Alaska Mines and Wilderness Lakes.... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Alaska Mines and Wilderness Lakes....

Moonlight
09-14-2005, 09:24 PM
What better place to deposit Mine tailings than in the thousands of Lakes that dot the landside of the "Great Land". The Bushies have designated certain Mine Tailings to be "Fill" and are busy designating several pristine widerness Lakes in Alaska as sites suitable for filling!!
I don't make this stuff up there really are some Idiots out there in the Beltway that do not have a bloody thing to do with the security of our Homeland! :Eyecrazy:

salmo
09-14-2005, 10:02 PM
http://www.sierraclub.com/pressroom/releases/pr2005-09-12d.asp
Sierra Club Files Suit on Clean Water Act Violation.

Juneau, Alaska -- The Sierra Club, Lynn Canal Conservation, and the Southeast Alaska Conservation Council filed suit today against the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers for violating the Clean Water Act. The groups are challenging the issuing of a permit to Coeur d’Alene Mines of Idaho that would allow the deposit of 4.5 million tons of chemically processed mine waste into a freshwater alpine lake.

I have spoken with Sierra Club and was told that U.S. Army Corps of Engineers permit has no chance to stand ,specially in 9-Circuit court of Appeals which is very good in upholding environmental law.
It is just an another attempt by right-winger to make money on our land .

Salmo

DEERHAAWK
09-15-2005, 12:14 AM
Good article at bushgreenwatch.org, back issues for july 6, 05 on the Jeneau Kensington Mine.
Moonlight, thanks.....You all should take the time to get up to speed on this, and Salmo's right, there's alot of people out there that don't see the forest for the $$$$$$'s
Deerhawk