No fish yet. [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: No fish yet.

Ken G McLeod
07-11-2005, 03:52 AM
Been ou four times. NO fish yet. come on steelheads, dont make me bust out my magnets.

juro
07-11-2005, 07:45 AM
Nice to hear from you Ken.

Do you think things are running late this year?

Ken G McLeod
07-12-2005, 01:18 PM
Yeah, definatly.

Whiskey Dick
07-12-2005, 08:57 PM
We have had some fish on the lower D, not big numbers but they are a little early this year. The counts over the Dam's are looking promising for this time of year. Only time will tell,tight lines,brian :)

flytyer
07-12-2005, 11:37 PM
Brian,

That is a little on the early side to have steel in the D at this time of year isn't it?

I fish the river Ken G. McLeod is fishing and I've not had as much as a pull yet this summer. I've also not heard from any of the other folks I know who regularly fish it having anything yet either. To me, this is not good because the peak of the run is normally here about now.

Skilly
07-13-2005, 07:31 PM
I got my fitst summer run last friday. Oddly enough I am still seeing a fair amount of Spring Chinook. Some are still Chrome.

Skilly

juro
07-13-2005, 08:32 PM
Hi Skilly -

How's the move working out for you? By fall I suppose your drag will be well worked.

t_richerzhagen
07-14-2005, 09:47 AM
has lproduced a steelhead and it is well above the Deschutes (a trib of the Snake). Some of the fish come early and hard, so it isn't without hope that we fish. You won't catch many, but how many does it take?

flytyer - sad to hear that the run is not doing well. I would love to wee wild c&r doing well there again.

Skilly
07-14-2005, 02:04 PM
Hi Juro

The move is working out well for us, infact the wifle and I will hit the river tonight about dusk. Ohhhh my drag has been worked on some already. I managed a few Spring Chinook on my Spey rod.

The only bad thing is our online connection is still SLOW. Today I got on at 24K
Allot of the time its 18K or less. Today it took about 30 minutes to sign on and get to this page. Hopefully it wont drop me off befor I finish typing.

But I will gladly put up for the frustrations online to be 15 minutes from the river.

Skilly

MJC
07-14-2005, 04:08 PM
I can tell you all the reason flytyer may not be catching any fish. He uses that BIG T & T and it is so powerful his fly is most likely in the brush on the far bank :lildevl:

flytyer
07-14-2005, 04:17 PM
MJC,

I love it! :chuckle:

However, I don't use the T&T 16' 11 wt thunderstick in the summer. I do use my 1510-3 T&T and a long-belly GS quite often. In fact, I had it out last evening for a workout. Alas, there was no steel to be had, or seen.

I am going to start using my new Meiser Highlander Series 16' 8/9. So I suppose you are not that far off in your assessment of my hitting the brush :D on the far bank, especially on the smaller and mid-sized rivers.

MJC
07-14-2005, 05:03 PM
I just wanted to see if you were paying attention. I to can hit the far bank as long as I fish in the creek across the road from the shop. :hihi:

flytyer
07-14-2005, 05:13 PM
MJC,

Me thinks a person would have to have one of those surf casting rods of about 20' that I've seen some folks using on the shore of the Columbia to launch 3 oz. weights :eek: 300'+ to even hope to come close to hitting your home river's far bank.

Eric
07-15-2005, 11:28 AM
Any reports from the North or East Fork Lewis, Washoughal, Kalama, Sandy, Clackamas, Siletz, or other notorius summer steelhead producers on the mid-coast?

What is the status of summer run fish up and down the coast? It seems like runs are late if not absent in my part of the world. Just as an example, Alsea Bay last year at this time was full of northern anchovy as well as other bait fish (needlefish, herring); this year nothing. Sea-run cutthroat, an Alsea staple, were also numerous, but this year they are very hard to spot. I know ocean temperatures have been high (people are catching albacore within three miles of the beach) and that may have something to do with bait distribution and salmon and steelhead heading into the estuaries.

Reports from friends on the Kalama indicate a poor season there. What's the story?

From past experience I know a small run of 2-salt fish enters the Deschutes in June. In the good ol' days, we'd stay that steelheading begins after the 4th of July. Glad to hear that some fish are in the river, but mid-to-late July used to be a very productive time on the river. The fish were very fresh and very aggressive.

Petri heil,

Eric

Ken G McLeod
07-15-2005, 11:58 PM
Hmmm. Well, i can say i caught two trout when I was out hiking yesterday, but at the cost of a PAINFULL sunburn.. But no steelheads yet... sigh....

Ken G McLeod
07-29-2005, 01:11 AM
Well, my report is this: Im starving for some steelhead. No fish as of yet.