St. Petersburg FLA help [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: St. Petersburg FLA help

SMR
07-06-2005, 02:21 PM
hello all:

i was hoping some of you may be able to point me in the right direction for a DYI flats wade in the St.Pete's/Clearwater area during the end of August, and what i may expect gamefish wise?

t.i.a.

juro
07-06-2005, 06:26 PM
I've heard from friends that the snook, reds, 'trout' and tarpon fishing is great. Night fishing for snook along lighted docks is a good way to sneak some time in if you're there on business or family vacation.

I have some friends I haven't talked to in a while down there, will see what they say.

SteelBoneguy
07-07-2005, 09:56 AM
Check out honeymoon island. You should easily find the island doing a search. Tons of shoreline to fish on both sides of the island, on one side of the island its more rocky and beach like, the other side flats and mangroves. I'm bad w/ directions but as you drive into the park (only one way to enter or leave) the right side has more flats. All kinds of fish to catch: speck trout, snook, cobia, redfish, jacks, smaller sharks if you want. But do becareful b/c two locals who wade fish the flats a lot told me big bulls sharks do come in the area from time to time :eek: A Yak would really help get you into some very fishy lookiing spots. There are places to rent them in the area.

SMR
07-10-2005, 09:00 AM
Thank you Juro & SB.

funny you mention Honeymoon Isle, as i had a friend who used to live there point me towards there recently. A yak would be nice, but i don't think it neccassary as i'm trying to sneak in a few days while on vacation w/my wife :wink:

thanks again gentlemen, appreciate the tips :smokin:

Capt. Mel Simpson
07-14-2005, 01:05 PM
SMR,

Right now all the beaches are pretty much wiped out because of the redtide . The Tarpon fishing will be over by then but there is still some very good redfish and snook wading up in Old tampa Bay around 4th street and Weadon Island. Right now I'm only night fishing.

You'll need to start early in the morning because of the afternoon lightening storms this time of the year.

You can email me for more info until the 28th of this month, (I will be in the North West for a month). Unfortunatly there are no real good fly shops in the whole of Tampa Bay that you could get good info from so feel free to ask.

Mel