NORTH WEST TERRITORIES TRIP [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: NORTH WEST TERRITORIES TRIP

FrenchCreek
08-21-2005, 07:23 PM
This is definitly not "warm water" when you go this far north, but since the primary target was pike, i figured it would fit in this forum.
If you seriously want an honest chance at Fly Fishing for trophy Northern Pike and then hooking up with trophy Lake Trout, then you must consider a trip to Lac La Martre in Canada’s North West Territories. As you can see, large fish are about and the thrill of hooking up to some of these monsters is just one aspect of the trip. Sight fishing for giant pike, in small bays is the way to go with a fly rod. For gear, a 9 weight rod will do quite well either with a dry line for surface fishing or a type 3 sink tip to get to some fish that prefer the lay deeper. A good assortment of flies is a must since these toothy critters will put a fly through its pace in a hurry. Large white flies that imitate lake whitefish work very well, as do various white rabbit strip patterns. My favourite fly, Pete’s Yakka-Pikka and Mark’s pink & yellow “woolly Bullies” were fished and produced consistently on both the dry line and the sink tip line. Surface patterns also produced large fish, Deer hair frog patterns, foam head patterns and Dahlberg diver style patterns did the trick equally well.
If you want a real thrill, cast a small frog pattern to a cruising hog and the explosion of water that happens when they take the fly will scare the pants right off you! Often times, the challenge is to target a large fish and keep your fly from being gobbled up by a smaller fish that comes out of nowhere and attacks the fly. But let’s be clear, a small fish can range for 3 pounds up to 12 pounds and larger fish are counted as being in the “teens”, like 13 pounds and up. My best fish was a 20 pound pike and I had many “teens, in fact I think Jim and me both covered all the teens, 13,14,15,16,17,18,19 -teen.

Quentin
08-21-2005, 09:22 PM
Great report! Sounds like an awesome trip! I've recently become addicted to topwater fishing for pike. They way they try to destroy the fly leaves me stunned every time :whoa: . And the ones I've been getting are just little ones according to your definitions :hihi: . Must be awesome to sight cast to the big ones!

Q

Dble Haul
08-22-2005, 09:51 AM
Thanks for a great report Pete. Some day I will have to make it up there and fish those waters.

I look forward to your arrival here out east in a short time.

DEERHAAWK
08-22-2005, 11:40 PM
Pete,
Excelent Photos! Sounds like a great time. Its been a few years and I miss the "Big" fish, the agressivness. 8 inches of teeth powered by 3 feet of muscle! :devil:
Deerhawk

juro
08-23-2005, 06:42 AM
Pete -

Looks like you've been big game hunting with a flyrod! Great adventure, I'll have to try it one of these days.