Jesus & the 98 MPH fastball! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Jesus & the 98 MPH fastball!

OC
08-10-2005, 10:02 AM
Ok baseball fans of the Northwest has the new great one arrived in Mariners land? Since the kid was 16 years old the entire baseball world has been telling us Felix Hernandez will be the second coming of you know who. At 19 and the youngest pitcher to start in years he has not disapointed at all. One earned run in his first 13 innings but that's not important yet. Did you see his comand of all three of his pitches? From a 97 MPH fast ball with real movement then to a 82 MPH change up that really had the batters swinging before the ball got half way to the plate. Then the curve that not one batter in the twins line up came close to making contact with.
I realize things will get tougher for him as teams get to play against him and the scouting reports come in. But do you get the feeling this kid will just continue to take his game a notch higher every time he needs too.

KerryS
08-10-2005, 10:32 AM
We have something to look forward to every 5th game. "Felix the phenom" is very impressive. I hope his success continues and the Mariners can build a pitching staff around him.

Moonlight
08-10-2005, 10:47 AM
He looks a bit heavy for a 19 year old athelete and that little stumble fielding the groundball gave me pause. But wow what a curve ball :Eyecrazy: and like you say that change is going to keep the Chiropractors busy trying to realign the opponets broken backs.
He looks like the second coming of someone. I am too young to have many recolections of Satchel Paige, but hey he's just a kid and he probably likes to eat fried food a bit too much to comped with the Satch man.
Theres new grass on the field :) here we go again

OC
08-10-2005, 11:54 AM
Moonlight,
He is 6 foot 3 inches and a hundred and seventy pounds. I wish I could be 170 even at 5'10". I think he's got the baby face blues. I hope he don't turn into a sandwich eater like a lot of baseball players do. I had the same fear about the fast food and Felix last night while trying to get to sleep. All I could picture was this big mean pitcher in a few years who could not keep his lower jersey buttons buttoned like that reliever that pitched for Texas and Boston a few years back.

Anyway we Mariner fans are about as paranoid as Red Soxs fans used to be. But the truth of the matter is this kid Felix is skinney and has the lines and ease of Mario Rivera except he is a starter.

SalmoGairdneri
08-10-2005, 12:22 PM
Ok baseball fans of the Northwest has the new great one arrived in Mariners land? Since the kid was 16 years old the entire baseball world has been telling us Felix Hernandez will be the second coming of you know who.
SNIP

I was going to head down to the safe last night but decided not to at the last minute. I always listen on the radio but last night I actually watched him pitch on the TV. Looked sharp. I thought his fielding looked pretty sharp too.

Certainly beats flogging 70degree temperature, record low flows for nearly non-existent steelhead.

-tony

juro
08-10-2005, 12:36 PM
Great news for the M's! I only got to read about it but the excitement was felt just the same for the Safeco faithful of which I still am.

I just hope they don't trade him away too... unless you want to send him to Fenway :cool: I have grown a split allegience.

SalmoGairdneri
08-10-2005, 03:50 PM
SNIP... I have grown a split allegience.

Me too. I'm for the M's and whoever is playing the NYY.

-tony

Doublespey
08-10-2005, 05:34 PM
Hey Tony - I think you share the "split" part with 90% of the nation's baseball fans. If I can't watch the Mariners win, the next best thing is watching the Yanks loose. Specially in the Post Season. :smile:

Moonlight
08-10-2005, 10:08 PM
I too am a born again Yankee basher. On the subject of the "Kids" weight all things being equal I am gonna say 220 pounds is the bare minimum he could weigh. I know the roster has him at 170 But hey I weighed 170 when I passed through Mare Island on my way home from Nam and I looked like a rack of bones and was still 3" shorter than Felix. :lildevl: I think I heard Rick Rizz say he weighed 220 and Valle had him at the roster weight of "170" so hey a debate about weight! Very apropo for a fishing forum!!

SalmoGairdneri
08-11-2005, 06:12 PM
SNIP
I think I heard Rick Rizz say he weighed 220 and Valle had him at the roster weight of "170" so hey a debate about weight! Very apropo for a fishing forum!!

I heard noise to that effect too. Deciding who to bet on between Rizzs & Valle is a no-brainer.

The important thing is that he looked sharp... but there is no way on earth that dude weighs anywhere close to 170. For sure he's well over 2 bills.

Apropos if fishing is slow.

-tony

Todd Ripley
08-11-2005, 11:20 PM
I'm 6'3", and while not exactly skin and bones, I ain't exactly carrying around any extra weight, either, and I weigh about 195...but one of my fishing partners is 6'2", and is packing about 155...but he is obviously very skinny.

I'd say Felix has got to be at least two bills, probably closer to 210 or 215.

Hey, OC, if Felix can have half the career that Clemens has had, he can get as fat as he wants, and I'll take it!!

Fish on...

Todd

sinktip
08-12-2005, 11:29 AM
Intersting article in the paper comparing his first home start to Ken Cloude's first home start. Anyone remember Ken Cloude?

For what it's worth, to borrow from Lloyd Benson, "I remember Ken Cloude, I saw Ken Cloude pitch and Felix Hernandez is no Ken Cloude" :D

juro
08-16-2005, 08:58 AM
This kid's for REAL... very impressive again last night.

OC
08-16-2005, 09:31 AM
19 years old and throws a curve ball over the corner of the plate on a 3 and 2 count. He is eighter young and dum or the real thing, only time will tell. Wait to you get a chance to watch him. 1st ining fast ball 97, 2nd 98, 3rd 97, 4th 98 and the same through 8 inings. Started to mix it up by the 5th ining with more curves and a wicked change up at 82 mph and honestly the only way you could tell it was not a fast ball was the batter was around before the ball was half way to the plate or the ball hit the very end of the bat. there had to be 3 broken bats from change ups last night from the 5th ining on. We will see as the lousy season goes on. Looking forward to seeing the yanks in town I think at the end of the month.
When there are not many fish around at least we have Felix.

juro
08-16-2005, 10:06 AM
OC - I just watched the video summary on mariners.org that shows him fanning 11 batters, and although I did not have the benefit of taking in 8 innings it's easy to see that this boy has complete command of the situation. Now just don't trade him away (unless he comes to the bosox).

SalmoGairdneri
08-16-2005, 11:02 AM
It was nice too that Nellie only gave back 2 runs in his inning...

The kid seems to be able to throw any pitch at any time. Even on fastball counts, he can burn his fastball past the expecting hitter.

I listen to all the M's games but rarely watch on TV. I had to watch last night after listening to the first few innings. Same thing last week when the kid mowed down the Twins. Very fun for a change.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=schoenfield/050816&num=0

The last fun M's event was sitting right behind the catcher and watching Pedro get beaten for the first time in 13 games... Juice boy got the win I think.

-tony

Smalma
08-16-2005, 08:24 PM
Happen to be at the game last night and the kid is certainly impressive.

Felix in the last two starts has done an excellent job of keeping his pitches low in the strike zone. The KC hitters just could not lay off the pitches below the knee - it will be interesting to see how he adjusts when a more discipline team leaves that low pitch alone.

At least we Mariners fans have something to talk about and hope for in the future - hope he isn't pushed too hard too soon to become the "ace" of the staff. Certainly has the potential but let's give the chance to develop that potential.

Tight lines
Curt

juro
08-31-2005, 07:49 AM
BIG GAME tonight!

For many reasons: tight race in the division for Red Sox and Yankee fans, teen phenom verses Mariner's ex-ace the big unit (old verses new), Mariners new rookies looking good for future team, national TV.

SalmoGairdneri
09-06-2005, 10:18 AM
Felix is looking very good after 7 starts. Good control, good response to tough situations and hitters. Very sweet ERA. For a team, other than one with the worst offense in the league, he'd likely have a near-perfect win/loss record.

-t

OC
09-06-2005, 11:14 AM
Yup, everything looking great with the young King. By the way they now have him listed at 6 foot 3 inches and 225 pounds. That does sound a lot more like it. So maybe we might just have to worry down the road a few years after he gets some real money that he will become a sandwich eater in the off seasons. I have got to worry about something with him after all he plays for Sorry Seattle. :o

SalmoGairdneri
09-06-2005, 04:10 PM
SNIP I have got to worry about something with him after all he plays for Sorry Seattle. :o

Agreed. I noticed the change in his dimensions stats too. Probably still a little lighter than actual but certainly in the ballpark now.

I also agree about your concern for the talent-sapping potential that the M's possess. Get very worried if he stands on or near 3rd base for any length of time. There is something powerfully evil in 3rd base at the Safe.

-tony

SalmoGairdneri
09-22-2005, 10:27 AM
Very good outing. Gotta love the standing ovation Felix got when he left the game. Speaks well of the Toronto fans in the stands (all 10 of them!).

-tony

Moonlight
09-22-2005, 11:49 AM
Yeah Tony they were booing the official scorer when he awarded the "hit"!

SalmoGairdneri
09-28-2005, 10:48 AM
So the kid gives up -2- whole runs in 9 full innings and doesn't get a win. Yikes. Nice to see him bounce back (big time) against the Rangers.

-tony

OC
09-29-2005, 04:58 PM
So will the kid win rookie of the year? Even with so few games he is still elligable.
I have read where there are many writters who will vote for him even with the short season that he has played. Just a four and four record but an ERA under 2.5 and a strike out to walk ratio of 3.25 to 1 which is unheard of. Last game 17 infield outs one fly out to out field and 6 strike outs. Too bad the team stinks. But ya got to like some of the rookies they show promise. The kid at short will be a 260 life time hitter but he is the real deal and has a major leauge career ahead of him.

Hows steelhead fishing? Anyone been? I have no interest, just can't get excited at this time. Maybe its all this boat searching I've been doing. Headed down to Kemah Texas next weekend to look at a Mason 44 cutter rig. It just completed a world cruise and has been fully re-rigged. She made it through Rita just fine. If we get it it will be my cruising boat so I can fish and surf far off Islands of the Pacific and Indian Ocean. Hell might as well the way steelhead fishing has been going the last few years. :smokin:

sinktip
09-29-2005, 05:16 PM
So as not to totally hijack the thread -- the kid is a treat to watch and certainly has a good chance to become one of the great ones.

Now the real reason for my post -- I have started up a fund to get OC some counceling for his anti-mykiss avoidance grumpous syndrome. As we all know, 44' is much too long to put a jet pump on and even if you did, outside of the Skeena and Hanford Reach, what rivers would be big enough to use it? Rumor has it he is even willing to sell his cane to pay for RADAR! :eek: It is clear to me that there are some mental, uh how should I say this, irregularities which need to be addressed. If you would like to contribute to this fund and help OC get back in the water and fishing for steelhead, please let me know.

His friend (and former fishing companion) -- Sinktip

Moonlight
09-30-2005, 12:53 AM
What cane is for sale? :lildevl:
He could use the Boat to cruise the inside passage for spring steelheads I would be available to help him pilot his way through the challenging waters and myriad back channels.
The race in the East is as tight as can be (Titus Canbe, wasn't that a charecter in Maggie and Jiggs).
We might not be in the playoffs but the game goes on. Ortiz and Rameriz were awsome tonight I sure am glad Demarie bought that extra inning package on our TV service, jumping betwenn games is a hoot when they all count in the run up to the playoffs.

juro
09-30-2005, 08:01 AM
Elated to say that I will be coming out after the Cattaraugus Spey Clave for some spey fishing in my ol' stomping grounds! I will only have 3 days but I will make the best of it. I am hoping that the fall fishing will be as I remember, classic greaselining on bright crisp days.

Per the king... next year has promise. And for my new 'home team' gotta love big Papi!

MJC
09-30-2005, 09:34 AM
I have started up a fund to get OC some counceling for his anti-mykiss avoidance grumpous syndrome. As we all know, 44' is much

Anything for my good friend OC. I can donate a quarter. If he keeps up with this plan to head off to Pacifica we will have to change his name from "OC" to "WS" which stands for "Water Strider" which is what he'll be doing on his board. :whoa:

OC
09-30-2005, 09:44 AM
Moonlight,

Not to worry as I go see a lawyer about a will next week, God I'm getting old. I will put the 1948 Hoolbrook in your name. That rod has landed some mighty fine wild steelhead in it's day. Some nights as I drink, I mean prepare for the next days fishing that rod tells me some insane stories about its past, it will for you too.

Hey Tip,
Ok, Ok, I'll fish Saturday morning see you at your house at 0330. Like always we will have fished the runs before most have had their alarn clock go off. We will be drinking single malt while sitting on the tail gate just as the offas all arive. And we will have two dead hatchery fish like always slabed on ice for the Sunday BBQ and of course we will have released at least one wild fish each which we know nothing about. And we won't have Sean breaking up the party by following us around. I sure miss that boy now that he moved to the other coast. He was really coming into his own as a young steelhead fisher and had the potential to be as nasty as you. God bless Sean, I hope he made the right choice.

GOD BLESS FELIX ALSO! Can you imagine Felix as a more mature adult with a flyrod in his hand. Ted Willians watch out and I think Tony should take it apon himself to befriend the king and teach him the finer side of casting. What a story that would be, Felix the steelheader.

Juro, I would love to fish with you but I don't think I could keep up with you when you do one of these 3 day trips. But if you need a house near the airport to crash in give me a call.

sean
09-30-2005, 10:02 AM
Still hanging in there on the wrong coast but had my first twinge of missing steelheading today. Packing up for a weekend stiper/tuna trip and was moving my steelhead stuff out of my gear and packing it away. I miss heading out at 3:45am and knowing you guys had beaten me to the water by 15 minutes and probably had your fish. I learned a ton from you two though and was always a pleasure running into you on the water. I do hope you get out with Duggan soon. I think he is a little lost without he fishing partner. Heard he was actually out hooking pinks the other day :Eyecrazy: My how the mighty have fallen:)

I will have to say striper fishing is great. You guys gotta come out for a visit next spring and help me break in the new boat.

Here is a fish I caught in one of our favorite spots 2 hours before I got on the plane to leave for RI. Probably my most memorable fish ever hooked.

-sean

juro
09-30-2005, 10:13 AM
Juro, I would love to fish with you but I don't think I could keep up with you when you do one of these 3 day trips. But if you need a house near the airport to crash in give me a call.

OC -

Well it depends on which day... my OP day, Columbia tribs day or Cascades day :lildevl:

Hope to hook up while there, I'll give you a call beforehand - thanks

OC
09-30-2005, 10:41 AM
Sean,

That picture was taken on the Grande Rhonde right!

sean
09-30-2005, 10:44 AM
No it is the green river by auburn.

-sean

sinktip
09-30-2005, 12:21 PM
I always wanted to fish the Green. Looks wonderful. Do they have a strong run of Pinks down there????????

OC
09-30-2005, 02:03 PM
Sinktip,

With pure disgust and loathing I hope Felix whacks you on the side of the head with a 98 MPH fast ball! What next a dd shishing sshool?

OC
05-17-2006, 12:55 AM
WHAT A DIFFERENCE A YEAR MAKES! :mad: The kid ended up being a sandwich eater.:frown: Maybe he will find his way later in the year, we can only hope.... Hey maybe he will find his way in 2007 when we trade him to another team for two aging life time 270 hitters with no power. I can see it now Felix 21 and 2, a 1.97 era and a NY Mets uniform on. Things don't look good.

juro
05-17-2006, 07:09 AM
Sophomore hijinks

You don't just lose it all that easily, he needs to suck it up and cut the carbs, ramp up the lean protein and EARN (mentally, physically) what he thought might fall in his lap.

Too bad the rest of the boys fared pretty well through the game offensively.

What a shame the other night with Moyer!

Luckily I get thrills watching my otha team, the BOSOX aka the Red Hots.

SalmoGairdneri
05-17-2006, 11:10 AM
Must be particularly tough for a young kid to bounce back from an early inning with so many unearned runs. Also sounds like Felix needs to learn a lot more about how to use his pitches to set up the batter. Burning in fastballs for strikes doesn't cut it in the bigs.

-tony

Adrian
05-17-2006, 12:46 PM
Well, you could trade him to NYY and that would probably finish his career off for good. Seems to have jinxed just about every other "star" pitcher that has donned pinstripes in recent years :confused:

You can hate them all you want but without NYY vs BOSOX the world series just wouldn't be the same.

Eric
05-17-2006, 03:19 PM
You know, Felix's pitching was scary yesterday, but even scarier was Hargrove sending Carl Everett down to second on a steal attempt.

-- Eric

D3Smartie
05-17-2006, 03:50 PM
eric you cant be serious. hargrove sending everett? learn the game and then maybe you will know what was going on.

I watched felix the other night and he dealt against TB. he has the stuff just not the maturity. He will figure it out at somepoint but we as fans are going to have to live with the growing pains of a 20yr old kid learning how to pitch. He has a good fastball and curve ball. when he learns how to pitch he will be dominant. Until then we will get to watch him get lit up everytime he looses command and gets the ball up in the zone.

juro
05-17-2006, 03:59 PM
eric you cant be serious. hargrove sending everett? learn the game and then maybe you will know what was going on.

Enlighten me.

Eric
05-17-2006, 07:15 PM
Er, wasn't that Carl Everett who got thrown out by fifteen feet attempting to steal second in yesterday's game? I assumed he went on a steal sign.

Anyway, I couldn't believe it.

-- eric

SalmoGairdneri
05-18-2006, 04:27 PM

OK, ignoring the incredible condescension, help me "learn the game". What was going on?

-t

D3Smartie
05-18-2006, 11:58 PM
no one in their right mind would send everet, if you were watching the game, you would see that he waited to go, avoiding any potential pick, and was looking in as he is running to second. The reason he waited, is because you cannot be picked off on a Hit and run. He looks in to read if the catcher jumps up out of his croutch for a pitch out and/or to be able to locate the ball. Lawton's job was to hit on the ground. He watched, thus making Everet look stupid. :tsk_tsk:

juro
05-19-2006, 12:07 AM
My TV has subtitles but I guess I don't pay enough for the mind-reading feature :hihi:

D3Smartie
05-19-2006, 12:11 AM
learn the game.

juro
05-19-2006, 12:15 AM
Perhaps I had not been as attentive in 'School of Baseball' but you seem to have dozed off a bit in 'Camaraderie 101'.

D3Smartie
05-19-2006, 12:18 AM
just am tired of the average typical nw bandwagon fan that doesn't know the game yet makes infomed opinions...

speaking of informed opions....you buy your overseas FLi or launch yet?

juro
05-19-2006, 12:21 AM
Correction... YOU FLUNKED :lildevl:

Eric
05-19-2006, 01:14 AM
I was wondering if the hit-and-run was on. Apparently the batter missed the sign or something. Both commentators felt Everett was trying to steal.

Thanks for the explanation.

You're right: no one in his right mind would send Everett on a steal -- but that's what it looked like and that's why I was so amazed.

Cheers,

-- Eric

SalmoGairdneri
05-19-2006, 10:51 AM
I was wondering if the hit-and-run was on. Apparently the batter missed the sign or something. Both commentators felt Everett was trying to steal.

Thanks for the explanation.

You're right: no one in his right mind would send Everett on a steal -- but that's what it looked like and that's why I was so amazed.

Cheers,

-- Eric

I saw it the way you (and the commentators) saw it and I figured hosed up sign. Apparently that makes me a bandwagon, ignorant, NW loser fan. Everett is as slow as Edgar which is why the play seemed odd or a miscue - it is obvious that was why you made your initial comment. If you consider the pile of baserunning errors, missed signs etc (Sexson stealing 2nd on Pudge?) then it isn't too crazy.

But hey, I only listen to/watch about 150 M's games a year and yes, I'm still learning the game.

-t

Moonlight
06-11-2006, 06:14 PM
All Hail "The King":smokin: That was as advertised, and worth staying home and watching between honey dos.

juro
06-12-2006, 07:15 AM
M's are on a run and the next three games are pivotal. Didn't they win like 10 of 12 games or something recently? I read that the kid was "dominating" and pitched instead of trying to blow everyone's doors off. Probably got a little inspiration from Moyer's recent outing, very impressive. Keep the bats going over the rest of the month and they could easily pull into 2nd or even 1st in the division from the cellar!

My otha team helped by pulling off a walk-off 3 run BLAST from the bat of Ortiz in the bottom of the 9th down two runs to down the Rangers but unfortunately they got smoked in the second of the double header.

I thought the Bronx bombers would smoke Oakland at home but instead Oakland broke out the broom impressively leaving my bosox with a 1 game lead in the division when the dust cleared.

Seattle will have to topple Oakland on their own these next three games.

SalmoGairdneri
06-12-2006, 11:13 AM
could easily pull into 2nd or even 1st in the division from the cellar!

Did you mean pull into 2nd or 1st in the cellar division?

The young king has had very good progress in his last 4 starts - though he did get shelled in Texas. Still, his performance against the twins and now yesterday's complete-game, 94 pitch, 0 BB, 9 K's win was really encouraging.

We will see how the M's do as the competition level increases. Oakland has been pretty hot lately.

But, I guess the M's have been too. Feels odd saying that.

-t

OC
06-12-2006, 12:02 PM
It is good to see some positive things with the M's this last week but.... I will wait and see if I watch more than an inning or two of a game. It's not their record as much as it is the lack of emotion I see. I love watching the red sox's even Okland as the entire team is up on the dugout rail throughout the game. Seems everyone on good teams are really into the games. I do not ever remember the M's being that way in the great years not so long ago. I think they need new ownership and an owner who lives in Seattle and shows he is active in the team.

As far as M's fans yes on the most part they are really bad. Speed boat races, shell games, cell phones and sushi. When the red sox are in town 20 visiting red soxs fans can out shout and out intiminate the entire Safeco crowd. I wish they would just sell only Fenway Franks at Safeco maybe then M's fans would have enough gas to learn something about what makes baseball such a great game. For those of us that grew up near Fenway or for that matter New England it is hard to become a Seattle fan no matter how hard we try. I would give anything to re visit the Fenway bleachers of years ago when I was 17 years old. 75 cent tickets, $2.50 cent big beers, Lablatts I think, no ID needed and then the hippies would pass those funny looking and interesting smelling cigs down the isles and they would just keep going and going till some fan fingers got way toooo hot!

But at 4.5 games out or so there is hope even as the season moves to the dog days of summer. We will see in the next week or two.

juro
06-14-2006, 06:31 AM
Based juiced, no outs Ibanez, Sexson and Everett coming to bat in the ninth down two zip.

They could have chipped their way to a tie but NO three consecutive outs and game over :Eyecrazy:

Moonlight
06-14-2006, 07:53 AM
High hopes right up to the last pitch, tonight.....

SalmoGairdneri
06-14-2006, 10:43 AM
High hopes right up to the last pitch, tonight.....

Indeed. Hopefully the bats aren't going dead again.

Eric
06-27-2006, 08:03 PM
Kids From Steelhead Country NCAA College Baseball Champions:

How 'bout them Beavers!

Congratulations to the the OSU Baseball team. You are the pride of the Northwest!

Cheers,

Eric

Hope some of them become Mariners

OC
06-27-2006, 09:38 PM
Eric,

What a great game that was to watch. Those kids played their hearts out and did just what their coach told them at the begining of the year, " Just be tougher than all the teams you play and you out live them all." In my book it is always nice to see Pacific NW boys beat up on those Southern Giants. Did you see the size of those 97 MPH fastballers for North Carolina they were all 6' 6". Both teams were great and it's a shame one had to loose.

Eric
06-27-2006, 10:18 PM
There you have it, OC: "...it's a shame one had to lose."

Competition being what it is, there's always a winner and a loser.

There's always a second best. What separates them is often just circumstance.

Both teams were wonderful.

We'll be seeing the Tarheels again. What a terrific game and what a terrific series.

I'm a Stanford Cardinal fan but felt no remorse when the Cardinal were creamed by the Beavers in the regional. The coaching and the kids from the Northwest are wonderful baseball talents; so glad to see them on the national stage they deserve.

What great pitching (both teams)! Can you believe college kids can throw like that?

I guess the big difference between the major leagues and NCAA or triple-A is the variety of pitches the major leaguers can throw with location.

Cheers,

Beaver Believer

PS: only the second time a loser bracket team has won it all. Other team? West Coast of course: the USC Trojans.

I, being originally from Palo Alto (northern California) despise those USC unspeakables.

juro
06-28-2006, 12:35 AM
Well the M's have just reached .500, not quite in the World Series yet but it's a milestone. Good team overall, not getting the breaks early in the season but over the last 20-25 games really lighting it up.

Moonlight
06-28-2006, 12:38 AM
Hey and Howdy we are at 500 and the allstar break is a moment away
Anybody here ever heard of Johjima? I am beyond impressed this fellow is Gold! His bat is so quick it must be different.

OC
06-29-2006, 10:21 AM
We can only hope! Two games out of first but I hate to say this we have been playing teams that could not win in double A ball right now. What has happened to all but two teams in the National leauge? American Leauge is kicking butt this year and has been for some years now. I know it is a cycle thing as I can remember the 60's and 70's when the National leauge won I think 15 of 18 Allstar Games. Back to the Home team. How are they going to get blue collar enough to deal with American League teams? I mean Oakland just eats them up and they are going to have to deal with that if they want to still be in this thing come September. Only thing June proved is that Our 3rd baseman and our first baseman know how to hit against the National Leauge. Does anyone think Seattle has a chance to have 3 or 4 players on the Allstar team? Lopez should go that is for sure. How about a catcher and a closer? Who knows with a few injuries to the regular allstars come game time we may get 3 guys to the game.

SalmoGairdneri
06-30-2006, 11:52 AM
Who knows with a few injuries to the regular allstars come game time we may get 3 guys to the game.

I'd argue that in addition to Ichiro... Lopez, Johjima and JJ deserve slots in the all-star game.

Also, the M's performance against the senior league is encouraging. The M's should have no problem when they make the world series this year.

-t

juro
06-30-2006, 08:24 PM
Going to be a nice week to hit Safeco

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-49,GGLD:en&q=seattle+weather

juro
07-07-2006, 12:07 PM
M's are trying to make me a one-team man. There is a loud sucking sound coming from the vortex of fenway, the Red Sox nation (aka the borg) is trying to assimilate me! Is resistance futile or will they do something other than get swept by LA? aAarrggggHhhh!!!!!:Eyecrazy:

OC
07-10-2006, 12:34 AM
Come back from a week on the ranch, a little fishing and a rodeo or two and what do I find? 0 and 6 and yet only 3.5 games out! What a screwed up team and what a screwed up division. No one wants to take charge. Think I'll go back out to Wyoming and fix fence, listen to the wind blow till the seasons over.

SalmoGairdneri
07-10-2006, 05:57 PM
Come back from a week on the ranch, a little fishing and a rodeo or two and what do I find? 0 and 6 ...

That was my fault. I took a week out at Neah Bay fishing, I stopped reliably listening to them and without my attention, they fell down. It's probably obvious but I was back for the Sunday game.

-t

Moonlight
07-11-2006, 11:21 AM
I totally liked the way the lads looked in those old Pilot Uniforms. My dad still has a Pilots Hat in the closet at Moms house. One of the Baseball writers said those things are worth $5,000.00. I may have to sell it for her when she get around to needing a newer car!

OC
07-11-2006, 11:59 AM
Or you convince your mom that you need a 1950's Dawn Holbrook cane rod once fished by RHB.:devil:

Mark Vegwert
07-31-2006, 07:21 PM
Hi Guys: I am flying up this week to take my family to the Friday night game against the A's. Can you give me a clue on where and how to park. We'll be staying in Bellevue and so will be taking I-90 back to the motel (I think I-90. Big road. Crosses lake. Goes through trees. I'm from Idaho)

Thanks,

Mark

OC
08-03-2006, 05:50 PM
Hi Mark,

Wow you picked a great weekend to be here if you like Baseball, hydro races, Blue Angels and lots of traffic and crowds. The Hydro races are this weekend on Lake Washington as you know. I have never been to any of it, we live by the lake and clear out of town as fast as possible. As I write the BLue Angels are out on a practise run and the house almost fell down from the vibration but they sure were beautiful, brings a shiver down your spine. If your staying in Belllevue and attending Fridays game I would suggest going into Seattle before the I-90 bridge closes at 10 AM and again I think at 12:30 PM. Don't try and go between bridge closings, the traffic is at a stand still, you might not even get out of Bellevue. Go early, 0830, enjoy the city, find a good viewing spot to watch the Blue Angels practise from and then go to the game. There are many places to park near the park and they all cost money, further out about 10 dollars closer to the park 20 dollars. A little hint for ya. Go at 0830 follow the signs to the ball park and you will find a parking spot or two under the 99 overpass for free. The over pass is just west of Safeco. From there you can walk to Pikes Market for breakfast, take in the sights and enjoy the day. The traffic for the afternoon Blue Angels practice and the mandatory I 90 bridge closing because of them was backed up over twelve mile this afternoon and it will be worse on Friday as people come into to town for the big weekend. It is now 2:40 pm and the radio says gridlock and they say don't expect it to be any different by 5pm. Have fun and when you get to you Hotel ask about traffic and getting to the ball park on this biggest of big weekends in Seattle.

juro
08-04-2006, 06:42 AM
And that's the inside track if ever I heard it!

So everybody put your hands together and pray... 3 wins and the M's rise from the gutter to 1/2 game out of first... 17 intra-division games in August!

American League West is still very much up for grabs.

so GRAB! GRAB! :)

For me a series against Boston to see who goes to the world series would be a dream come true! I would find joy in either going on to represent the American League with home team advantage (Fenway, Safeco, etc).

chromer
08-04-2006, 09:04 AM
What OC said...

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20060803&content_id=1591280&vkey=pr_sea&fext=.jsp&c_id=sea

Mark Vegwert
08-07-2006, 06:37 PM
I found out which side of S 4th not to park on. Hour and a half after the game, still stuck in traffic. Great field. Unfortunately, our offense was out of town.

OC
08-15-2006, 09:57 PM
Mark,

Glad to hear your family had a great time at the ball park but sorry you had to watch the M's play. Time to get rid of the big money players, bring up the kids and do what Detroit did just 3 years ago. We got one of the best short/second combos in the game and they are just kids. We got a pitcher named Lowe who is throwing at 101 mph and has not yet allowed a run. He was drafted I believe as a starter lets cut the crap and bench Moyer or Pinero. Trade Sexton for a promising young pitcher some one needs him. Make our lead off hitter play center even if he does not want to. There are 5 promising players in the minors lets get them here now and not wait till september. Lets get rid of our very non resident owner, change management and find Bobby Valentine or some other manager who will rant and rave call his players wimps which they are and a manager who will not baby pitchers.
I glad the season is over lets play kid ball and keep the vets as far away from them as possible.

I feel better now, time to go fishing! Hey what ever happened to Jesus and his 98 MPH fastball? It's management I tell you!:tsk_tsk:

Moonlight
08-27-2006, 02:02 AM
The Unit, Schilling, Boomer, Tic Tac Toe!:chuckle:

juro
08-27-2006, 10:12 AM
Boy did they ever pick the wrong week to start winning.

Strong series againt division rivals in the past few weeks would have M's fans singing a whole different tune right now.

Being a fan of both clubs, this series is a tough one for me... the M's are gonzo for the year, the Sox still have a chance so of course I would want the one with the chance to realize their opportunity...

So the M's get hot and the Bosox not :Eyecrazy:

Can't win I guess :tongue:

Maybe I can really pull my hair out later... Patriots face the Seahawks in the superbowl!!! (not as unlikely as one might think)

Moonlight
08-27-2006, 11:11 AM
That would be a real thrill to see the Hawks back in it again this year and against the Pat's would be some great Cake Icing. Meche looked at his best at times last night.:)

OC
08-27-2006, 03:25 PM
Hey Moonlight good to see you are out and about.

Juro, I was really hoping that the M's would sweep NY and then loose 3 to the BOSOX. Help them get back in the race. Hey, could it be that the base of the red sox nation is getting old. Ya they have some great young talent but do I see cracks with weeds growing in them and how much do they have left in the farm system for the next 3 years? Looks like a bad gap down in RI and at double A.

The M's have decided to go the farm system route to get better. Unforunate that the admin did not make that move 4 years ago when the M's were the oldest team in Baseball. We would have been a much better team already without Beltre and Sexson. We all love Moyer but he should have been gone 3 years ago so other much younger could be found. Shilling, Moyer and Randy have gone by their usefulness even if they still win games they can't get you a world series ring anymore. Youth is where it is at with a veteran or two in the mix.

juro
08-28-2006, 06:43 PM
Seahawks promos all over the place even out here now - big images of Alexander in the new video game section, even nfc champion sweatshirts. Reminiscent of walking into Big-5 next to Ivar's.

I hope they do live up to it, with all that talent they can't leave the opportunity on the table like that.

KerryS
08-29-2006, 06:42 PM
It would seem that Felix remembered how to pitch last night. 5 hit, no run complete game shutout of the Angels. New Safeco Field record 1 hour, 51 minutes to complete. Could this be the Felix we were told about?

OC
08-31-2006, 09:43 AM
Kerry, hope all is well and you are enjoying all that summer has to offer. That may have been the best pitched ball game all year in the majors. He's got the stuff it's just a matter of him really wanting it. I worry about his ability to focus on greatness and if I were the M's I'd keep him up in Seattle all winter under a watchfull eye. The boy has too much money to be going down to his home country all winter and eating out 3, 4 maybe 5 meals a day. Looking at him in August and what he looked like in April is entirerly different. He looks in shape now, he throws with a smooth motion and does not look tired after 3 innings like earlier in the year. He will learn that he has to mix up his speed and that when one pitch is not working that he has at least 3 others that should. Did you see those sinkers in that last game? 17 ground ball outs!

It's so sad to see my Red Sox come to this end. But it happens to all clubs eventually, hopefully it will happen to the Yankees one of these years but I don't think so.

KerryS
08-31-2006, 10:43 AM
OC, things are ok for the most part. The company I work for is growing fast and honestly perhaps to fast for me. Work has become overly stressful for me and is taking up much more time then I want to put in. It may be time for the Strattons to think about downsizing and drop out of the rat race. I am looking at smaller companies that may need the services of a network engineer. Tough decision; I have time in here and the benefits are excellent. But, my happiness and well being seem to be at stake here. Probably should put this in a PM. Oh well, who cares?

Yeah Felix has the talent but does he have the will?

Moonlight
08-31-2006, 12:08 PM
I missed several of the games lately but Demarie was able to give me a nearly pitch by pitch report on my cell phone (seemed like it anyway)! Definetly the best ball of the year for the Mariners, if we had just played 500 against the A's we would be in the thick of this thing. Oh well fans we have new grass to look forward too in the Spring of 07. Meanwhile have you seen the Dam counts lately:cool: Oh yeah and that little creek up in the North is above the ten yera noe too!;)

OC
08-31-2006, 02:55 PM
Kerry, I hear you loud and clear on the work thing. Between my job being more busy than any other year in the last 10 and all the work on the boat I have had no time to relax much. But Tracy and I are lucky knowing it is all coming to an end soon. Tracy ends work Nov. 12th but will work part time, lucky for us she will make twice as much money as a temperary doc than a full timer. Me I'm done in April so I can put full time in on the S/V Hannah getting her ready for an early July departure. So with the April ending of a busy job I just put one foot forward each day and no matter how frustrating it can be I keep a smile at all times.:) We talk often before bed about the new enthusiasm that has entered into our life as we get ready for a journey of a life time. We are nervous to get that first long passage going but we are begining to feel like kids again something for me I'd always had been up untill I moved to Seattle and somehow had lost it.

Moonlight, glad Demarie can fill you in as I'm sure you are out on the coast finding your way around in all that fog. I need to start looking at the counts as I have a week long job at the Rocky Reach Dam mid September and want to fish that secret spot you and I have talked about. I'm hoping it is open for steelhead fishing at that time of year. Nothing like 12 or 14 fish an evening.:Eyecrazy:
Heck it's been so long since I've flyfished for steelhead I not sure where all my gear is. And my old buddy Sinktip has just about written me off as I'm sure a lot of you have. But I'm alive and well and thinking of all of you often. Hopefully this thread will still be going on when we get back in 4 or 5 years from our circumnavigation and Felix is the best player in the game, the m's have a sound management and all those young player we are seeing today are at the top of their game.

Moonlight
08-31-2006, 03:03 PM
That place is alot better when its closed. I find fewer other anglers are around than when they go ahead and open it!:chuckle:
Enough of this IT stuff I am headed out so Demarie can call me with SeaHawk scores.

juro
08-31-2006, 03:44 PM
So what is everyone thinking for the Hawks this season... 13 and 3? And no reason to have 3, if they EXECUTE with PASSION to win. That seems to be the big 'if'... certainly not a lack of talent.

The Pat's are looking razor sharp... too bad Belichik couldn't push the Hawks to the next level.

Moonlight
01-26-2007, 07:46 PM
Hey fellow fans if you haven't scene the "Young King" yet this season then you will be very suprised by his appearance. That is what a young athelete is supposed to look like. Felix showed up early all trim and fit and ready to go. I can not help but think he will be at the top of his game being in that good of shape.
Pitchers officially report in just a few more days.
Fresh grass on the field and another year to watch the great Ichiro:) been along time since 01 and the record season. Ichiro (and the Moose) are the only ones left from that great team I guess including the Moose with Ichiro might be a little insulting to some but ....

KerryS
01-28-2007, 07:20 PM
Is the originator of this thread still around?

I am looking forward to the new season. The front office made improvement with every off season move.

I wonder who got into the young king's ear? Someone must have whispered something.

October Caddis
01-29-2007, 09:42 AM
I think that article in one of the Seattle papers two months ago about the boy hanging around his mothers house watching TV and eating bad food woke up the M's. I'm sure they sent someone down to his house and draged him back up north to keep an eye on him. I don't have much hope for the 2nd rate players the M's brought on but it is a new year a weak division and anything can happen.

Kerry hope all is well with you and you are enjoying good fishing. I'm still around just doing a bunch of work on the S/V Hannah. If you are in Seattle give me a PM before you come and I'll show you around our new soon to be floating home. Goes for anyone that's in the area.
OC

Moonlight
01-29-2007, 10:22 AM
From the past I have noticed ball clubs trading away there greatest talents in there final contract years to bolster there pitching or slugging or some other aspect of the game (bottom line). If Lincoln and Bavasi attempt to do that with Ichiro I think we will need to take a play out of Osama's book and everyone show up at the Safe with a suicide vest and blow the place up in a protest of epic proportions.:lildevl:

KerryS
01-29-2007, 04:21 PM
OC,

They may be second rate players but everyone they got over the off season is better then the third rate players they replaced. I am the eternal optimist when it comes to baseball. All I really want is the Mariners to have a shot at the playoffs when August rolls around. Just a shot.

We have a job site in the SODO area cleaning up some of the railroad's mess. I might need to schedule a visit and take you up on the tour.

OC
04-02-2007, 10:21 PM
OK, OK.... Felix = 12 KKKKKKKKKKKK.. only 3 hits allowed and kicked Butt. Has he come of age after three years of this THREAD running now.

juro
04-03-2007, 11:06 AM
Awesome!!!

But sorry guys I want the Red Sox to win it all this year.

BUT not why you think....

http://adweek.blogs.com/adfreak/2007/03/free_furniture_.html

I am in DEEP

GO SOX!!!! :D

KerryS
04-03-2007, 03:41 PM
But sorry guys I want the Red Sox to win it all this year.

GO SOX!!!! :D

Your Sox are not off to a real good start. They got beat by Meche. Matter of fact they were held to one run. I think the Mariners let Meche go or at least were unwilling to re-sign him. Hmmmmmmmm. Next week we will know. It would be nice to see the Ms beat the bosox in their own house.:devil:

juro
04-03-2007, 06:28 PM
pssst.... just watched the kid's highlights... he looks AWESOME.

I think the M's are going to have a good year.

juro
04-11-2007, 09:37 PM
Well if the Sox have to hit against pitching like the kid put up tonight there goes hopes of free furniture for Jordahnz furnichure fans!

Felix' performance on the mound was as impressive as the hitting attack the bosox put on Weaver the night before. (Hows that for political correctness? ;))

OC
04-11-2007, 09:37 PM
So now you Boston fans know about Jesus and the 98 MPH fastball!:hihi:

Eric
04-12-2007, 12:30 AM
What a performance!

My condolences, Juro. Must be at least a conflict of interest, though, when the M's play the Sox.

It was great seeing so many of the World Series veterans still on the roster. What a great series that was.

Cheers,

Eric

KerryS
04-12-2007, 06:31 PM
At least we can look forward to a good game every 5th one.

Some of the baseball pundents are saying the kid's one hit performance last night against Boston ranks as one of the best games ever pitched at Fenway Park, which is known as a hitter's park. I can't disagree.

OC
04-12-2007, 10:24 PM
Ya I guess if we get a win every 4 or 5 games we should be happy.:confused: What impressed me most was after Jesus ended the game with a strikeout was the way he reacted. He looked mean and angry like bring it on I'm ready for another 9! That is the first time in the 13 years I have lived in the NW I have seen a Mariner act that way. Not even bald headed Jay acted that way. It sure would be good if Management would pick up a few more guys who can get angry and tough. The Mariners have always been the biggest wimps in baseball. They could learn from the Red Soxs, Oakland and Yankees on that subject. But then again Seattle is a pretty wimpy place full of Sushi eating fans instead of Fenway Frank eaters. You eat Sushi at Fenway and your toast. But I really think Felix will be a lot like Pedro was and eventually throw at few hitters when need be once he gets fully established as a star. Can you imagine how good he will be then??? God, don't we wimpy Seattle fans need some of that.

juro
04-12-2007, 11:25 PM
I dunno... Randy Johnson got pretty nasty on the mound. Then again he, Griffey, Arod, and a whole long list of hall of famer's flew the nice guy coop.

There's something to be said about the nice guy though... who couldn't love Edgar?

(BTW - didn't Jojima have Daisuke's number last night!)

juro
04-19-2007, 12:56 AM
OC -

I know what you mean about attitude.

On that final play tonight... the NEW EDGAR (Vidro) at bat... down 2, 2 strikes, 2 outs... he delivers, just like Edgar would... one run scores and they send Beltre, you have to...

three steps behind the throw and he does a GENTLEMANS SLIDE to HOME to END THE GAME?????

I would have taken the catchers head off and Beltre's got 50 pounds on me... :confused:

Moonlight
04-19-2007, 09:11 AM
Juro those were my thoughts too except for the weight advantage I would have just squashed him like a bug.
Waiting to hear the report on the elbow of the young king. The Bullpen surely did the job last night and we were in the game till the last pitch!

juro
04-19-2007, 08:58 PM
I think Weaver needs to take up golf but the pitching last night was solid. Ibanez made good contact in clutch situations but couldn't buy a break. I liked how the Twins would get up and try to bunt small ball even though they have heavy lumber to offer and the lead in hand. Sweet Lou would have had the guys pecking onto the bases last night.

I have been working extra shifts this week and have mlb.tv in the corner of my computer screen while my programs are crunching away.

Gotta love the internet!

Eric
06-24-2007, 11:31 PM
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE OSU BASEBALL TEAM ON WINNING THEIR SECOND CONSEQUTIVE NCAA CAMPIONSHIP!

Go Beavers!!!!!

Many Cheers,

Eric

juro
06-25-2007, 03:22 PM
Congrats OSU

Touching return for Jr Griffey at Safeco.

Somehwere I have an autograph received at SeaTac on his way to the all-star game the year he won the home run derby.

But I had some great memories of the M's during those Kingdome years.

Now I get to see three late games where either way works for this Red Sox / Mariners fan. :)

SalmoGairdneri
06-27-2007, 08:31 PM
I like when the Sox come to town. Thanks for 3! Thanks too to KC.

But to the specific topic of this thread... I'm starting to wonder.

-t

juro
06-28-2007, 10:15 AM
Being double-digits ahead of their division rivals, the Bosox can afford to toss a few the M's way.

Seattle pitching seems to be pretty solid overall thru the pen this year.

The Kid's got talent but at 21 yrs old his craftiest pitching has still got to be ahead of him, I'd like to see his arm and Moyer's wit.

Not a bad year for the M's so far, we'll see how it holds up...

Boston turns it on and they will be unstoppable. The highlight for me this season is to see A-rod on a loser team :)

Doublespey
06-28-2007, 06:30 PM
The highlight for me this season is to see A-rod on a loser team :)

Yeah, it seems to follow him around doesn't it. :D

Hey, just a question for the BoSox faithful - not that I'm complaining, but why isn't Manny a DH?

Just wondering ~

Brian

juro
06-28-2007, 06:43 PM
I gotta stick up for Manny... I know that shot from Lopez made him look bad but he's typically solid in the field and has a good arm as well as a bat that can be devastating when it heats up.

Plus those dreadlocks are badass :smokin:

On a related note, when Edgar left the field we all forgot he was a golden glove infielder.

sean
06-29-2007, 05:00 PM
Cause Ortiz has no position as you cannot take Youk out of the lineup and his 330 average (and great defense). Ortiz also was no gold glover himself at first.

Manny gets by OK. Usually middle of the pack in errors and assists.

Converted mariners fan,

-sean

juro
08-29-2007, 06:30 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Sweepin at safeco

Eric
08-29-2007, 10:14 PM
Well, there are a couple of things to say, at least:

1. The Angels are a very good baseball team: hitting, pitching and defense-wise.

2. The Mariners are just making them over-confident for the play-off series.

Cheers,

Hooray for the Moose,

Eric

Moonlight
10-01-2007, 04:50 PM
Jumping back and forth between the Seahawks and the Mariners I chose to watch the baseball game the most. Felix was nails and the the young kids that were brought up for the September "look at me" were for the most part worth looking at. The grass will kleep growing in Seattle and next season will be even better.
I hope OC has a great voyage this winter and can check in from time to time on his where/abouts!
I think I'll head East in the morning and see if Miss Idaho is still serving Waffels on the Eastside of Lewiston.:devil:

FredA
10-02-2007, 06:06 AM
Moonlight, Mrs. OC just put a blog up.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/svhannah/?xjMsgID=38242

juro
10-04-2007, 08:56 AM
Have you guys read this????

It's led me to contemplating the "here and now" of my own life.

Special thing they're doing.

Moonlight
10-17-2007, 10:25 PM
Hey Juro I was fotunate enough to visit the Captain and crew of the Hannah right here in Port Angeles before they took a turn to tghe South and ultimately head West. I will trust that they will live well and prosper I will do the same spending most of my time right here on the beach.( Hopefully with a River in my view)!:hihi:

KerryS
10-26-2007, 11:49 AM
I read the blog. Cool thing they are doing.

OC
10-03-2010, 05:31 PM
Well baseball fans here in the NW and New England it was a very poor year. But I'm thinking it is time to bring back this thread because Jesus and the 98 mile fast ball is in the headlines again. Is Felix Hernandez the best pitcher in Baseball over the last two years? I think so but I wish he would have signed with my old Red Sox when he was a free agent. The older I get the more there is to hate about the Mariners organization especially the owner who cares nothing about wins only money. What's your thoughts on Felix is he the best? By the way 3rd youngest pitcher to get to 1000 strikeouts.

juro
10-03-2010, 06:38 PM
It really amazed me to see how such a good-looking lineup could lose so many games, and many of them close or late inning collapses.

Felix rocks, he's a natural!

Moonlight
10-03-2010, 07:39 PM
With 214 hits and fans screaming his name in the "Chant" as the last at bat of the season unfolds. I'm hooked and like Juro I cannot fathom how this came to be but I saw it at home and at the Safe. Oh well new grass grows and so it goes.
As to "The King" he is the best or certainly one of a very few who can be called the best. I would give him a vote for Cy Young if I had a vote to give!
By the way, here's to the thread that wouldn't die manys the time I.......

Moonlight
10-03-2010, 07:44 PM
With 214 hits and fans screaming his name in the "Chant" as the last at bat of the season unfolds. I'm hooked and like Juro I cannot fathom how this came to be but I saw it at home and at the Safe. Oh well new grass grows and so it goes.
As to "The King" he is the best or certainly one of a very few who can be called the best. I would give him a vote for Cy Young if I had a vote to give!
By the way, here's to the thread that wouldn't die manys the time I.......

OC
10-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Any thoughts on the playoffs and the world series? Me, I'm hoping something different and as much as I am not a fan of the state of Texas, I wouldn't mind seeing a Rangers/ Philies world series. Twins/Philies would be great too. Philies pitching would be a must to watch.

Moonlight
10-05-2010, 01:49 PM
I guess that means you don't own a Yankees hat:lildevl: Minnesotas new open air Ballpark will look good a World Series for sure.

Moonlight
10-07-2010, 10:57 AM
Ouch definetly ouch:mad: