new guy needs some advice [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: new guy needs some advice

HawgFlies
08-19-2005, 08:17 PM
I'm relatively new to fly fishing this year. I have a Reddington 5wt combo that I recieved a few years back as a gift, but I never got around to learning how to fly fish. Well, after a trip to the Ausable(NY) river this summer, i got the itch to get going! I got myself a Cabelas 7pc 5wt rod that I can take on the bike when the urge hits too. I know its a KPOS to the ROFF guys, but for the price, i couldn't beat it, and it seems pretty darn nice.

I've been out for trout a few times on the Genesee, but it's been a really hot summer here. Hoping to get back down there when it cools off a bit.

Anyhow, I'm thinking I'd like to try steelhead this year on the Erie tribs. I'm thinking of getting a 9'6 or 10' 8wt rod for this and possibly some salmon fishing as well.
Any advice, pro-con's to either one as far as length would be appreciated. I'd like to stay in the $200-250 range for both the rod and reel if possible.

Thanks for any help....Seems like a great forum. I've been doing quite a bit of reading :Eyecrazy:

fcch
08-20-2005, 01:15 PM
H,

Well congrats on getting "Hooked" ...

As for a steelhead/salmon rod, ... there are lots of good sticks out there. I only recently had a chance to try out the TFO rods and I was impressed (not just 'cause they are sponsors here).

The $$ part of your heavy rod is the reel. The reel on heavier rods is (imho) a bit more important than on a small trout rod. You need a good smooth drag and enough space for backing. The TFO reels look good, ... but I haven't tried them, ... so I can't comment. http://www.templeforkflyrods.com

One indestructible reel I've had for years (one of my first salmon reels) is a Cortland LTD 120 (which I think got bumped when the Vista Turbine came out). Their reels go for less than 100$ USD.

Good luck, ... choosing new gear can be daunting/frustrating. If you can , ... hit a shop that'll let you try before 'ya buy. A heavy rod can get REALLY HEAVY real quick, ... so casting one first is desirable.

p.s. ,... Only MY personal preference, .. but a 10 ft rod is a blast. More line control for reaching, bumping and rolling. :)

Charlie
08-22-2005, 01:24 PM
As usual Chris has some very good advise. Sage, another sponsor, also has some rods in your price range.

I would also recommend going to a good fly shop in your area and getting some hands on testing with some of there rods. Or call one of our sponsor fly shops. They are all very good.

I also live in the WNY area so send me a PM if you need any more assistance. I know the owners and managers of just about every shop in the area.

Charlie.

Dornblaser
08-22-2005, 03:29 PM
If you have not already, I would suggest taking casting lessons.

David

HawgFlies
08-22-2005, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I stopped into Buffalo Outfitters and The Oak Orchard shop on Saturday. They both have limited stock right now, but are expecting shipments of steelhead gear soon. I did check out a TFO and a Sage Fli rod though...both seem pretty nice for the money.

I'm going to take some casting lessons soon too.

Too many choices...not enogh money :eek:

chrome king
09-11-2005, 07:46 AM
Hawg fly I am a ausable veteran ,and also a steelhead salmon guy. I would urge you to look at Orvis for high quality goods at a low price. They offer a 10' 8wt with a large arbor reel lifetime on rod and 2 yr. on reel for around 530.00 dollars which is cheap in this arena. good fishing to you and good luck
P.S. most shops will include line and backing if you dicker a little.

HawgFlies
09-12-2005, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the info Chrome King.

I ended up getting a St. Croix 9'6" imperial for a decent price( lifetime warranty too, with case) and I picked up a used Tioga 8wt reel from a local shop while up fishing the Ausable over labor day weekend. Got that for a nice price too.

Had a great time fishing the Ausable, such an awesome river to be on, let alone catch fish. We caught some some nice trout, no trophies, but nice fish. Next year I plan on getting a guide...money was too tight this year.

Thanks again