Where are the stripers near shore? (please help) [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Where are the stripers near shore? (please help)

Massflyfishing
07-11-2005, 05:22 PM
Somebody please help.

With limited boat access i play the ??? game when the water gets warmer. Anyone know anywhere except South Beach (all the way out to the west) where I have a decent chance of hooking into a couple of fish.

i

juro
07-11-2005, 05:38 PM
A few questions:

a) where are you going to be based?

b) what kind of boat?

c) electronics?

Massflyfishing
07-11-2005, 06:13 PM
I'm sorry, I did not phrase that properly... Unfortunately I do not have a boat at this time...

juro
07-11-2005, 06:19 PM
How about (a)?

Massflyfishing
07-11-2005, 07:49 PM
I'm based in Worcester, MA (bummer huh?)

juro
07-11-2005, 09:12 PM
Sorry, I am not asking the right questions.

When you say 'way out west' what part of the Cape are you saying you wish to concentrate on?

Let's say you were in Woods Hole in which case the Knob, Falmouth Ponds, Up the east shore of Buzzards Bay, maybe as far as Wianno and Cotuit would fit the bill.

If you are saying Hyannis, well then that's not too terribly far west etc.

If the tide is high and moving, and there is bait during the morning and evening hours (or at night) there are few places where you would not have a good chance of finding some fish this time of year.

I am just trying to understand why South Beach is not within your range that's all.

Massflyfishing
07-11-2005, 11:40 PM
By the west I meant walking on South Beach all the way west to get to the cooler water where the stripers are supposedly cruising.

I love Chatham, the only problem is the 2+ hour drive is hard to make more than once in a week making exporing the area well extremely difficult due to the times I am able to make the drive.

I guess I'm looking for somewhere that requires a little less of a drive.

juro
07-12-2005, 05:51 AM
Ahh I see!

Well, SB runs north/south thus my confusion about being west. So I assume you're not willing to make the hike to the southway, which is understandable as I have not been able to make that hike yet this season either. I've been constantly interrupted by big fish sightings and hookings. But one of these days those pesky stripers will leave me alone long enough to get down there, or maybe I hope they never do until things up north improve ;) Perhaps you've been given some overly conservative advice about where the fish are etc.

Yet from Worcester, you are closer to Rhody and parts of CT than Cape Cod. Maybe you need to talk to our ambassador of shad cows Mr.Bonefishmon?

South County Rhode Island offers:

- Quonny breachway and estuary
- Weekapaug
- Napatree and Watch Hill
- Matunuck
- West Wall
- East Beach

just to name a few hot shore spots.

First and foremost get out there and explore, get some inside knowledge under the belt and long drives seem shorter and shorter.

If you are trying to minimize the commute, then Rhody seems the best place to start. Personally even though I can get to other striper waters in half the time the waters of Cape Cod call to me and the drive is trivial compared to the thrill I get in return.

Finally, some shore guides will show you spots at a budget price.

Massflyfishing
07-13-2005, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the advice Juro!

juro
07-13-2005, 11:24 AM
Extra note: The inside estuaries around the South County breachways provide excellent sport on a kayak or even a canoe. Play the tides so that it's coming is when you launch and going out when you are coming back to the ramp. (I would avoid the outside unless you are going with a partner and have taken all precautions)