my new fishing hole... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: my new fishing hole...

teflon_jones
08-29-2005, 08:41 AM
My mom built a pond this spring in a field at her farm in upstate New York. It's a triangle sort of shape, about 175 x 175 x 250 ft, or a bit under a half an acre. The depth is about 10' and on two sides it slopes down pretty quickly, and on one side it's a bit more gradual. As soon as she built it I was bugging her about putting fish in it, and on a weekend visit I finally got her to do it!

We went to a hatchery about 1.5 hours away from her house and picked up thirty 30 8" catfish, 500 minnows, and 30 3" largemouth bass (total price $139). Everybody except for a couple of minnows survived the ride back and is now in the pond. The catfish keep the bottom clean, the minnows eat bugs, larvae, and stuff that makes the water dirty, and the bass keep the minnows in check so they don't overpopulate the pond. Now I just need to find out how long it takes a bass to grow to 10 lbs... :)

I've attached a pic of the pond during construction to give you an idea of its size. The bulldozer on the far bank is a full-sized model, not a toy. ;) The pond hold approximately 650,000 gallons.

Future plans include the introduction of some grass carp to control the weeds. It'll take a couple of years for enough green stuff to grow to support the carp, maybe even 5 years. The fisheries manager said that 7-8 carp should keep it clean (and provide some great sport!). My mom is also going to add some water lilies to the pond, which I'm sure the bass will like. There's already cat tails growing on the banks.

OC
08-29-2005, 01:04 PM
Teflon,

Every boy needs a pond like that in his back yard. When you visit your mom you will have a hard time answering the dinner bell. Will it be spring fed with an outlet? You should put some one of your old Porche's in the pond for structure so the big ones have a secure home. :chuckle:

teflon_jones
08-29-2005, 02:09 PM
It's just fed by runoff OC. My parent's property is pretty wet! It'll be nice to just walk out the back door and go fishing, even if the pond isn't huge. I can cast to the center of it with a 5 wt fly rod from a decent amount of the shore.

I bet they'd love to have a Porsche in there for a little structure... :)

p.s. How do you know about the Porsches? :confused:

OC
08-29-2005, 02:39 PM
Google search like you said! Everyone should have more than one hobby, eh!