Winston BIIX vs. T&T HII [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Winston BIIX vs. T&T HII

Moose
07-13-2005, 05:53 PM
Looking at getting a couple new high end single handers to replace older rods. I'm thinking the Winston BIIX or T&T Horizon 2 rods for their light weight, quick action and recovery and overall quality. Anybody have opinions on either rods or hopefully the differences between the two?

I've already read all the literature and am looking at 9 foot 4 weight and 9 foot 6 weight rods to throw double taper or long forward tapered weight forward lines. I do not care at all for compound tapers, FWIW. Opinions good or bad solicited.

Count
07-14-2005, 02:30 PM
Hey Moose,

I own both the rods, although not in the weights you mentioned. The Boron IIx from Winston is an exceptionally lightweight and sensitive rod. It is not necessarily a fast-action rod, yet it generates high line speed with ease. It's also a versatile rod, responding well to a variety of casting strokes -- you can slow down and cast it slow and easy, or speed it up and it performs well either way.
Very smooth, beautiful rods. These rods finesse the line and fly to target. No need to muscle them, as the boron does all the work.

T&T Horizon II is beautiful like all T&T rods. Dark blue with green wraps and that anodized, machined reel seat. This rod is heavier than the Winston, and it is certainly stiffer. It's a fast rod with the same tapers as the old Horizon series, yet it's now lighter and stronger thanks to its helical graphite construction, which helps the blank walls retain their shape under pressure. This rod has a stiff butt section and a fast tip. Although it's stiff, casting this rod is easy. It's very smooth and generates very high line speed.

If it were me, I'd opt for the T&T if I frequently fished big water in windy conditions. If I often fished long days and made casts of varying lengths -- many of them short -- I'd probably opt for the Boron IIx.

If you're like me, you'll want to own both because both are exceptional rods, from the best two rod companies in the business. You can't go wrong with either...of course it all depends on what you like.

Good Luck,

Count

Moose
07-14-2005, 06:53 PM
That's pretty much the feeling I got so far, that the Winston would be the finesse rod capable of powerful casts and the T&T the super fast, high line speed rod. I'll likely go with the Winstons for their feel and versatillity. It is a hard choice though. Each time I look at one or the other I know I want one! I should buy one of each. Now, which one though, the BIIX 4 weight and the HII 6 weight, or the HII 4 weight and the BIIX 6 weight, or..... :chuckle:

benny
07-15-2005, 08:50 AM
maybe give the t&t helix a try. it was described to me by a t&t sales rep as the "goldielocks rod", not to fast, not too slow, just right. it's on my short list as well.

soloflyfisher
07-20-2005, 10:05 PM
I haven't tried the T&Ts (though I have a T&T spey that I absolutely love), but I did cast the Winston boron in 5 wt and thought it was one of the best rods I've ever cast. I ended up buying a sage XP instead of the Winston, but only because I wanted a rod for long casts. I'm now seriously considering buying the Winston in 3 wt for more delicate shorter casts. I think it's a great rod and can't see how you'd go wrong with it.

hnl
07-24-2005, 02:04 PM
Count,
Please read your personal messages

FishHawk
07-25-2005, 05:05 PM
I made a Winston BIIX for the salt and love the rod. Very sensitive light weight rod. It also has a lot of power if you need it. FishHawk

Youngpatawan
07-25-2005, 08:08 PM
Both of those rods are amazing. I would cast both of them in the weights that you want and find out which ones work with your casting style. I love the BIIX in there higher weights for steelhead, bass, and carp they are a great rod. I haven't fished the T&T rod but I have casted it and it is a really smooth casting rod. Both rods are great because they do the work for you without having to use alot of muscle to get the line out there. I have found that the Winston has a slighty softer tip than the T&T if that helps. Good Luck I think you will be happy with eathier one.

hmaadd
02-14-2006, 06:47 AM
Try the helix. I don't have one in the wt specified but have a 10 and its much slower than my horizon 5wt. both are great rods with great feel. The helix has a much softer tip very responsive. But I'm also looking for an HII 8wt so good luck lots to choose from.

FishHawk
02-14-2006, 03:41 PM
If the wind is strong the BIIX is not the rod to use. I am building the T&T Horizon II. to handle windy conditions. Now I have the two best rods on the market. FishHawk