Pemaquid Harbor Maine/Area info needed [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Pemaquid Harbor Maine/Area info needed

PhilaBill
08-24-2005, 01:05 PM
I will be in Pemaquid Harbor this weekend and wondering if Stripers are still in the area or have they already started migrating south. No boat - so will be shore and wade fishing. I see from previous posts "way up in pemaquid harbor" and "way up in Johns Bay" as some spots for shore fishing. Can anyone give me (PM) more specific driving directions or landmarks? Never been in this part of Maine and don't know if access points are obvious or is most of the area private property??

doogue
08-24-2005, 09:32 PM
All I can say is that a solid technique this time of year is to drive the beaches and look for blitzing bass.

I do not know the area but on the NH coast right now this is a solid technique. When you find the bait you will find the bass.

I should know. I found keeper bass that way tonight and I have striper thumb to show for it. :lildevl:

Good luck,

Mike

CascoBay
08-26-2005, 02:19 PM
If you head down 2 penisulas to Bath, head to Popham beach. The fish are strong on the beach and most of the big guys are still in grazing mode, but the schools of bait are starting to create the blitzes at low light time. You can go to the state park or to the Fort and fish the mouth of the Kennebec.

Good Luck

Aaron

Chris
08-27-2005, 11:09 PM
Yup, Like C.B. said and also the Small Point side of the river at Reed State Park can be good. We fished off Old Orchard Beach today, although from a boat, and there were huge balls of bait being blitzed by marauding mobs of stripers and blues together. Much of the melee was reachable from shore. I'm sure the beaches in Kennebec area will be the same as far as fish and bait. Much of the juvie alewife run out of the Kenny will be starting and this can be very exciting fishing the beach at Fort Popham as many large fish move back in for the feast.

Because the Peninsulas in Maine are many and long I suggest you pick a beach to fish and make it a day. You can waste a lot of time driving to frustration and back and do no fishing at all. Fort Popham is nice, you can bring a significant other and have a nice day together. The is a lobster restaurant near the fort and there is a store that makes good burgers and hase nearly everything to get you through a morning including excellent fried egg sandwiches on the cheap if you go early to return to the brood later. .The river side isn't the best place for little ones if you bring any. It's safe enough but you'll want to have someone to watch them all the time as the river can be deceptively serene, fall in though and it's next stop France. Around the corner and a ways down the beach is better for kids.
Luck