The downside of one rod... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: The downside of one rod...

DaveTheFisher
07-04-2005, 09:49 AM
Hey guys,

I am pretty knew to the world of fly fishing, but I have a feeling that its only going to be the start of a lifelong hobby.

Anyways at this point in time I only have enough money to buy one rod and reel and I was thinking of going with TFO for both. However, I dont know what weight to buy that would sort of be an all around weight. Im only going to be fishing some smallmouht bass and mainly trout.

I was also wondering what would the downside be to only one rod like say an 8 weight? Because I know that lots of fishers have like 3 diff rods but fish around the same size fish...

Thanks for your input,
-Dave W.

baldmountain
07-04-2005, 10:29 AM
How big are the smallmouths? If they aren't too big then a 4 wt rod would work really well for both.

Using a single rod for both is a compromise. If you are dragging heavy bass out of weed beds a 4 wt is way too light. On the otherhand an 8 wt will make it hard to delicately present dry flies to trout. A 5 or 6wt might be an acceptable compromise...

The TFO is a decent rod. I have a 2 hander and really like it. I'm considering a 9 wt for Saltwater use.

One other thing to consider. Try you local fly shop. Look for last years model rod. Sometimes they are discounted. I managed to get a Scott 4 wt rod, a Scientific Anglers Concept 2 fly reel and a RIO "Selective Trout" line for under $225.

By the way. I use that 4 wt rod for bass as well as trout. Works great as long as I don't have to drag a big bass out of the weeds or throw a BIG bass bug. (It's a little light to throw bass bugs. It throws a size 8 streamer pretty good though.)

MJC
07-04-2005, 11:21 AM
I would buy a 9'-6wt. The TFO products are great.

flytyer
07-05-2005, 06:50 PM
Like MJC, I'd go with a 9'-10' 6 wt.

I lived in Pennsylvania until I was 25 and caught a lot of smallmouth on a 9' 6wt, including in the very large Susquahanna River (it is a mile across). A 6 wt easily handle smallmouth up to 5 lbs.

bjthebrown
07-06-2005, 04:44 AM
I personally am fond of my 5 weight 8" 6' (a 9' would be a bit more all purpose), over-lined with a 6 weight. I fish for bass, trout, and an assortment of other local species, and have found it to be quite satisfactory.

teflon_jones
07-06-2005, 08:50 AM
I'd get a 5 or 6 weight 8'6 or 9' rod. Find a fly shop in your area and cast a bunch and find something that's comfortable. That's the most important thing. If you decide on a 5 wt, make sure it's not a full flex rod. You'll want something with a bit more backbone for those smallmouth, and especially if you start using it for largemouth in and around weeds. If you plan on fishing small streams a lot, I'd go for the 8'6 instead of the 9'. If you plan on focusing more on rivers, ponds, and lakes, I'd go with the 9'.

ashbourn
07-06-2005, 11:56 PM
If you do plan on fishing for some bass a faster action will make casting some of the bigger flies or popers. 9' 5 or 6 wt is a good AP rod.