Lightweight flyrod recommendations [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Lightweight flyrod recommendations

soloflyfisher
07-15-2005, 08:11 PM
Currently, my lightest flyrod is a 5wt (Sage XP). Last week, however, I fished with a guide who let me use his 3wt. I liked it so much, I'm thinking of buying a lightweight rod for myself. Two questions:

What weight would you recommend (00, 0, 1, 2, 3, or 4)? I'll be using the rod for small trout and maybe some panfish, often in stillwaters with light to moderate wind. I'm thinking 2 or 3 wt might be best, but would be interested in opinions on all of the above weights (00 through 4).

What brands would you recommend? In particular, are the new Sage TXL's any good?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

baldmountain
07-15-2005, 08:46 PM
You need to check out Bill Byrd's Ultralight website. He has lots of info on fishing with ultra light fly rods, for Bass!

He is not a sponsor so I won't post a link but just Google "Bill Byrd Ultralight" and it's the first link. Click on "SE Ultralight". Lots of good info on ultralight fly fishing.

Eddie
07-15-2005, 09:09 PM
light rods can be alot of fun, and usefull fishing tools in the right cercumstances. The biggest limitation that they present is the size of fly you can cast. Be sure to test the rod that you choose with the flies you will need to cast. Casting a #14 royal wulf on a 00wt rod might be tough.
I have not cast the new Sage TXL rods, but a friend whos opinion I trust thinks that they are terrific. If you like the guides rig, and anticipate fishing in those conditions, maybe you should get one of those. you already know it works.

Nooksack Mac
07-17-2005, 08:49 PM
In my experience - which admittedly stops at three-weights - a four weight is suitable for small fly, smooth water fishing about 96 or 97% of the time, and a three-weight is suitable 100% of the time. This includes use on Silver Creek, Idaho. There may be places where the bright sun beats down on eather-clear water, and the trout can distinguish between a Japanese and a Norwegian No. 24 hook, where lighter lines are needed, but I doubt it.

The other day, I tried a friend's fast action three-weight with a bead-head nymph, and was surprised to see that the rod handled it nicely. I know that a three struggles against a moderate breeze. So I believe that a three is the lower limit for practical lightweight tackle.

solitude
07-22-2005, 11:40 AM
I purchased a Sage TXL 3wt. (7'10") right before spring. I love it. It casts great, is light and well balanced with my reel. It has been a tremendous amount of fun catching small trout on it. However, in my opinion, one of the best features of it is that it can hold its own with the occasional lunker. I landed an 18.5" brown with an 11" girth on a #18 tan caddis. He made several runs and it took twenty minutes, but what a load of fun that was.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!! I may never fish the 5 wt. again :)

soloflyfisher
07-22-2005, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the advice, solitude--sounds like a blast catching such a nice brown on that rod, and it's good to hear it can handle bigger fish.

Just curious--what reel do you use with it?

solitude
07-22-2005, 03:14 PM
I put a Ross Rhythm #0 on it. While the #1 had more line holding capability, the #0 just felt more balanced and complemented the rod better.

One other note about the TXL that doesn't bother me but may be a consideration for you is that the cork grip is shorter than some other brands. I have seen some reviews where this has been a comfort issue for those with a larger hand.

ashbourn
07-24-2005, 05:43 PM
I just got a 6' 3wt J.P. Ross. It is a med. action rod, and I can cast quite far yet still be able to cast less then 10 ft
I find I have to use shorter leaders but that might be my bad casting.