SBFT Trip Tomorrow - Help Wanted [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: SBFT Trip Tomorrow - Help Wanted

JimW
09-01-2005, 01:58 PM
I'm going after the Tuna again tomorrow morning and have room for 1 other person. You'll need to be at the Plymouth ramp ~5am, bring whatever you need to eat/drink, dry storage is limited so a wet bag isn't a bad idea. Split the cost of fuel with me. You'd be better off with more than a 10wt if the fish run ~30lbs+ but feel free to give it a shot. If the seas kick up we'll go for bass/blues.

1st commited reply takes the slot. I'll check back ~7pm tonight and may look in from time to time this afternoon.

Disclaimer:

The boat rides WET!
We may not even see a fish.
Not responsible for damage to your equipment if we do hook up.
Since I don't own a 12 or 14wt I will use heavy spin gear on larger fish.
C&R is not an option for the 1st legal fish - I really like my tuna.

Did I mention the boat rides WET???

juro
09-01-2005, 02:39 PM
Jim -

Does the party require a permit or is it a per-boat thing?

very generous offer... pulling strings as hard as I can!

sean
09-01-2005, 02:43 PM
Jim if Juro is out I am in. Do I need a permit???

-sean

juro
09-01-2005, 02:51 PM
Sean,

Just got off a conf call and it doesn't look good for me for tomorrow although I haven't tried begging or stealing yet.

Smcdermott
09-01-2005, 04:33 PM
The vessel is permitted not the angler. One fish per boat 27"-73".

Sean

juro
09-01-2005, 06:12 PM
I am out - staring at a mountain of work problems and hoping for freedom by the weekend so a l-o-n-g day is in order tomorrow for sure.

Go get em!!

TimSt
09-01-2005, 07:00 PM
Jim,
Sent you an e-mail; please check if you get a chance.

Good luck tomorrow!

Tim

JimW
09-01-2005, 08:13 PM
Tim,
I don't see any mail. I'm getting PM's ok but I just changed my profile this afternoon since the mail address I had was giving me problems.

TimSt
09-01-2005, 08:30 PM
Jim,
PM sent!

Tim

GregD
09-02-2005, 01:49 PM
Jim

Good LucK out there, wish I could join you.

I hope you can find and catch some BBFT. I know I really enjoyed that slab of BFT for dinner camping in Rhody a while back.

Tight Lines,
Greg.

Quentin
09-02-2005, 06:25 PM
. . . Did I mention the boat rides WET???

LOL I've been on your boat, Jim, and I wished that I'd brought my raingear and a snorkel! :tongue:

Hope you found some fish out there!

Q

JimW
09-03-2005, 09:09 AM
Q,
We were slightly overloaded that day but it's pretty wet when the wind kicks up. On some days a scuba tank and mask wouldn't be a bad idea though.

We saw literally tons of tuna, had a bunch of good shots but no takers. I saw two hookups, one troller and the other was already on when we saw them with a rod pointing straight down into the depths. I thought most of the people were very well behaved if not courteous but I do prefer to move away from the crowds.

I don't feel too bad about not hooking up considering one of the regulars at my ramp who I rate as a top notch angler went 0 for X as well. Pete, thanks for pointing us in the right direction. Thanks to sponsor Captain Charlie Lemieux of http://www.cats-cradle-charters.com for mentioning a spot that we spent most of the day on tuna with not a lot of company.

One of the highlights was a big basking shark, very impressive, this thing was bigger than big but all the video camera picked up was the fin above the water.

On the return trip we saw something that looked like bonito to me, possibly small < 10lb tuna rushing a bait ball. The way they were all slashing in one direction at the same time sure looked like bones. When they went under the boat you could see that they were some sort of funny fish with their pectoral fins fully extended. These fish seemed to me much slimer than the bluefin and Sean commented on the Green color of their backs. They simply should not be where we were but the water temp was 70.

TimSt
09-03-2005, 01:33 PM
Our day was similar to Jim's--lots and lots of shots with a variety of flies, and 2 bumps and one breakoff on the strike. Very, very picky fish (the Rhody fish were pushovers compared to these!), though a buddy on another boat got one on a Kastmaster.

We also saw a basking shark--even knowing what it was, still made the hairs on my neck stand up being alongside that thing in an 18' boat. Also saw some whales breaching (broaching??).

A great day on the water, even if we didn't have sushi for dinner. Jim, thanks for checking in with us to make sure we found the fish.
Tim

sean
09-03-2005, 08:19 PM
Impressive stuff that will make a man forget all about steelheading back west. Thanks Jim for the invite and just seeing all those fish made my day.

-sean

JimW
09-04-2005, 09:31 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking of developing up a 12 step system for this.
1. Put the Gaff down and step away from tuna!

I had the kids on the boat this morning, we missed sunrise but got some blues and stayed inshore so I'm on my way to recovering.

Might make another attempt tomorrow but the conditions don't look great.

Penguin
09-04-2005, 09:54 PM
Admitting that you have a "problem" is the first step to recovery! :D

But...Just in case you have a "relapse"...
I am ready for short notice, spray in the face, intervention advocacy! :wink: