Huge Carp, Broken 7wt . . . [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Huge Carp, Broken 7wt . . .

Quentin
07-10-2005, 06:23 PM
and I hadn't even casted yet :rolleyes: .

I stopped by the river on Saturday to check the water level. Looking down from the bridge, I spotted a large carp, probably over 20 lbs, feeding right on the bank. As I was trying to sneak down to the river bank, I put the rod together and pulled on the fly to pull the leader through the rod tip . *snap* The top section of my 4 piece 7wt snapped just above the ferrule :mad: . I was mad at myself for being so careless, but the carp was still there and I thought would feel a little better if I could at least hook the fish. I cut the line, took off the broken section and tied on the carp fly. Even without the rod tip I dropped two casts right on the fish's nose but it ignored the fly and moved down the bank a bit. When I tried to get into position for another cast I spooked the fish and it disappeared in a swirl of mud and bubbles. To make matters worse, it had started to rain while I was casting at the fish, and it became a downpour before I could pack up and get back to the car. This was not one of my better outings . . .

Q

Dble Haul
07-10-2005, 07:25 PM
Sorry to hear about your broken rod, Q.

Days like that just make the good ones seem even sweeter, I suppose.

Quentin
07-23-2005, 05:36 PM
Back in action with the 7wt -- one week and $30.85 later. Replacement was a TFO Professional Series, which I guess is the basic model. It casts well and has already seen some action with a nice carp, a few largemouths and a couple pickerel :D . Only gripe is that is doesn't have a hook holder :confused: .

Q