October. . . where to go [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: October. . . where to go

bbbfish
08-22-2005, 04:48 PM
So: If you could go anywhere in North America, Central America or the Caribbean during the first week of October, where would you go? One further caveat, the Northeast is off limits Ė Iím meeting a buddy of mine who lives up there, and we want to travel a bit away from that area, and off the beaten path a little. While the fishing is likely to be great up there that time of year, we donít want to fish with the crowds or near cities, and are just kind of looking for a fun and interesting getaway.

Weíll be doing a combination of day trips with guides and DIY, or otherwise stay around spending $1000-$1500 per person (so a lodge, even if we could book one this late, is likely out of the question).

Hereís what Iím thinking: Alaska or Belize. In AK, we can hit the end of a few silver runs, should be able to find some big rainbows, and maybe find some steelhead (any suggestions as to where we might consider going would be appreciated Ė Iíve done the Kenai in early August, Kodiak in October, and the Denali area in late August Ė all amazing trips). I was thinking of another trip to Kodiak, but wouldnít mind branching out a bit.

My other thought is Belize. The weather can be unpredictable, but still sounds like itís not bad (mostly). I just took my first bonefishing trip this past spring (to Belize) and canít wait to go back. Iím leaning towards Belize, but wanted to put it out there to see if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks in advance to any responses,
Brad

juro
08-22-2005, 04:54 PM
Is that including airfare?

Smolt
08-22-2005, 05:37 PM
If the water is right, go to New Brunswick or Nova Scotia and fish for atlantic salmon. NS may be your best bet because you do not need a guide to fish, but its alot farther than NB. Hire a guide for the first day or two and then DIY. A guide will cost you about $100USD per day in NB -- that's $50 each, including tip.

bbbfish
08-22-2005, 08:03 PM
Nope, airfair is covered, the 1000-1500 is the spending $ (food, lodging, guides, etc.)

And thanks for the NB tip, I hadn't thought of that, I'll look into it.

teflon_jones
08-23-2005, 11:34 AM
If you go to the Caribbean you risk a hurricane, though it is towards the end of the season and Belize is off the normal hurricane path a bit. I'm not sure if you can do Belize for your budget though. It'll be pretty tight. I would think about going out west for some trout fishing and stay in a national park.

juro
08-23-2005, 11:50 AM
It would be a choice of either British Columbia for fall steelhead or Canadian Maritimes for fall atlantics if it were me.

Pacific Northwest lower 48 would be third best, Washington/Oregon steelhead is hard to beat in October.

I'd worry about storm season near the equator in October.

fcch
08-23-2005, 04:07 PM
Off the beaten track would include us I think.

http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/2004/IM001146.jpg

http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/2004/IM001150.jpg

Hit my profile and then homewaters.

You don't need a Guide as I can send to you all the details, GPS waypoints if needed and Google earth spots recommended flies, and tactics. Rod fees are 17$ cnd per day + provicnial licence (sport fishing, not salmon licence)

Small sea run brookies 'bout 10-14 inches fresh from the salt :)

Season closes Saturday Oct 15th :( (at sunset)

bbbfish
08-25-2005, 04:17 AM
So, is the consensus that I shouldn't try Belize or Ak? I mean, I've been to AK in October, and it was great, but not on the mainland. Belize I can definately do on that budget ($250/day+ tip for fishing, figure 6 days or less, that's approx 1700 - and hotels are really cheap this time of year, and a little over-budget won't hurt), so I'm still tempted, and there's only a small % chance for a hurricane (knock wood). AK is actually a little more expensive, but I don't need a guide as often.

But I'm curious about the NB trip proposed. Any more specifics? Guides, etc.? ARe there really guides that cheap? What's the fishing like? Any specific rivers?

Anyone got an Vancouver island suggestions?

I'm going to be happy fishing wherever, but I only get a few chances a year to take a big trip, and this is my first one since last summer, so I definitely want to take advantage of the time.

teflon_jones
08-25-2005, 10:33 AM
I've been thinking about this a bit and while I understand the desire to go somewhere different, October is prime fishing time for a lot of species in the northeast and I wouldn't want to go anywhere else. From salmon to trout to stripers to largemouth bass, they're all going to be great fishing at that time of year here! :)

Dble Haul
08-25-2005, 10:41 AM
I have to agree with the esteemed Mr. Teflon. :wink:

When October rolls around, there's truly no place I'd rather be from an angling standpoint than Rhode Island. I'm thankful that it's a reasonably short drive from my location in Connecticut.

But to your point bbbfish, I certainly understand the desire to wander and fish someplace else. Good luck to you regardless of where you end up going.

BigDave
08-25-2005, 11:02 AM
I would definitely consider Belize/Mex that time of year. A freind of mine has been going down there for years and always goes in October.

Weather is always the x-factor no matter where you go - including your own back yard.

Harkers is good that time of year if you're looking to stay domestic...

teflon_jones
08-25-2005, 01:07 PM
I have to agree with the esteemed Mr. Teflon. :wink:
Wow, there's a first time for everything! ;)

Weather is always the x-factor no matter where you go - including your own back yard.

Very true. I went up to Grand Lake Stream for 5 days in June and it rained, rained, rained. Nobody was catching any good salmon at all. I landed one 19"er in 4 days trying for them. (which was still better than most people could say, everybody was getting shut out)

bbbfish
08-25-2005, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the input - still deciding.

If I can manage to get some additional lag time b/tw jobs, Iím actually going to try to take a week back East as well Ė so hopefully Iíll be able to get the best of both worlds. But yeah, in a perfect world Iíd be headed to the Pulaski area and Montauk for a week or two of fun, then maybe a few days on the Housatonic with some buddies (at least thatís my hope for week 2 of October).

However, for this trip, I need a more exotic locale, and I think Iím going to go with Belize. Maybe spend a couple of days down in Placencia, then relax and yak around Caye Caulker for a day or to, then finish off the trip with 4-5 days at Ambergris.

For now, though, Iím going to head up to Oregon and sneak in two days on the Deschutes next week (or maybe a day on the Deschutes, and a day on the John Day). Anyone familiar with the John Day, feel free to share any tips. I lived in Portland for 6 years, and I think I fished the Deschutes nearly once a week (I would drive the 4-5 hour round trip for just an 2-3 hours of fishing - I love that river), at the neglect of every other river in Oregon. When I lived in NY I developed a love of smallmouth on the Rondout river one hot summer day, and I'm sorely tempted to try the John Day.

I havenít fished since April (winding down a company sucks), so I'm going a little stir crazy. Iím in Los Angeles, and try as I might, I just canít quite get myself to get excited about fishing off of the Santa Monica beach Ė Iíll get to it eventually, and Iím sure itíll be fun, but for now I miss fishing around NYC Ė but who would have guessed there are wild trout 45 minutes from downtown NYC, or stripers in the surf just a subway ride away? It's the only reason I miss NYC.

acklinsboy
08-25-2005, 02:16 PM
Try Acklins!

The islands are good any time of the year.

Speaking of hurricane season is comparable to telling someone from L.A. not to go to a baseball game during the summer as there might be an earthquake.

Take a small manageable risk, catch lots of fish or fish from the safety of one's bath tub!!

Easy options.

juro
08-25-2005, 02:35 PM
YES ACKLINS!

That would be the perfect combination of exotic and affordable. Do a search and you'll find lots of good discussion as we will be regular travelers to this bonefish 'mecca'.

bbbfish
08-25-2005, 03:36 PM
It's funny, I read about your Acklins trip here (was it back a couple of months ago?). Sounds amazing.

I actually had waived off the Bahamas as too expensive. A quick search only yeilded a lot of terrbily expensive lodges in Acklins. Is it really affordable to go there (food, lodging, etc.)? Are there affordable guides for the non-DIY days? I'll definitely want to guide at least a few days, as I'm fairly new to the whole bonefish trade.

acklinsboy
08-25-2005, 04:08 PM
There are affordable ways of fishing Acklins.

I can hook you up! PM me.

bonefishmon
08-26-2005, 12:10 PM
I'm curious too! I sent a PM.

Phil