MONOMOY RIP OVERNIGHT [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: MONOMOY RIP OVERNIGHT

juro
08-03-2005, 06:53 PM
This weekend. Sat night - THREE SPOTS OPEN...

anyone IN??

$100 bucks, no deadline for evening and dawn rip fishing (tide is perfect)

I could be talked into this with 2 conspirators...

juro
08-03-2005, 07:07 PM
Sat dinner:

Fresh bluefish blackened with cajun spices in light olive oil
or sauteed striped bass fillet rubbed with seafood seasoning
depending on catch of the day
rice pilaf
cole slaw
(no beans)
fresh strawberry shortcake dessert

Breakfast:

pancakes & bacon
fresh fruit
starbucks coffee

lunch:

power bars? Steamers and beer at Squire's upon return to civilization

Need:

Bring your own water
Sleeping bag
fishing gear
1/3 of the above food, which is quite small to carry

grizz0707
08-03-2005, 07:57 PM
can you give me any idea of a departure time. I'm good to go. :chuckle: Is there any place I can sleep Friday night? I will also bring poidy oil :Eyecrazy:

Penguin
08-03-2005, 07:59 PM
I've just arranged for a certified/qualified Lucy foster...

Good-to-go...
...and ready for another death march! :eek:

striblue
08-03-2005, 08:10 PM
Juro... the fire in me has not yet returned...but if I say yes.... include me.... I will arrange for someone to check on my kids...John...SO YES

doogue
08-03-2005, 09:07 PM
I have a hall pass all weekend.

I am game if there is room. But I want to wait until I hear from John before I book over his spot.

I will wait to call the Friends of Monomoy until I know more,

Mike

Penguin
08-03-2005, 09:39 PM
That soccer team that went down in the Andes to start eating each other?! :confused: :eek:
and...
Will it be possible to get voted OFF the island? :Eyecrazy:

juro
08-03-2005, 10:41 PM
I had things pop up since... but since John has said yes, well then that's all I need to hear. I will call them in the AM and tell them I AM IN.

PSYCHED :smokin:

striblue
08-04-2005, 12:35 AM
I am IN..... I don't know who the other six are except from this post.... Mike?.... was I the 6th... not sure.... I think there is still room for you...if 3 were open at my fisrt post.

juro
08-04-2005, 06:27 AM
John -

There were naturalists already signed up. No bird jokes. ;)

juro
08-04-2005, 07:20 AM
There is no running water, no cooking range or oven and no fires allowed. I believe there is no electricity either. Propane stoves are allowed in the lighthouse kitchen so foods must be cooked in a pot or pan. I will inquire about coolers in the lighthouse this am.

The distance from the landing to the lighthouse is only 1/2 mile but if conditions prevent landing there is a possibility of a death march to the tip. Wind forecase for Sat is expected to be NE 8-14, which using the Rip Ryder Rule is 8+14=22 mph :hihi: Not sure what the Sunday wind situation is going to be, we should check again later.

Stuff to bring:

(Fresh bluefish blackened with cajun spices in light olive oil)
-- small jar light olive oil
-- 1 jar Chef Paul Prudhomme Blackened Redfish Magic Spice

(or sauteed striped bass fillet rubbed with seafood seasoning)
-- Alternate CPP Seafood Magic (lighter rubbing spice for fish)

depending on catch of the day

(rice pilaf)
-- 2 or 3 boxes, I will bring these.

(cole slaw)
-- ready chopped in bag, small pre-mix package of dressing

(no beans)

(fresh strawberry shortcake dessert)
-- package of fresh strawberries
-- sm package of strawberry sauce
-- buttermilk biscuits
-- can of instant real whipped cream

Breakfast:

(pancakes & bacon)
-- box of complete pancake mix (just add water)
-- vaccum pack of bacon
-- maple syrup

(fresh fruit)
-- maybe a melon, grapefruit or something

(starbucks coffee)
-- singleshot drip funnel might be the way to go unless they have a perc pot

Also:
-- propane stove, one already there at camp but another might be nice to have
-- small lantern would be a good idea if fishing the rip at night

lunch:

power bars? Steamers and beer at Squire's upon return to civilization

Need:

Bring your own water (one-way weight)
Sleeping bag (small packable, it should be warm anyway)
fishing gear (the tough part to keep small and light)
1/3 of the above food (one-way weight)
small stove, lantern
propane (one-way weight)
flashlight
cell phone
camera
change of clothes in case you get wet
sunblock (supposed to be bluebird
small personal first aid kit each
light packable jacket
bug spray

Gonna be fun!

juro
08-04-2005, 07:30 AM
Questions for staff:

- are there pads to sleep on or should we bring those as well?

- are there lanterns or do we need to bring them? (most likely should if we are night fishing)

- do the propane cans adapt to standard stoves and lanterns in the lighthouse?

- how many slots can we take?

- what are the pick-up and drop-off times?

- are there pots and pans at the lighthouse or do we need to bring those too?

- utensils? spatula / etc?

- does the bar have single malts? :lildevl:

doogue
08-04-2005, 10:54 AM
John, you go for it.

I will check for space at the last minute and attend if there is a slot. I am flexible.

I may head to Chatham with my kayak anyway and just see what kind of trouble I can get into.

Thanks,

Mike

juro
08-04-2005, 11:38 AM
All funds go to the restoration of the lighthouse.

Coolers are what we bring, a light soft-sider is probably the best choice.

7 naturalists are already on this trip, so we are hard-limited to 3 this time.

If we can get a commitment (like $) for another date we can book the whole lighthouse ourselves on another day and post-pone our participation this time.

Another option is that we have 3 "scouts" go and prepare for the Forum Rip overnight from what is learned about the opportunity.

striblue
08-04-2005, 12:13 PM
Juro...who are the three> You, Me, and Pete?

DFix
08-04-2005, 04:46 PM
Curses - Foiled Again! :smokin:

(I couldn't go anyway! :roll: )

jfbasser
08-04-2005, 07:22 PM
Furyk Again :)

juro
08-05-2005, 06:56 AM
Juro...who are the three> You, Me, and Pete?

Yes, Griz generously volunteered his seat so we three could make this adventure. Chuck, you are a true friend and gentleman we'll make sure John enjoys this outing.

*** Let's book the lighthouse ourselves ***

I suggest we reserve the lighthouse for ourselves soon, 10 Forum fly flingers should be easy.

The hardtails will be joining the rip regulars soon, and those who know the area are aware of a certain structure that holds them like glue at the shore.

With bunker in the rip things would get very interesting especially with an extended range of times and tides to fish it.

We will do the recon this time and make sure the group outing goes off without a hitch.

Nick
08-05-2005, 09:54 AM
Depending on dates..i may be convinced to go on a FFF outing!

Doc Duprey
08-05-2005, 10:43 AM
Count me in for the proposed FF weekend...even if I have to crawl!

Best regards,

-Doc

juro
08-05-2005, 11:19 AM
I'm sure I won't be able to stay away, so that's 1/3 the quorum already.

Griz
Nick
Doc Duprey
Juro

How about we wait until the bunker and hardtails are definitely in the area, and choose a tide that lets us take it leisurely at night with a wild rip churning by day. Maybe try to get a slice of the migration started, we'll have to check with the options on dates to deploy.

Don't hesitate to put your name in, second round will be deposit-based. I will offer my spot to allow others who have not experienced it go, in fact I insist on it.

Penguin
08-05-2005, 11:48 AM
Because of the "baggage" and logistical/weight considerations... :tsk_tsk:
Capt Keith leads me to believe that there is only room for seven souls on board...
...until he gets one of those pull-behind bananna-boat rides...
Trolling for Great Whites...wet but fun! :Eyecrazy:

juro
08-05-2005, 11:53 AM
Yes, just talked to Mary - we could be out this time.

NP, we'll just do our own as planned.

Adrian
08-05-2005, 12:44 PM
How could I possibly pass this one up :lildevl:

I'm a definite for now :smokin:

Dave17
08-05-2005, 01:30 PM
Count me in too :D.....

This will be my last trip to Striper country in a while.

Juro, the move to Atlanta is a definite, Sept 1st. $75 round trip flights to Nassau and the keys, can't wait for next years ridiculous :lildevl:

Dave

juro
08-05-2005, 02:06 PM
CONFIRMED FOR FOUR!

Griz, if you are still interested there are four slots.

If not, Mike Doogue was next I believe.

1) Striblue
2) Penguin
3) myself
4) ______

7am comes early!

grizz0707
08-05-2005, 04:39 PM
:chuckle: :wink: count me as the fourth what can i bring for the trip fresh tomatoes olive oil fresh mossarilla chees and fresh basil :hihi: poidy oil :whoa: anything else juro just post me i will leave pa at midnight will be at the cape aroung 6am will also bring pancakes and bacon strawbeeries and whip cream and angel food cake for the base

juro
08-05-2005, 08:48 PM
After talking to Penguin about MRE's and heating a turd-efficient meal to boiling on a flat rock, I started to question the caveman cuisine approach. I have some mountain meals in a bag that will take little room on the way there and even less room on the way back.

So taking inventory:

The Pruhomme's spice and a very small olive oil nalgene jar take no room at all. The confines probably prohibit cajun grilling, lighthouses are not known for their jenn-aires.

So maybe just some sauteed' striper (fluke, scup, blue), pilaf and local butter and sugar corn. We can throw away the wrappers on the corn right outside. If the fillets do not materialize, we eat the mountain food (just add hot water in the bag). I've vaccum packed all of this for light weight and compactness.

Mary is cooking pasta as well but I prefer to come prepared. Penguin has his own space rations. Anyone who wants in on the fresh fish du jour is welcome to join in.

Griz - I'll let you do the desert sounds like you have a good handle on it. Maybe brownies would be easier to carry - it's a good hike across the tundra to reach the lighthouse and there is no refrigeration besides the coolers we carry. For that matter, I would not go to too much trouble. We will probably have all we can handle with a little peat water.

For an idea of the remoteness, google earth to south monomoy... go down to the 'bulb' as John Morin calls it. in the upper right quadrant you will see a small structure with a couple of roads radiating from it. That's the lighthouse!

The hike to the point is probably 2 miles or so. I would like to go up to inward pt where the west side flats reach out but that's a serious hike.

In any case, it will be a new and unique adventure and I think we should book the whole lighthouse a little later in the year.

striblue
08-05-2005, 09:01 PM
I think this will be the best beach fishing there is...west side at night and the rip when the tide is right..... I have my camera ready for lots of pics as well as pictures inside the light house..... we will tell the birders that we are planning to party all night :lildevl: :wink: