Dean Channel Commercial Fishing ? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Dean Channel Commercial Fishing ?

Bob Pauli
08-12-2005, 10:02 AM
Our Dean River group July 22-29 experienced worst ever lack of fish, which we heard was, unfortunately, shared by the group that followed us.

Yesterday, lodge owner John Blackwell stated the BC government had opened the Dean Channel to commercial fishing during part of these periods.

Will someone please show me how to access BC fisheries [or other] records that relate?

Your help will be thoroughly appreciated.

juro
08-12-2005, 10:19 AM
Depressing news Bob.

There are some stats here:

http://www-sci.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/sa/Commercial/AnnSumm_e.htm

But I have to wonder if the kind of current and localized data you seek can be obtained without a direct inquiry - the request for data link is also provided on that page.

Bob Pauli
08-12-2005, 03:03 PM
Thank you, Juro.

Eric
08-13-2005, 05:28 PM
Hi, Bob,

Another thought on this: have you contacted Art Lingren of the Totem Flyfishers? I know the group keeps extensive catch records and your experience this year may be at variance with their statistics for July for prior years.

With all the hoops the non-resident angler has to jump through to get a few days on the Dean, and as important as the Dean fishery is to the local economy, and with all the Draconian rules that govern the sports fishery on the stream, it's ridiculous to have a commercial net fishery in the Dean Channel at the height of the Dean steelhead run.

Let us know what you find out.

Cheers,

Eric

andre
08-14-2005, 09:23 AM
As I recall to throw an aditional complication Salmon are managed by the Federal Fisheries and Steelhead managed by the Provencial Fisheries.

Bob Pauli
08-14-2005, 12:16 PM
Thank you, Eric. How does one contact Art Lingren?

Eric
08-14-2005, 03:05 PM
Hi, Bob,

Art Lingren is a member of this forum. Just do a search on the members lists, and his email address is posted there.

Cheers,

Eric