South Monomoy Light House Over Night Sortie... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: South Monomoy Light House Over Night Sortie...

Penguin
08-07-2005, 08:38 PM
The sparse catchin' was offset by the breathtaking scenery...
The spartan accommodations, by the grande and gracious company...
The unobscured night sky was absolutely COSMIC and beyond description!!!

Penguin
08-07-2005, 08:44 PM
ALOT of work getting around over the soft sand but worth every solitary step...

Over sand from High Bank to the light house...

Penguin
08-07-2005, 08:54 PM
The place is a treasure but the poison ivy is almost EVERYWHERE!

striblue
08-07-2005, 09:14 PM
I will let Juro give a fuller report...BUT, we had a great time and for me the highlight of the summer...great company, incredable view, great food and a definite do again.

striblue
08-07-2005, 09:17 PM
The Light House home.

striblue
08-07-2005, 09:20 PM
The Dinning Room

striblue
08-07-2005, 09:23 PM
The Pantry with water pump

striblue
08-07-2005, 09:32 PM
Looking North from the light house tower top

striblue
08-07-2005, 09:36 PM
One view of our bed room on the first floor... we had three other air mattresses so plenty of room for the four of us at this 3 star accomodation

striblue
08-07-2005, 09:40 PM
Juro and Chuck cooking breakfast of pancacks, bacon and sausage....In a kitchen of all you really need.

striblue
08-07-2005, 09:44 PM
Grizz, Penguin and Juro.... we are the fist flyfishermen to have ever stayed here.

striblue
08-07-2005, 09:48 PM
The view coming back from fishing the east side....through the dunes with high bank to the right not in view.

striblue
08-07-2005, 09:53 PM
Juro and I on the wrap around deck Sunday Morning. We must have walk 15 miles during the two days.

striblue
08-07-2005, 09:58 PM
The fishing was bad...only a couple stripers and a handful of blues..one Juro cooked New Orlean style... too much mung in the water at the rip also..But we really didn't care...just being there was all that really mattered....Here is inside the side entrance.

striblue
08-07-2005, 10:04 PM
Another view from the top of the light house.

striblue
08-07-2005, 10:09 PM
Last night from the side deck..

striblue
08-07-2005, 10:19 PM
Leaving this morning to fish the west side and then wait for our pick up by Keith at 4 pm

juro
08-07-2005, 11:38 PM
We buzz through our lives cellularly connected on 32-valve fuel efficient chariots across the information highway, and live in a time when the microwave is too damn slow. Of the 1000 things we've done lately, we're hard-pressed to name one that is significant. We haven't talked to our parents for a too long, haven't fished with our brother in a decade. Meetings, deadlines, cold take-out in a hotel room typing away at 2:15am to meet an 8am deadline.

But this weekend a lucky twist of fortune put four cabaleros through a time warp to land in another time and space into a lightkeeper's rustic abandoned coastal home with a wonderful group of naturalists and a whirlwind of a troop leader. We were surrounded by pure wildlife the likes of which you'd expect in a different century to take temporary residence in the creaky charm of a relic of glory days before GPS, radar, long-range communications and autopilot, etc. A time when candlepower was not just a rating for floodlights.

It turns out many of the things we feel are essential matter very little when you whittle them down to the bare bones. The lighthouse is a place that lets human creature comforts step aside a little perhaps but when the wild beauty of a 'young' South Monomoy takes center stage she sweeps you off your feet. You learn something about yourself and the people around you when the technology veil is dropped, and what you feel seems as raw and powerful as the aged shake and towering beacon in the dunes.

We also had some truly fine cask strength 110prf pogie oil per the Griz. Had some really gut-felt laughs and enjoyed the company. Man Dr.Ed is one fishing machine!

I felt the fishing was pretty good, catching was fair to slow. Griz and I got into some exciting bluefish and occasional striper action, and the rip set up well on the incoming and strong in the outgoing except for the mung factor. It was very good to have the two-handers in this situation because we could reach over the mung without effort - however on the hang-down (end of swing) the monkey dung would do us in. That's also when most of the fish would hit. When clear of mung we had some great action on the flood and the evening blitzes which made us give in to stop en route in the evening and we barely completed the long return hike with a hint of light left in the sky.

Great continuous clouds of literally millions of pea bunker poured into the refuge, and explosive blitzes started to appear with some regularity in certain tide phases. The clock has ticked, the dog days are past - and the autumn phase has begun at Monomoy.

I could go on and on, but I need to prepare a report I promised to my boss who needs it by morning. And so I return into the big churning machine for a while but I won't forget the lighthouse on the refuge.

John and Pete's great photos tell the tale. I will also eventually get to my card reader and download my images, so consider this tale 'to be continued...'

FishHawk
08-08-2005, 05:35 AM
Great report , I'll have to try this some time . FishHawk

grizz0707
08-08-2005, 06:46 AM
Do you rememer your first car? First Date? First Job? First House? 21st Birthday?

I am sure there are many more times and events that can be added to this list:
First fish you caught a fish on a fly you tied
First time you hit a cast when all the mechanics finally felt right
First time someone wanted to purchase one of your flies

Yes all of these and more have probably happened to you and here is a few more:
Sitting on a porch with friends with poidy oil in hand in perfect darkness with the stars above painting our memories with their brillance.
Setting foot on a canvas that has been created by the past and not effect by todays world.
A handshake that was truly meant.
A simple smile on someones face that says it all.

Yes there are alot of first in our busy lives but I think the simple ones will all ways remain more vivid to me and this weekend trip will always at the top.

I will end this memory by saying thank you to Stiblu, Juro, and Penqin

Nick
08-08-2005, 07:56 AM
Good report guys. Great pics and great read as usual.

juro
08-08-2005, 08:11 AM
OK now for the gory details....

CACaphony of nighttime sounds in the fishermans room!

Kept some bluefish for dinner... to find that our fearless leader Mary had cooked a meal fit for a king. Hmmm... feed a seal?

The strawberry shortcake seemed extravagant... until you tasted it! WOW

Want a sleeping bag? Pass.

How many buckets did it take?

The gadget guys... turd-efficient hot meals in a bag... ultrasonic bug repeller... three different titanium clips on one chain... mastadon bone handle knife...decoder ring

Did as many dishes as I could to have the detergent lift the urushiol (ivy juice) off my hands

Breakfast was a winner. Pre-cooked bacon and heat and serve sausages - good. Aunt jemima complete - just add water - good. pure vermont maple syrup in a kids leaproof drink bottle - good.

Fishing the Monomoy tip rip with the Atlantis and a high-dennsity type 8 600 grain outbound - everything I hoped it would be, a clear two-hands down advantage.

The look on Johns face when we presented the CAC with an authentic scale model of the lighthouse (you have to see the detail to believe it) - PRICELESS.

bonefishmon
08-08-2005, 08:26 AM
The place is a treasure but the poison ivy is almost EVERYWHERE!

I sure hope Ironman John wore his waders! How many fisherman can the lighthouse accommadate? Were you able to secure a possible future date for the Forum at the price you paid since we won't be needing a naturalist guide or cooked meals?

Please, if you can, add me to the next signup!!!!!!!

Chuck. Glad to see you made it back up this way. I hope everything is well with you. Shad are in thick! Jumping all over the place.

John. Thanks for the great photos. Seems this is just what you needed so one of my prayers got answered. The peace and night sky must have been awesome!

Juro. Thanks for getting this off the ground and being the diplomat for the first of which I hope will be many trips to our own, new, peace and plenty!

Phil

Dble Haul
08-08-2005, 09:24 AM
It sounds like the trip for the four of you was everything you wanted. I know that you can't capture everything in words, but you guys seem to have come pretty close here.

Penguin
08-08-2005, 10:15 AM
Looking southwest from the Area61 eyeinthesky...

The light house set back from the large High Point haul out of seals on the beach...

Penguin
08-08-2005, 10:29 AM
Stay on the path, don't pick the wild flowers, and don't mess with the wild life! :eek:

FredA
08-08-2005, 12:29 PM
Nice pics and great report. I'm green with envy.

Pete, is that the coyote sharpshooter?

Penguin
08-08-2005, 01:59 PM
Had your name all over it (figuratively)...
Sunset...Easy chair...Pogie oil...the attending Striblue man servant...Priceless! :hihi:

ps
That guy was a member of the slightly sinister, moderately militant "armed and dangerous friends of Monomoy"... :wink:

striblue
08-08-2005, 05:52 PM
I did not wear waders!!!!!!!!...Just sladdered my legs and feet with "Ivy Block" ..and as of the end of Monday, after a return day trip to Nantucket with my kids and with a lighter wallet....no sign of infection...wore these new shoes called "Crocs"... excellent beach walking shoes...Thanks Juro...you captured the facts well....love the list.

capeflydoc
08-08-2005, 07:09 PM
Grizz, Penguin, Striblue and Juro.
Wanted to let you all know that my family and I really enjoyed your company this weekend. You all showed my family that fly fishermen are articulate, entertaining, and clearly as possessed by their passion to fish the fly as dad. I look forward to our next encounter. Striblue, you are an inspiration for my fly tying, and I hope to get some pointers form you during the lull this fall/winter. Monomoy rocks from a boat or shore, but the spectacular scenery is best appreciated on foot. I must of walked 15 to 20 miles on this slice of paradise.

Ed Caldwell

striblue
08-08-2005, 08:19 PM
Ed, great to have met you and your great family as well...your kids will remember that trip years from now...Fly tying? any time! My only fear is that my reputation as the Iron Man "might" be supeceded by YOU! :wink: Anyway I am very happy that you have signed on and keep in touch with us one way or another...but you can always find us here....So now that you are signed up I will take the liberty of posting a dinning room Picture .

Doc Duprey
08-08-2005, 09:35 PM
Mrs. Doc's (Margie's) comment to the housekeeping photos: "We've done a lot worse on fishing trips! Any jewel weed seen to counteract the Poison Ivy? If not...Oh, well...Rejuvenation can have a price, I guess! I'll pump water anytime!"

Sounds like my slot on the next trip may be taken by my better half. :eek:

Better bribe the kids! :cool:

Best regards, and thanks for the scouting report,

-Doc

striblue
08-08-2005, 11:24 PM
Marge..."Ivy Block".....works! Needs to be put on BEFORE contact. Got it at CVS...expensive. $12.00 for a small bottle...

Greg Pavlov
08-09-2005, 01:30 AM
Thanks for the photographs !

flydoc
08-09-2005, 08:39 PM
Ed "Capeflydoc" Caldwell- welcome to the group-glad to see another local MD get into the saltwater fly scene. You couldn't have picked a better group of guys to run into on a Monomoy weekend. Like your handle, too (sounds kinda familiar....)

John- glad to have ya back in the game, buddy. Look forward to another evening chat at CAC. I've also found that bourbon goes down alot smoother when mixed with a little cow juice...maybe I'll drop by with a bit of both Saturday night if you're around.

Juro- oh yeah, the Atlantis is the perfect rip-tamer. Had my best (numbers wise) outing with it on the rip last year. Hope mine will come back from the CND custom shop in time for the next one (or at least in time for the Boneclave...).

Pete- what's the caliber of that mount on the FOMPV (Friends of Monomoy Patrol Vehicle)? Looks like a 20mm at least....

Hoping to hit the flats on Sunday.....
Jim "Flydoc" Shepherd, M.D.

Penguin
08-09-2005, 08:52 PM
Environmentally phriendly 50cal phrozen carrots! :eek:

Hey...
You and Dr Ed ought to get involved with the "Friends of Monomoy"...
"On call light house Docs"...has a nice ring, don't you think?!

WARNING...
Trying to keep up with John while he's walking down the beach is like trying to keep up with a plow horse on his way back to the hay barn!
Trying to keep up with Dr Ed is IMPOSSIBLE!!! :Eyecrazy:

juro
08-09-2005, 09:08 PM
Juro- oh yeah, the Atlantis is the perfect rip-tamer. Had my best (numbers wise) outing with it on the rip last year. Hope mine will come back from the CND custom shop in time for the next one (or at least in time for the Boneclave...)

Parts are on order, this will be taken care of before "CND North America goes bigtime" with a whole new operational structure :smokin:

flydoc
08-09-2005, 11:08 PM
Juro- thanks for the update- I'll have to start up with my "wall exercises" for the two hander casting stroke, and get my new Airflo Beach lines on the reel spools...

Pete- sounds like a plan- Dr Ed can bring the allergy meds (ENT) for those of us who snore like jackhammers, and I'll bring the prednisone and doxycycline to cover any outbreaks of poison ivy and Lyme disease (respectively)....now if we can just recruit a podiatrist to deal with the aftermath of the infamous "Death March"....

Doc Shep

striblue
08-10-2005, 01:45 PM
Her is a picture of the scale model of the SM Light House which Juro and the guys gave me for CAC.

striblue
10-03-2009, 09:14 PM
Bumped this up to the top....as a reminder of what we might be able to get into next season...overnight at the Light house. I think new guys will enjoy the pics...This trip was the first time flyguys went overnight there, Myself, Juro,Pete, and Grizz. I think Simms went several weeks later and we all left one fly each on the collection table near the sign... the other six people were birders except one guy, Dr. Ed flyfished as well.

FishHobby
10-09-2009, 03:05 PM
This was a great thread to read with excellent pictures. Sounds like this was just an amazing trip.

-Phil

jimS
10-10-2009, 08:41 AM
John, it is my understanding that renovation will begin in 2010. I'm not sure about the completion date. Major work has to be done, new roof, ceiling and repairs from vandalism. Supplies and equipment are to be brought in by helicopter. Capt Keith is pretty much on top of this.

striblue
10-10-2009, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the update and I hope that we can start trips next year.