Hot Rainbows in Central CA [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Hot Rainbows in Central CA

nickcsus
08-05-2005, 05:16 PM
In the last two weeks I have been to Redding to fish the Lower Sacramento twice. Despite temperatures in the low 100's, this river stays at 55 degrees and fishes like a champ. On the river itself is like drifting in an evaporative cooler! It felt like someone opened the refrigerator door!

I landed 15+ fish on each 4 hr. float with smaller fish 12-16" on one day and much larger, much chunkier 14-20" fish on the other. It gets no finer than floating this river in the heat of summer. There's even a little dry fly action for those so inclined as it gets close to sunset.

Thanks for all the interesting reports around the country!

Nick in Sacramento

Eddie
08-05-2005, 08:44 PM
...and inch for inch, they are some of the hottest fish on the planet. Wild, native and plentiful.

DEERHAAWK
08-05-2005, 11:57 PM
Nick,
Damn nice Bow, Bro!
The heat has been on here in NW Oregon, and the Trout are rockin!
Deerhawk

Bob Pauli
08-06-2005, 03:45 AM
Nick,
Do you folks from Sacratomato call Redding Central California?

nickcsus
08-06-2005, 12:32 PM
Only when we are looking East to West!

Nick in Middle Central CA

andre
08-09-2005, 06:50 PM
Ah, the best time is in the spring when the flows are low and the caddis are coming off in clouds. Yes very hot fish but it can be a little stinky near the pooper plant. I haven't fished there in 15 years.

nickcsus
08-11-2005, 01:54 AM
No sign (or smell) of anything stinky in any of my trips. I will be going back again next Wednesday, so I will keep my nose tuned in.

Steelhead action begins soon below Anderson I am told so what could be better than going out for rainbows and happening upon a monstrous steelie to make your day....

Nick in Sacramento