Fly Tying Materials? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Fly Tying Materials?

Bass Snagger
08-31-2005, 02:58 PM
Does anyone know of a online store where you can buy fly tying materials? I am also interested in making some poppers for Bass. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

juro
08-31-2005, 03:20 PM
Any of our sponsor shops will mail you materials, but I usually prefer to select naturals myself in person because of the varying grades of feathers and furs.

Give the sponsor list a peek and try them out, you'll get personal service and help keep this site running at the same time!

(welcome to the forum)

Charlie
08-31-2005, 03:54 PM
Juro has some good advise,

They are all great shops, I have purchased things from most of them and have always gotten great service. A few are even in your home state of Massachusetts.

Charlie

flytyer
08-31-2005, 09:28 PM
Along with Juro and Charlie, I recommend you contact our sponsors, some of whom have web sites, and tell them what you are looking for and what you are going to be tying. You can be assured they will only sell you stuff that will work for what you are tying. You will find they will give you good advice and provide you with good materials.

Bass poppers are very easy to make. All you need is some old, flip-flops (beach sandals), or buy some really cheap ones, to cut the body foam cylinders out of. (You can also buy preformed bodies, which makes it even easier because then you don't need to shape them.). You can also use old wine corks. You can get rather long foam sticks of 3/8", 1/2", or 5/8" at model shops that sell model airplane supplies and use those too. Balsa wood is also good and it can also be found in the model airplane shops.

If you cut your own cylinders from old flip-flops, foam sticks, balsa wood, or wine corks, shape them to have a taper from front to back with a utility knife or single edge razor blade and sandpaper. Or you can use one of the many rotary tools (i.e. Dremel, Black & Decker, Sears) on the market and use a sanding disk to shape the foam, which is what I would do because it is faster and easier. After they are shaped, you need to paint them and the best paints are the vinyl or flexible epoxy enamels found in model shops or fly shops that sell popper making supplies. Dip, spray, or brush the paint on and hang them to dry.

After they are shaped and painted, cut a slit in the bottom with a utility knife and glue them to a "popper hook" (these are special long-shanked hooks with an "s" bend in the shank to keep the body from twisting around the hook) with medium viscosity super glue, 5 minute epoxy, Duco Cement, or Gorilla Glue. Don't glue the popper body on the hook until after you tie on the hackle and pusher legs at the rear of the hook though.

To add rubber legs to the popper, use a large needle to pull the rubber legs through the popper body and put a little Flexament on the rubber after you start pulling it through the body to glue into place.

Pap
09-19-2005, 11:20 PM
I have some excess deer hair, natural color and some turkey wing if
you want to tye some cheap. Just contact me e-mail
jebrown2993@yahoo.com.

Good luck, I use hair poppers for just about everything.

Hey, almost forgot, you can get some small corks at you'r local
hardware store. Just slot the cork with a hacksaw blade, or if you
have a dremele tool with sanding disks.
Base warp the hook with dubbing (this gives a good base for the cork),
and glue in place.
These can be painted with model car paint, or I found that different color
glitter works well.