RI BFT Sunday & Monday....info ? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: RI BFT Sunday & Monday....info ?

Jim Miller
08-18-2005, 09:45 AM
Dragging my boat down to RI to chase those Tuna you all have been talking about. If anyone has any up to the moment info and would like to share.....please PM or e-mail me. Also it would be great to buddy boat and share info OTW.
(Jimbo on the Deb-It).
Time to tie some flies! :rolleyes: :D

08-18-2005, 12:16 PM
...What are you throwing at them and what are you using for leaders??

Jim Miller
08-18-2005, 12:25 PM
FLIES to imitate small bait (peanuts, siversides) and maybe snapper bluefish @ 6".
Anyone going to be out there or have any current info?

08-18-2005, 01:27 PM
We have been using 4 feet of straight 20# floro.

Bait: very small peanuts 1 - 2 inches.

Be sure to double-check tippet, knots and hooks. They will expose you :Eyecrazy:

Might be out this weekend if reports and water temps improve.

There are skippies around too :biggrin:

Jim Miller
08-18-2005, 01:43 PM
Thanks Dave
any luck w/ crease flies?
hopefully the water will warm back up w/ those South winds.... :wink:

08-18-2005, 03:39 PM
I am tentatively going to be out in the area on Sunday, have to spend time with the Misses on Saturday but Sunday looks like a go. Make double sure that all of your equipment is triple checked and everything is in tip top shape or else you will find out quickly how powerful these fish are. If you have trouble getting hooked up w/30 lb. drop to 20 lb. but no lower than that and I highly recommend 12 wt. rod. We have been landing them with 9-10 wt. equipment but it will put a hurting on you, I used a 12 wt. on Sunday and it was a significantly more efficient tool than the lighter rods. The most recent reports I have are from yesterday and they were not positive, no fish all day and there were guy's out from 6:00 am. on. This was off of Newport area, not sure if they were over off of Charlestown or not but they were definitely not around the areas we have been hitting the past week or so. Time will tell if they have vacated or not but another trip to find out is worth it.

Dble Haul
08-18-2005, 04:12 PM
I don't think that this recent push of cooler water is helping any, but hopefully a few days of south wind will help the cause. Otherwise, Adrian and I will have to settle for stripers, blues, and possibly albies/bonito.....

There are worse things in life. :cool:

Jim Miller
08-18-2005, 06:36 PM
thanks for the update. We will probably launch out of Point Judith and go from there.
I will fish a 11 wt & a 14 wt depending on how big the fish are. If they are running 25-35 lbs I'll fish my 11 wt Orvis. Caught a bunch on fly & spin in late July on my ACK vacation......they do PULL! :D
What channels do you monitor? We will hail to DEB-IT. Probably will not be OTW till 8 or 9 am Sunday (driving out from upstate NY early morn). Monday should see us out there at dawn.
I think (hope) you are correct & the South wind will blow warmer water & bait back in.

Please post or e-mail if you hear of any news in the coming days.

08-18-2005, 11:07 PM
We took an early morning run out off Sakonett today, Sean had the morning off and I work nights. Water temps were down to 67, a couple of days ago it was 72. Saw 0 fish in 4 hr, not even a blue.

08-19-2005, 07:10 AM
We managed to find them Wednesday, once in the general area we were able to drift and they'd pop up right next to the boat. When we did need to bump up on them they were not disturbed by the motor. Hooked 2 breifly and I'm calling it a huge success. I'll PM you the location. Funny thing was we had water temps up to 71 but every time we came upon them it was 67 in over 80'. Only once did we ever have another boat around us and we managed to scare him off with just a stare and some arm movements. I was waiting patiently as we drifted towards a nice school, 10wt in hand with a floater and tiny fly. The planets had finally aligned and this was the shot at a tuna on the fly - enter boat ripping right through the school and suddenly stopping. Oh well, the rest of the shots after that were out of my casting range.

These looked to be a nice 10wt/12wt size fish but there were a few ~30lb fish (estimating) in the mix but just a few.

Jim Miller
08-19-2005, 07:26 AM
Thanks Jim
We will be fishing out of Point Judith. The weather for Sunday is a concern. DENSE FOG AND THUNDERSTORMS......nice combo! :Eyecrazy:
They have to be somewhere.......just got to find them!
Thanks for all the info...will try to use it to find them :wink:

08-19-2005, 09:28 PM

PM Sent answering questions for you. The fog is not what concerns me it's the 10-15 SW wind w/gusts to 25 which is exactly the weather we had last weekend. We got our brains beat out coming back to PJ took over an hour to traverse the 11 mi. back to the ramp and there were 4-6 ft. seas that were steep and unrelenting. Taking the wait and see approach and going to see what the sources tell me tomorrow.

Jim Miller
08-20-2005, 08:05 AM
Thanks Mike
Yup ....it always makes you second guess a trip like this.
You plan weeks in advance only to have the weather change it's mind at the last minute....ARGHHHHH :Eyecrazy:

Jim Miller
08-20-2005, 10:41 AM
Based on the NOAA report and prospects of finding RI tuna....we have have aborted the mission. Thanks to all for the intel and tips. I will hopefully try again in the near future.

08-20-2005, 05:53 PM
I got out there today and even with the fog patches we managed to cover some serious territory. Not a tuna, or even a bluefish in sight. We marked some fish real deep but did not see one.
The birds even took the day off but the bait was everywhere, squid, possibly spike mack, silversides and tons of p-nuts.

08-21-2005, 06:22 AM
I'm looking for crew for tomorrow.

08-21-2005, 10:36 AM
Tough day for me, have to go to work and get someone to work on a fading, dispersive channel problem :biggrin:

08-21-2005, 09:18 PM
If only I lived closer and didn't have to work I would be there in a second. I am hopelessly Tuna bitten and the fever is high. After the great success we had the last couple of weeks I am already Jonesin' for some more tuna time.

08-21-2005, 11:01 PM
I'm looking for crew for tomorrow.

DAMN! I just got in from a long drive (but worth it!)

08-22-2005, 07:21 AM
Josko. I tried in vain to get the day off without success. I doubt my gear can handle the battles but it would have been a great opportunity to learn and watch.
Please put me on your list for the next outing and I will try again with more notice.


08-22-2005, 08:15 AM
Anyone make it out? I heard the bite has dried up :(

08-22-2005, 10:08 AM
The fish we were targeting seem to have vacated the area but reports east and north are good so maybe Jim Miller went east and got into them today. Have to wait and see what happens. Still plenty of bait and water temps are still good but the fish decided to vamoose???? Have not heard any reports on the other tunas yet but when I do I'll let you know.

08-22-2005, 10:31 AM
Thanks Mike.

Albies soon! There were skippies out there mixed in with the tuna a week ago.

Good luck.

Jim Miller
08-22-2005, 10:44 AM
We ended up cancelling the RI trip. The reports of no Tuna & the Sat. NOAA both contributed to the decision. Thanks all for the replies......I'll be out to the Cape to try again in the coming weeks! :)

Jim Miller
08-22-2005, 01:28 PM
I've got a hunch where the Tuna went.