Thank You Sean McD. [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Thank You Sean McD.

Striper
07-31-2005, 09:32 PM
I owe Sean McD a huge thank you and even though I have already thanked him I want to thank him again for his unselfish sharing of info in regards to some bluefin tuna he has been fishing. We talked last night and he told me where he was on Saturday and landed a SBFT, he said he was going to return today and if we wanted to meet up and work as a team to come and join him. I talked to my friend Kevin and Jim and we made plans to meet up with Sean today. Without having to go into pages of description I will keep it short. It was by far my BEST day of fishing this year and possibly in my life except for my huge bass. We landed 8 sbft today and dropped several more. The fish were between 17-25 lbs. and by far the most exciting fish I have ever witnessed. We took all the fish on 9-10 wt. rods, on both intermediate and sinking lines and here is the kicker. At first we had some difficulty cracking the code but as soon as we tied on one of Jim's flies that he had been saving for a rainy day we were in the game. Problem was he only had 3 of these flies and in the heat of things we lost 1, so we were down to 2 flies. My buddy Kevin and I used the same fly to catch 7 SBFT, Kevin landed 3 and I was lucky enough to hookup 4 times and land all 4 fish. He would hookup and land the fish and then cut the fly off and give it to me where upon I would hookup and repeat the process. The first one I hooked took me quite awhile to land as i was not sure how much pressure to exert on them and wanted to land the fish. After I watched Kevin land one of his fish in a record 4 mins. flat I put the heat on the rest of the fish I hooked and it only took me 5-6 mins. to land the rest. I am more than willing to answer any and all questions except location based as I was not the one to find these fish and therefore not in a position to share the info. I promised Sean that when I posted the report I would omit any location info on his behalf, if you want location please divert those questions to Sean.

Slinger
07-31-2005, 09:45 PM
Everyone got in the game but me! In 2 days I`ve missed a couple and broken off 4, eventually the leader will be so short they can`t break it! I`ve never had fish pop me off like these. If you want a real circus try catching bluefin on a fly when your all alone in the boat! I`m on a mission now, if they hang around one more week, they`re in trouble.
Slinger

Smcdermott
07-31-2005, 10:08 PM
Mike,

No thanks neccessary. As we all know you have been very generous in offering not only advice but even a trip on the "Hardcore" for me when I was just getting started in what has become my passion.

I am working on about 6 hours sleep over the past two days and about 22hrs on the boat motor so I won't add much but to say WOW!

Here are a few pics of a couple lucky anlgers (myself and porkslice.)

Striper
07-31-2005, 10:16 PM
Dude awesome pics and I second the .......WOW! I too am on 6 hours in the last 48 work tomorrow is going to be a B**ch. The Sliceman pics are awesome he is a character :hihi:

http://ctfisherman.com/data/418KevinPics009.jpg

RayStachelek
07-31-2005, 10:27 PM
Man..... U guys are having a tuna blast on beer budget gasoline usage!

Nice to have 'em in our back yard. Let's hope they stay around

Mike and Sean....awesome adventure dudes! Great stories to tell in the winter months.

Thanks Slinger for the heads up and sharing. Don't no when?

juro
07-31-2005, 10:28 PM
Unreal! Pass the wasabi! :smokin:

juro
07-31-2005, 11:10 PM
Unreal! Pass the wasabi! :smokin:

Sean -

Is that the 9wt?? Doesn't look like a 12wt from here

Slinger
08-01-2005, 12:24 AM
Lesson learned never try to use a Boga on a Tuna, dey got no lips! And if you ever get the chance to tail a 30# be prepared to have your arm ripped off. Best to carry a big net. This fishing is just incredible! It`s on a totally differant level than anything I done before. The sensation when 20 -40# fish blow up right beside the boat is sheer adrenaline.
Let`s see, I popped one off when the line wrapped around the steering wheel, another when it wrapped around the keys and yet another when the line was around the reel handle and one more when I thought I should tighten down on him to slow him down. I saw heavy wire hooks straightened out like they were paperclips and 10 wts. blown up. Absolutly amazing!
Slinger

sean
08-01-2005, 01:54 AM
Sweet. Amazing that the bluefin are in that close to shore. Does not sound like it happens very often and kudos to you all to be out experiencing it.

-sean

jfbasser
08-01-2005, 07:46 AM
Let`s see, I popped one off when the line wrapped around the steering wheel, another when it wrapped around the keys
Slinger

Slinger, remember if one pulls the keys out of the ignition don't break him off unless you keep a spare set in your pocket :tsk_tsk:

Dble Haul
08-01-2005, 09:08 AM
Sean, you're killing me!! Now I really wish I hadn't had that previous commitment on Saturday.......

Great stuff! :smokin:

Smcdermott
08-01-2005, 10:37 AM
Sean -

Is that the 9wt?? Doesn't look like a 12wt from here

Yes, all fish were landed on 9wts on my boat. Well at least the fly rod fish were on 9s. We did venture to the dark side a few times when our arms needed a break! 14 hours of casting to and fighting tuna can take its toll. :cool:

Mattb
08-01-2005, 10:45 AM
It seems like these fish get closer to shore every year. I'm sure it'll never be a regular occurence, but it'd be nice if it became a bit less of a freak event to see these guys from shore.

Imagine casting to pods of bluefin as they race down the West Wall? Probably wouldn't have much of a chance without being able to give chase, but it'd be a blast until the backing ran out.

jfbasser
08-01-2005, 11:13 AM
Let`s see, I popped one off when the line wrapped around the steering wheel, another when it wrapped around the keys Slinger

If you use a FLOATING LINE like I told you...the keys may be safe :hihi:

Cole
08-03-2005, 04:00 PM
Incredible pictures man! Those football fish really push the limits of a 9 wt rod.... :cool:

mikez
08-04-2005, 05:38 PM
Hey Slinger, I'm worried about ya!
Old guys like you shouldn't be out there all by yourself, you might hurt yerself! :lildevl:
If you need a slightly used but still spry first mate, let me know. ;)

BigDave
08-05-2005, 10:27 AM
We got into them Weds and Thurs. Thanks again to Sean and others for teaming up with us on these magnificent fish. Weds we went 4 for 6. Yesterday we had a million shots but got just one in the boat. The power of these fish, especially when they get under the boat is simply incredible. We were using 10wt rods and a couple of the bigger fish had those rods completely torqued - especially near the boat.

We learned the hard way to double and triple check all leaders, knots and rod ferrules between fish. These things will pop you off on the initial run so fast that you'll hardly know what hit you :Eyecrazy: