Lake Placid? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Lake Placid?

09-15-2005, 09:02 AM
I'm new to fly fishing. But last year I went on a golf trip to the Lake Placid, NY area, an area I fell in love with and consider one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. Lake Placid itself, and all the other little bodies of water I passed on the highway, just strikingly beautiful, deep blue and calm water.

Then this summer I discovered fly fishing and haven't picked up a golf club since. I am thinking I would love to go back to Lake Placid or somewhere near there for a vacation, and wonder if it is a fly fishing destination. If so, what might an angler find in the streams that feed those lakes, or the lakes themselves? Has anyone visited and fished this area?

09-15-2005, 01:50 PM
You can fish the famous west branch of Ausable.

here are the like of flyshops, lodging and a visitor bureau:

(link removed)

(link removed)
you should stay here and fish with a scott pro guide Rachael Finn.

(link removed)
they have some big trout in the river.

have fun!

09-15-2005, 01:53 PM
I'd like to welcome you to the forum, but the plastering of promotional sites which is against the site policy forces me to have a different greeting.

The agreement you confirmed is simple - this environment reserves promotional activity for sponsors only.

Your post has been edited, but we'd love to talk to you and these businesses about sponsorship!

BTW - welcome to the Forum

09-15-2005, 01:55 PM
Thanks! That looks like a really great vacation. Any thoughts on time of year? Maybe spring? Too late to plan a fall trip this year. This is beautiful country up there.

Thanks again for the info and links.

09-15-2005, 06:17 PM
Ed: The area you refer to is my home turf. The fly fishing opportunities in the High Peaks region of the Adirondacks are in a word, exceptional! Although the Ausable is our claim to fame, other equally productive and exciting bodies of water surround my town. Five minutes before I read your thread I was deciding whether to make the 3 hr drive to one ofthe Ontario tribs for salmon or drive 10 minutes and access great landlock salmon, or 15 minutes to fish for browns/rainbows in rivers, or float a pond with brookies in excess of 5 lbs. Maybe I should try to match the 17 lb pike taken last February on a fly in the middle of the town of Saranac Lake. Send me a PM, maybe we can talk in detail.

Lucky Dave