Chatham Classic [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Chatham Classic

BigDave
08-22-2005, 09:49 AM
Since the tuna bite dried up, a friend and I opted to fish Chatham on Saturday. We hoped to find some fish on top with the recent infusion of peanut bunker. It took hours of searching but we finally found them slurping and smashing bait in the dense fog. Some schools were on bunker, others were casually slurping krill. The bonus was all of the fish were keepers and they were not shy. We C&R'd 16 or so up to 36-37 inches in about 2 hours. Finally had to take a break for food and water and in doing so lost them in the fog. The bait seemed to be moving with the tide and the bass were definitely moving with them. Searched around for them but they had dissapeared.

On the way back to the ramp we ran into literally acres of 5-6 pound bluefish pounding bunker. I switched to a floater on the 9 and had a blast throwing bangers and gurglers into the fray. Awesome visuals watching pods of fish follow and blast the fly on top. The blitzes were reminiscent of Naraganssett Bay in Sept but without the crowds. This went on for hours until we had to leave breaking fish to go home.

FishHawk
08-22-2005, 01:02 PM
Great report. FishHawk

juro
08-22-2005, 04:19 PM
Add a hardtail and you'd have slammed in a big way! Or are you saving that for next week... :)

BigDave
08-22-2005, 04:21 PM
Got my biggest dogfish of the year....does that count?