Fred Arbona Flies [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Fred Arbona Flies

bjthebrown
07-06-2005, 03:39 AM
I was recently given a boxed collection of 19 original Fred Arbona flies that were tied in 1982. Does anybody know the value of something like this?

bjthebrown
07-06-2005, 02:26 PM
Are you telling me, that NONE of you have any idea what this might be worth?

chromer
07-06-2005, 03:02 PM
We tie our own :smokin:

bjthebrown
07-06-2005, 03:33 PM
They're antiques, genius... lol
I tie my own too. I own B's Flies.

flytyer
07-06-2005, 03:44 PM
Just like any flies tied by any tyer, well-known or not well-known, they are worth what someone will pay for them. Fred Arbona was mainly a trout fisherman and trout flies as a group have never really had much collector value, unless they are true antiques tied by the likes of Dan Cahill, Reuben Cross, or Halford.

I hate to break this to you, but flies tied in 1982 are not antiques anymore than a fly rod or a car built in 1982 is an antique.

glore
07-06-2005, 04:19 PM
Flies such as those you describe may not be valuable antiques -- yet -- but someday they will have more value as colectibles than they have as flies to fling at unsuspecting trout. I've enjoyed having a select and ecclectic collection of flies mounted in a shadow box. A shadow box (with hinged front cover) very much like the one I used to make the presentation case is available from Pottery Barn. It's not too expensive either. The Art of fly tying is becoming more and more popular.

SSPey
07-06-2005, 05:50 PM
I have a signed/dedicated copy of "Trout, Mayflies and the Angler" by Fred Arbona. I think this book it is one of the best ever for combining practical information on mayfly behavior with related fishing tactics (the isonychia section alone is worth the price of admission). This book doesn't get the recognition that it deserves because Fred was never a real media darling. I also have some good stories about Fred Arbona, Sr. losing a bamboo rod made by Fred Jr, found onstream and returned to Fred Sr by my brother, that in my mind accompany the signed book. So, my signed book has a very very high value .... to me.

if you really want to know the public dollar value of your flies, put it on eBay with an outrageously high reserve. You'll pay a small fee for the knowledge

ashbourn
07-06-2005, 10:53 PM
ebay is not a good place to sell flies. Auction are some event are the best.