smallies in camden maine [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: smallies in camden maine

nmbrowncom
07-25-2005, 06:00 PM
i'm taking my 2 boys to the camden, maine area for smallie fishing around the 12th of august. i'll be fly fishing and they will be predominantly spin fishing but will try the fly a bit. any information on the area and the types of flies and tackle for fly fishing on the streams for smallies in the area will be much appreciated. thanks

Quentin
07-27-2005, 05:34 PM
Hmm . . . no responses yet?

I'm not familiar with that area so I'm afraid I can't help much. There must be someone out there who can help!

You might try posting in the worldwide flyfishing area also.

Q

juro
07-27-2005, 06:00 PM
Lake Megunticook (sp?) is only a few minutes away and offers good fishing. Camden is on the coast and there should be some shoreline action, mostly mackeral as I recall but possibly some stripers and blues.

teflon_jones
07-29-2005, 03:52 PM
I was smallie fishing up in Maine last month and the best fly I found was a black bead head woolly bugger with a lot of flash in it (mostly greenish). I also had a decent amount of luck with an all yellow bucktail streamer. I didn't have luck with an olive woolly bugger with no flash, or with a lot of other lures. All of my catches were on a large stream, btw (Grand Lake Stream).

sva01
08-02-2005, 10:35 AM
Get in touch with Paul Guernsey at Maine Sport. They are located just south of Camden on Rte. 1. He is an editor for Fly Rod & Reel magazine and will be able to help you out. You should also make sure to stop at Cappy's restaurant in downtown Camden for mussels and bloody mary's!! :devil:

gunner
08-03-2005, 08:08 PM
Try this forum:

<non-sponsor link removed>

Its the #1 flyfishing site in Maine and someone should be able to answer your question quickly; if that doesn't get you a quick response, I'll give you another site. Sorry I can't answer your question; I've never fished in the Camden area.

Gunner/Joe

nmbrowncom
08-07-2005, 05:59 PM
thanks for the tips. by the way any recommendations on gear? i'm thinking 6 and 7 wt rods, dry flies, poppers and streamers.

sva01
08-07-2005, 06:27 PM
Your thoughts on gear sound about right...