Lake Placid? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Lake Placid?

EddieF
09-15-2005, 09:02 AM
I'm new to fly fishing. But last year I went on a golf trip to the Lake Placid, NY area, an area I fell in love with and consider one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. Lake Placid itself, and all the other little bodies of water I passed on the highway, just strikingly beautiful, deep blue and calm water.

Then this summer I discovered fly fishing and haven't picked up a golf club since. I am thinking I would love to go back to Lake Placid or somewhere near there for a vacation, and wonder if it is a fly fishing destination. If so, what might an angler find in the streams that feed those lakes, or the lakes themselves? Has anyone visited and fished this area?

Thanks.
Ed.

brookbow
09-15-2005, 01:50 PM
You can fish the famous west branch of Ausable.

here are the like of flyshops, lodging and a visitor bureau:

(link removed)

(link removed)
you should stay here and fish with a scott pro guide Rachael Finn.

(link removed)
they have some big trout in the river.

have fun!

:chuckle:

juro
09-15-2005, 01:53 PM
I'd like to welcome you to the forum, but the plastering of promotional sites which is against the site policy forces me to have a different greeting.

The agreement you confirmed is simple - this environment reserves promotional activity for sponsors only.

Your post has been edited, but we'd love to talk to you and these businesses about sponsorship!

BTW - welcome to the Forum

EddieF
09-15-2005, 01:55 PM
Thanks! That looks like a really great vacation. Any thoughts on time of year? Maybe spring? Too late to plan a fall trip this year. This is beautiful country up there.

Thanks again for the info and links.
Ed.

24-7
09-15-2005, 06:17 PM
Ed: The area you refer to is my home turf. The fly fishing opportunities in the High Peaks region of the Adirondacks are in a word, exceptional! Although the Ausable is our claim to fame, other equally productive and exciting bodies of water surround my town. Five minutes before I read your thread I was deciding whether to make the 3 hr drive to one ofthe Ontario tribs for salmon or drive 10 minutes and access great landlock salmon, or 15 minutes to fish for browns/rainbows in rivers, or float a pond with brookies in excess of 5 lbs. Maybe I should try to match the 17 lb pike taken last February on a fly in the middle of the town of Saranac Lake. Send me a PM, maybe we can talk in detail.

Lucky Dave