Vancouver fishing? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Vancouver fishing?

fishinfool
07-14-2005, 08:21 AM
A friend of mine is going to be in Vancouver from the 21st to the 26th of August and asked me about fishing opportunities. Do any of you in the area have suggestions about what he could do during that time frame? He said he is interested in either river or lake fishing, just wants to get some time in. Thanks in advance for your replies.
John

juro
07-14-2005, 08:27 AM
You're in luck. Tell him to contact our sponsors Whistler Flyfishing and Anglers West (see sponsor page).

Brian Niska and staff can put him into some great fishing in scenic Whistler to the north (an easy drive and well worth it) and Scott Baker McGarva will steer you right in downtown Vancouver.

Tell him not to overlook the salmon fishing opportunities!

Eric
07-16-2005, 06:00 PM
I don't know if your friend would just eschew salt water fishing or what, but the pinks should be in off the beaches and they can be a lot of fun on light gear. The Oyster River and several other estuaries north of Nanaimo offer reliable possibilities. Check out Barry Thornton's articles on the web (e.g.,bcadventure.com/adventure/angling/protalk/thornton/beach.phtml). This fishing is pretty much a wading game and can really focus your attention as you follow the tide out and look for "locator pinks" to cast to. Small Clousers and Crazy Charlies work well.

Lake fishing for rainbows and cutthroats in the larger lakes can be good in the evenings. The are number lakes and reservoirs within short driving distances of major towns (e.g., Buttle Lake/Campbell River) that offer such fishing. The smaller lakes heat up in the summer.

Summer run steelhead are also available in several streams on the west coast of the island, from the Stamp in the south to the Marble in the north. Many of the rivers mentioned by Haig-Brown are in possibilties (Heber, Gold) but the fishing probably ain't what it used to be. As Juro pointed out, ask in the local fly shops.

Petri heil,

Eric

fishinfool
07-17-2005, 08:32 AM
A big thank you for the info. I have forwarded these recommendations to my friend and he asked me to thank you for him. Great to belong here and have folks who are so willing to share.
Best.
John