15+ lb Carp on Natrix's Crayfish Fly [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: 15+ lb Carp on Natrix's Crayfish Fly

Quentin
07-17-2005, 10:35 AM
Natrix's Crayfish Fly (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk4/showthread.php?t=19614)

I was using Natrix's crayfish fly in shallow water, watching to see how the fish reacted to different retrieves. I walked down the shore a bit and saw a big carp feeding within casting range. I botched the cast and the fly landed beyond the target zone, and then the fish started to swim towards me. I pulled the fly past the carp's face, fully expecting to spook it, and then dropped the fly on the bottom just ahead of the carp. It went right after the fly and flared its lips so I set the hook. Fish on! I was using the 5 wt and thought I was in for a long battle, but it turned out to be one of the wimpy carp and it never got into my backing. It still put up a respectable fight and it took several minutes for me to land and release it. It's hard to guestimate the weight on larger carp, especially when you leave them in the water, but I know it was one of the biggest I've landed to date. Thanks Natrix :D ! Oh yeah, I also caught a couple small bass on the same fly.

Q

Dble Haul
07-18-2005, 08:03 AM
Way to go Q! :smokin:

Sluggish or not, a 15 pound carp is an accomplishment on a five weight.

Adrian
07-18-2005, 02:36 PM
:smokin: Brilliant :smokin:

Quentin
07-18-2005, 08:21 PM
Thanks guys! Of course, the 20# leader helped a bit :hihi: . The best part was right after I hooked up and it wallowed around in front of me, moving huge amounts of water as it tried to get its shoulders down to dig in and head for deeper water. It looked like I'd hooked an alligator or something :whoa: . I was fishing close to shore and had only a small amount of line out so I was able to get the fish on the reel without giving up too much line. I waited for it to make its move but it never did :confused: .

I wish I'd had the camera because it was one of the linear mirror carp with just a single row of large scales along each side of its back. Looked like some kind of dinosaur!

Q

natrix
07-21-2005, 05:51 PM
Atta boy. That's good to hear.

A 15 pounder on a 5 w is a respectable accomplishment.

Natrix