The next adventure... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: The next adventure...

juro
07-06-2005, 06:36 PM
In addition to the large group claves, the small group outings have proven to be a great way to pool resources and costs to experience fishing on the edge... acklins for example, the rip trips, etc.

So what's new for the coming year?

Chasing rooster on the beach on the baja is increasingly appealing... I've grown especially fond of good tequila lately, it might be a sign :)

Gaspe' - rivers like jewels, salmon like silver submarines and a deep beauty like few places on earth. I am addicted.

Harkers this fall... so close, and the airfares so cheap! Tales of broken rods and lost lines... I want to try this.

Smithers BC, the steelhead mecca. Fly in, rent a car and fish. Worth packing my pontoon boat for this one. Spey rods, free flowing rivers and wild steelhead.

South American seatrout... the fish are growing bigger and stronger each season, if that's possible - and 30 pound giants are not impossible!

Stalking reds on the gulf on the cheap... now that's bang for the buck!

What are your thoughts?

teflon_jones
07-07-2005, 04:11 PM
I just got back from my one big trip of the year, 5 days in northern Maine fishing for smallmouth and salmon.

I'll be in the Cape on vacation the last week of July, so there will be a lot of striper fishing going on then! It won't be a fishing-focused trip, just a general vacation.

After that, my wife and I are expecting our first child in December so there won't be any more big trips since we're trying to save up some money. So my fishing for the rest of the year will just be day trips.

Dble Haul
07-07-2005, 04:18 PM
There's always peacock bass and payara in the Amazon. l've been looking into this over the past few months, and it's cheaper than you might think.

Adrian
07-08-2005, 09:24 AM
I have a 'hankering' to return to the West of Ireland to fish a team of three from a sweet drifting clinker-built boat under leaden grey skies and a stiff breeze. The explosion of a truly wild brown plus the occaisional Atlantic Salmon takes a bit of beating. Fifteen years later the memories are still vivid.

Roosters in Baja with Dos Equis and a shot of Reposada Hornitos sounds pretty good too :smokin:

juro
07-08-2005, 01:05 PM
My brother-in-law brought a bottle of aņejo pure agave to the holiday bbq... a little salt, a lime and smooooth. I suddenly realized what a waste marguaritas are. All that tutti frutti stuff hiding the essence.

Ireland sounds fascinating - but roosters are sounding very good...

Philster
07-08-2005, 05:54 PM
I suddenly realized what a waste marguaritas are. All that tutti frutti stuff hiding the essence...

Juro, I know a place on the east cape where a marguarita consistes of the juice of 3 small limones (tiny mative limes with an amazing flavor) and about 5 ounces of "tokillya" all for about $4.50 Amurikan. In the words of Trond Syrstad "It is better to "PONG!" take it directly"