NH Coast is back in full swing [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: NH Coast is back in full swing

Mattb
09-07-2005, 06:15 AM
I snuck out for a couple hours after work last night hoping to cruise 1A and maybe find a few fish. Things were pretty slow late last week after the storm blew through, but I was hoping things would be a bit better last night.

The bait has definitely reorgainzed and the fish have found them. When I came off 101 I was greeted by the sight of a huge blitz in progress about 300 yards off Hampton Beach. I didn't have to go far to find some fish in closer.

I only managed a half dozen fish, all of them right around 26-28". The fish were actually busting the whole time I was out, they were just out of range for much of it. I enjoyed just standing there watching the spectacle.

I read elsewhere that the fishing was also quite good a bit further north. Get out there if you can- who knows how long it'll last?

rjbadfish
09-08-2005, 05:57 AM
Thanks for the report. I talked the boss into a 1/2 day today so I am heading out to Hampton/ Rye for a hopeful afternoon and evening bite. Anyone else going to be around?

Mattb
09-08-2005, 07:01 AM
I was out there again last night, and it was like a different world. I drove from 101 up to Seal Rocks and back without seeing a fish. On my way south I saw one small pod working sporadically about 300 yds off shore. I never even wet a line.

The surf is supposed to lay back down this afternoon, so it very well might be gangbusters out there again tonight, but I'll probably be at home- I need to put in some emergency vise time before the weekend.

doogue
09-08-2005, 06:56 PM
Matt,

I did not make it out tonight. Some poor souls got into a wreck in Littleton and my trip to corporate headquarters turned into a marathon retreat back home to NH.

I saw the same type of blitzes on Monday morning of this week. Before I even pulled onto 1A I could see the fish blitzing.

It was impressive, but they were all out of range that morning.

I hope that it keeps going strong for the next few weeks...

Mike

rjbadfish
09-12-2005, 07:00 AM
Fished the Hampton, Rye area on Thursday afternoon. Surf was still up. There were more surfers in the water than fish. I did see several blitzes well off shore and finally connected with a couple of stripers 18-25" at the mouth of the Hampton River on the outgoing.

doogue
09-12-2005, 08:26 PM
Yeah,

When the stripers are offshore the mouth of the river has been a solid bet.

There are some undulations in the sand there that rival those of the Big Girl Bar. Only there are far fewer 30" cows in Hampton compared to Chatham!

I have pulled some fish out of the humps when the bait is in the river.

Mike