Bluegill [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Bluegill

FlyFishZak
07-04-2005, 06:56 PM
I would like to catch some bluegill on my fly pole, but all I catch is warmouth. I am not complaining about catching them, but there are only a few in the pond. The fact that I am only catching warmouths is the problem. I do not know why I am not catching bluegill. I am using an Adams fly on a size 10 hook. Is this too big for bluegill? I do not know why I cannot catch the bluegill, since there are hundreds in the pond. Thanks

Dble Haul
07-04-2005, 09:43 PM
I would switch from the dry fly and go to a small popper, preferably one with rubber legs. The commotion of a popper seems to attract more bluegills than a standard dry fly.

baldmountain
07-05-2005, 07:26 AM
Try one of these.

http://www.danica.com/flytier/sdavenport/rubber_legged_dragon.htm

I usually use a little black maribou for the tail. I catch bluegills hand over fist on this thing.

(I was going to attach an image from the danica website but then remembered the copyright notice. Oops.)

teflon_jones
07-05-2005, 01:58 PM
What the heck is a warmouth? :confused:

Dble Haul
07-05-2005, 02:25 PM
Think rock bass, but with a few differences and slightly bigger. :wink:

Bassbugger
07-12-2005, 07:59 PM
A warmouth is a very colorful member of the sunfish family. Alabama state record, all tackle is 1 pound 9 oz. Shaped like a largemouth, with blue lightning stripes and an orange belly and pectoral fins. At times may have a greenish hue. Has a large mouth in relation to body size. Likes small popping bugs. Seems to like rocky banks. When they first hit, sounds like a 2 pound bass. Very little fight to this fellow.

teflon_jones
07-14-2005, 09:37 AM
Thanks Juro and Bassbugger for the description... :)

Dble Haul
07-14-2005, 10:03 AM
I think that's the first time I've ever been confused with Juro. :hihi:

He's a bit shorter and older than me. He also tends to cast a flyline a lot better. :wink:

juro
07-14-2005, 10:55 AM
He's a bit shorter and older than me. He also tends to cast a flyline a lot better. :wink:

Us short, old farts are afraid we'd never get any action if we couldn't cast so we work very hard at it :hihi:

bluegillbob
07-15-2005, 09:36 PM
You want to connect with the bluegills? Try small yellow poppers (Accardo's "bluegill special"; Wal-Mart sells them) and olive or black wooly buggers. I use these and I usually score on bluegills with these! :)

teflon_jones
07-16-2005, 08:13 AM
I think that's the first time I've ever been confused with Juro. :hihi:

Sorry, my eyesight is going in my old age... Yeah that's it... :smokin: