Little white pests at Morris Island [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Little white pests at Morris Island

Cole
07-12-2005, 11:15 AM
Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone has encountered the swarms of little bugs around morris island? I found myself up in Orleans on a beach trip with a friend, and of course, I can't be driving within 10 miles of Chatham without dropping in to say hi to our striped friends. I was planning on heading over to the stage harbor inlet for the evening ebb tide, but subsequently got swarmed, and defeated, by thousands of white bugs... Something I certainly haven't encountered before (I hope its just a temporary thing). Regardless, I saw someone out fishing the channel past the Rip Ryder base, maybe Off works wonders on these little bastards?

juro
07-12-2005, 11:57 AM
You must have had a mild wind for so many no-seeums to be on you. Wading out and wind help keep them at bay.

I've found bug spray to be effective but to those little buggers even a small spot of unprotected skin is like an acre of native summer corn to us. They and greenheads are the other reason to wear long pants and sleeves when wet wading besides sun protection. I spray deet on my hat and sunflaps which seems to help keep them away.

Depending on the wind direction heading up the beach a ways on the oceanside might have helped.

Cole
07-12-2005, 01:10 PM
Yep, that's what it was Juro, wind was non-existant... Out on the flats, a gift, in by the dunes, forget about it....! :whoa: I'll be more prepared next time; I'm adding deet to my permanent fishing arsenal in my car..

Nick
07-12-2005, 03:00 PM
Hate to say it, but I've had good luck with the bug resistant clothing that some manufacturers are putting out. Mainly, my ball cap.

Paxton
07-12-2005, 05:51 PM
Cole, I was on the flats of SB yesterday and due to what had to be an act of God....the wind stopped almost completely....got about 7 bites on my forearm where the sleve vent is....sad to say that's all that bit.....had numerous strait on casts tosingles, doubles and small pods...NADA.....not even a follow....last time my presentation failed that miserably, it was 45 years ago as I attempted to ask out the prom queen in high school.......maybe I need better lookings flies! :chuckle:

juro
07-12-2005, 06:21 PM
I have received numerous reports from people who were flatly denied on the flats over the last few days... we're talking shut down, hung out to dry, poo-poo'ed, rejected, flipped off, gone hitless, door slammed shut, d e n i e d.

I CAN'T WAIT TO GET DOWN THERE!!!

This is without a doubt my favorite time, PhD time. :smokin:

That fly that you kissed in May is dissin' you now :chuckle:

I love the dog days... Everything matters.

Paxton
07-12-2005, 06:35 PM
Well Juro...if the doctor is going to be in at SB, be aware that there are many patients in the waiting room :)

bonefishmon
07-12-2005, 06:50 PM
Ron. Did you try a crab. Tan with spots. On the small, sparse Clousers, turn the hook so it points sideways instead of up. Worked for me once when everything else failed. Thought they were seeing the hook profile.

Phil

juro
07-12-2005, 07:10 PM
It's sure been a funny year. Spring never sprung, and summer slid in like a fog bank over a much-changed flatscape. What little time I've had has been great fun, with great company and good fish have come to the most memorable shots. During what is normally fall down and catch a fish time (transition between migration and the dog days) the fish have been just demanding enough to make it deeply satisfying. So I totally believe folks when they say that the dog days are doggier than most this year and the reports reinforce that. I'll indulge heartily in it in the days to come.

People think we're too picky when we gripe about the colors they are wearing or where they are wading to but it's a time when four strands of flash can be two strands too many. I need to find my daughter's gem polishing wheel to tumble the chrome off the barbell eyes again. Little tweaks are key to pulling the rabbit out of the hat but the most important thing to success this time of year IMHO is not the fly. Any one of a dozen flies in our boxes will do the deed if everything else is covered.

The good news is there seems to be a lot of fish movement into the area still, as the sighted numbers of fish have been excellent despite their increasingly dour attitudes. The particulars of our little corner of the universe through the seasons is definitely part of the endearment.

And then the waves of bunker come...

Cole
07-13-2005, 10:37 AM
Ah, so they've gotten fussy already? Crazy, I definately thought the easy days would last another couple weeks with the never-ending winter! I'm defintately agree with you Juro, the dog days have been my favorites over the last couple years of fishing the flats.

What makes em so great is, over the years, you can see yourself progressing as a flats stalker moreso than in may-june. Everything has to be absolutely perfect. My first year out at SB, I was hopeless, now I think I'm a little better (still not great, but I can see improvement). I have to say my favorite moment last year happened when I gave a cow some new lip jewelery. In my excitment over my first big take ever on the flats I forgot I was using a 6lb tippet, and popped it... :( Its just crazy how summer encounters with the big girls on the flats stick with you, even when you dont hook up (in my case most of the time hehe)...

Another bonus is..it usually seems the flats are a bit less crowded than in June, maybe that's my imagination.. I think im going to try out the stage harbor inlet again this afternoon, see what's cooking there..

Ron, it's good to hear that your seeing lots of fish up on the flats... It seems the last few times I went I wasn't seeing tons of fish..(i think it was due to the north wind..and boat traffic the day before the 4th)

Paxton
07-13-2005, 12:29 PM
Cole, I agree, the North wind really puts them down...the day I fished was a North wind, from the southway to K buoy, in blue bird conditions, I only saw 12 fish...given that I stopped repeatedly and took 4 hrs to go from point A to B...I was disappointed...then after 1 1/2 hrs into the incoming...till the time I left, I must have saw 70 fish. If I do this for 20 more years, I'm not sure that I will ever figure it out perfectly...I've learned a lot, but never enough...but that is why it is fun.
Ron
PS: Phil...I did not try a crab...next time I will, along with shrimp patterns....I was using sparse sand eels in various lengthsdown to 1/1/2 inches, they definetly didn't want those the day I went. Also tried a silverside pattern as I swore I saw a few pods of those swim by from time to time (about 4 inches)