I need bargain spey reel advice [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: I need bargain spey reel advice

chromefinder
07-21-2005, 12:48 PM
Hello,

I'm looking for advice/recommendations on purchasing a "bargain/inexpesive" spey reel for my Redington Redfly 12'6'' 7/8 wt spey rod. The line I've already purshased is a Airflo Delta Spey Floater WF7/8F w/poly leaders. I plan to use this combo for Great Lakes Steelhead. I want something that balances the outfit and won't break the bank. Any thoughts? Anyone have anything used they want to sell? email chromefinder (chromefinder@yahoo.com)

Dornblaser
07-21-2005, 03:10 PM
I would suggest that you email MJC at www.redshedflyshop.com (http://www.redshedflyshop.com) for his recommendations.

David Dornblaser

Nooksack Mac
07-21-2005, 03:26 PM
If you want a bargain, and a tough, dependable, all-American classic, consider the Pflueger Medalist. The 1495 1/2 should handle that line ok, and the 1498 surely would. The 1495 1/2 weighs just 6.5 ounces, and the 1595 1/2 gives you rim control for an extra ounce or so. It has a caliper disc brake, with a good range.

peter-s-c
07-21-2005, 03:44 PM
Or consider the BFR Magnum 200D, often found offered by Cortland. Do a Google search for "Cortland Magnum 200D fly reel" and loads will show up. Do a search here for it as well. Probably the best value in a large capacity reel. I'm sure one or two of our sponsors offers the 200D.

Alternately, there are a number of decent composite large reels being offered these days.

Charlie
07-22-2005, 07:30 AM
All good advise.

MJC at www.redshedflyshop.com is a good choice for getting a good low cost Spey reel. Our other fly shop sponsors are also good resources for good low cost spey reels. Just about every one of them has someone on staff that is a spey expert.

www.tightlinesflyfishing.com
www.anglerswest.net
www.bearsden.com
www.kman.com
www.speyshop.com
www.whistlerflyfishing.com
www.saltwateredge.com
www.flyfishusa.com

Charlie.

baldmountain
07-22-2005, 07:47 AM
If you want a bargain, and a tough, dependable, all-American classic, consider the Pflueger Medalist. The 1495 1/2 should handle that line ok, and the 1498 surely would. The 1495 1/2 weighs just 6.5 ounces, and the 1595 1/2 gives you rim control for an extra ounce or so. It has a caliper disc brake, with a good range.

Nope. I have a 1495 1/2. A 6/7 just barely fits without backing. I'm pretty sure a 7/8 will not fit. Maybe on the 1498.

Dornblaser
07-22-2005, 03:49 PM
All good advise.

MJC at www.redshedflyshop.com is a good choice for getting a good low cost Spey reel. Our other fly shop sponsors are also good resources for good low cost spey reels. Just about every one of them has someone on staff that is a spey expert.

www.anglerswest.net
www.bearsden.com
www.kman.com
www.speyshop.com
www.whistlerflyfishing.com
www.saltwateredge.com
www.flyfishusa.com

Charlie.

Wow, that's more fly shops than I would have guessed were sponsors. Some great shops in that list.

David