NH Coast- get out there, but bring a Kayak [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: NH Coast- get out there, but bring a Kayak

Mattb
08-25-2005, 10:21 PM
After reading some glowing reports elsewhere, and chickening out because of the weather last night, I finally made it over to the coast tonight.

I found plenty of fish but very few close enough to shore to catch. There was a nice pod about 200 yards off the beach at my first stop in Hampton- they were just sitting there, never moved in closer.

I drove up 1A a ways and found a few more pods, all well out of range. I finally found some fish within spincasting range just north of Rye Harbor. I managed 4 twinkies as the fish moved in and out(mostly out). There were fish up for the better part of 3 hours, but 99% of that time they were well out of range.

I don't own a kayak, but I was wishing I'd brought my surfboard, or an innertube, maybe an inflatable mattress...

There's plenty of bait around and the fish know it. It's just a matter of putting the time in to find some fish in close

doogue
08-26-2005, 06:53 AM
Matt,

Too bad they were out of range. I suppose I am lucky on 2 accounts:

1. I was standing in the middle of a big school 2 nights ago (they came in and surrounded the little point I was standing on).

2. I have a kayak. :lildevl:

There are plenty of guys in NH that float tube the surf on calm days. I may actually try that next week. You can actually borrow my tube if you like.

I will drop you a note if I am planning on heading out next week. If I do not have to go on a business trip then I will be fishing.

Mike

Mattb
08-26-2005, 08:02 AM
Mike, I have a float tube, but float tubing in current has always made me a bit nervous- I don't speak Portugese.

I think it's just a matter of being in the right place at the right time. I stopped where I did because I thought the wind and tide would bring the fish to me- it just never happened. For all I know they might've been right up against the rocks 5 minutes to the north, or they might've moved into one of the spots I'd already passed just after I left. There's a lot of luck involved in hitting it right this time of year.

Mattb
08-26-2005, 08:51 PM
Well, I found the right spot tonight- all the schoolies you could catch on a chart/white clouser for almost 3 hours until the sun went down.

No big fish, but it was a heck of a time. The only casts that wouldn't catch fish were the ones that caught seaweed or snagged a peanut (or two- that was a first for me).

I'll be out for an hour or 2 bright and early- hopefully the fish will be right where I left 'em.