Fish names around the country [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Fish names around the country

teflon_jones
07-14-2005, 09:44 AM
I thought it would be interesting to hear the different names people call the same fish around the country. I put the proper name first on each line below, followed by variations and the region I've heard this from (if applicable).

Striped Bass, striper, rock bass (Virginia area)

Menhaden, Pogie (NY), bunker (NY)

Crappie, calico bass (southern New England)

Sunfish, bluegill, pumpkinseeds (NY), kivver (southern New England)

Largemouth bass, bucketmouth, LMB

Smallmouth bass, rock bass

Dble Haul
07-14-2005, 10:00 AM
Stripers are also known in some areas as rockfish.

Crappie also have local names such as strawberry bass, papermouth, and white perch (even though they aren't white perch).

Bluegills and pumpkinseeds are both members of the sunfish family. Sunfish is a catchall term, whereas the others are more specific.

Redear sunfish are also known as croakers and shellcrackers.

Largemouth and smallmouth bass are also called black bass in some areas, even though it's a catchall term for largemouth, smallmouth, and spotted bass.

I think we need to formalize some of these names to alleviate confusion! :confused: :)

juro
07-14-2005, 10:45 AM
And then there's SCHROD :lildevl:

rosskess
07-14-2005, 11:55 AM
Schrod is a market term for Cod/haddock under 2.5 or 3 pounds ( I'm not sure which). An old timer gillnetter I used to work with stated that scrod=cod while schrod=haddock. Probably some either regional or lost differentiation.

My favoroite common name fiasco has to be the epic of the goliath grouper which was formerly known as the jewfish. The fish and game folks changed the name for politically correct reasons (ala northern pike minnow formerly known as the "squawfish"). The locals now refer to this fish as the goliath jewfish.

..........Here's your sign

Philster
07-14-2005, 04:49 PM
Any "Fishing with John" fans out there. How about the Chicken Fish, also known as the Cheese Fish in France :rolleyes:

juro
07-14-2005, 05:15 PM
The yankee fish 'squeteague' are weaks in the mid-atlantic and spotted trout down south. Albies are bonita in Florida, bonito probably are bonita too but I don't think anyone notices down there since they're marlin bait. We call 'em bones in New England but everywhere else a bone is a bone, not a 'nita. Snapper, chopper, slammer - a blue whether you like 'em or not. :Eyecrazy:

soloflyfisher
07-18-2005, 02:39 PM
Up in Maine, they call Lake Trout togue.

Quentin
07-18-2005, 07:54 PM
I sometimes call pickerel @#&*%&%$!! :hihi:

Walleye = walleyed pike = pike perch. Sauger are different but closely related.

Alewife = herring (= buckies, I think?) but not all herring = alewife.

Monkfish = goosefish = anglerfish.

Q

dewey
07-18-2005, 09:37 PM
Philster - I love "Fishing with John" - especially the icefishing with Willem Dafoe episode in Maine.

Brookie = squaretail
smallie=bronzeback
crayfish=crawdad
Oh, and what the hell is a bream?
Also, those random little white fish I catch all of the time in our Vermont streams (more than trout) - what are they? Fallfish? Dace? Chubs?

DEERHAAWK
07-19-2005, 12:06 AM
Just as it say's on the back of my truck

Oncorhynchus Mykiss....'cause, well, I'm Pro-Bow!

DH

soloflyfisher
07-19-2005, 10:00 AM
Also, those random little white fish I catch all of the time in our Vermont streams (more than trout) - what are they? Fallfish? Dace? Chubs?

They're fallfish most likely--but a friend of mine rechristened them "royal trout" after one long day of catching nothing else . . . it sounded much more impressive in the bar that evening . . .

Another good fish name is speckled trout, which is used for a host of different species in different areas. In Maine, brookies are often called speckled trout. In other areas, I think some saltwater fish (weakfish maybe?) are called speckled trout.

Eric
07-19-2005, 10:44 AM
Local names for fish can drive you nuts. They also give a sort of clue as to where you're from.

Just a few equivalents from the West Coast:

Chinook = King, Spring, Jack (immature) and Tyee (Quinnat in New Zealand) salmon.

Coho = Silver

Sockeye = Blueback (Columbia system), Red

Chum = Dog, Calico

Pink = Humpback, Humpie

Sea run cutthroat = Blueback, Harvest Trout

Candlefish = Needlefish, Sand Lance

I've missed a lot, I know, but it all points to the need for consistent use of a common name, sort of like the bird watchers do (much to the amusement of all, but it does help clarify things).

I think fishing writers, at least, should strictly use the preferred common name when discussing a particular fish.

Just a thought.

BTW: Is there another common name for steelhead? I've never heard of them called anything else.

Petri heil,

Eric

Eric
07-19-2005, 11:00 AM
One answer to my own question. I think some markets sell steelhead as "summer salmon."

Eric
07-19-2005, 11:03 AM
I've got to quit this. One more: the little guys on the Rogue and Klamath are called "half-pounders."

Eric

teflon_jones
07-19-2005, 11:42 AM
Oh, and what the hell is a bream?
Also, those random little white fish I catch all of the time in our Vermont streams
(more than trout) - what are they? Fallfish? Dace? Chubs?

bream=sunfish

As far as I know, all fallfish are chubs but all chubs are not fallfish. Also, a large dace could be a chub, but not all dace are chubs. And a dace is definitely not a fallfish.

Swalt
07-24-2005, 10:56 AM
Redfish in the Gulf, Florida and Georgia I think.
Spottail in South Carolina
Channel Bass or Red Drum for the big ones in North Carolina and Puppy Drum for the small ones.

Chris
07-27-2005, 08:43 AM
Here in Maine White Perch are also often called HUMPIES by the old timers.

capt_gordon
07-27-2005, 09:04 AM
In North Carolina I have actually never heard a red drum referred to as a channel bass. Reds under 10 lbs are known as puppy drum and those over 30 lbs are known as Old Drum.
Pickerel are jacks.
Sunfish are brim.
Weakfish (squeteague) are grey trout not to be confused with the Southern Spotted Weakfish which is known as speckled trout which is confusing because in the mountains of North Carolina a brook trout is also called a speckled trout sometimes/often.
Any herring or shad type fish is pretty much called a shad around here (Carteret County, NC), that includes threadfin herring, menhaden (bunker) and alewives. Don't ask me why...
The southern kingfish, which is known as whiting in some places, is called a sea mullet here and a virginia mullet a bit further north (virginia) :chuckle:
Which isn't too confusing except that we also have tons of mullet and king mackerel(which is called kingfish in FL).
Stripers are known as simply rock in the areas they are caught by local folk.
Any ray that is caught by a person off a pier is automatically called a skate.
We get a nice run of atlantic bonito here in April and May and most folks have not seen them and when they do think they are false albacore which are just called albacore by the locals.

This is a great thread! :)

pescaphile
07-27-2005, 01:41 PM
I've pulled in a couple of Pink-Chum Salmon hybrids while aboard a troller. They were referred to as "Chumpies."

Swalt
07-30-2005, 08:44 AM
Gordon,
Maybe you don't go back far enough but the Channel Bass is our state fish.

http://www.secretary.state.nc.us/pubsweb/symbols/sy-bass.htm