SB report 6/25 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: SB report 6/25

polareyez
06-26-2005, 09:18 AM
Went to SB with Paxton. Nice sunny skies, we could see the fish coming from quire a distance. HOWEVER, with wind gusts up to 25mph, casting was a little tricky. There are blues and stripers up on the flats. I decorated quite a few blues again today but, didn't want to switch to wire due to the stripers.

I came real close to losing a striper to a seal. If the striper hadn't veered towards Paxton I think the seal would have caught it. The seals seem to be coming in closer and closer, like they've lost their fear of humans. They're not just on the edges of the flats but up on the flats. As much as a nuisance as the seals are becoming, it seemed that every time a seal showed up near us we had a shot a some stripers.

We both had shots at definite keepers so the big ones are showing up. I had a "textbook" head on shot at real big one that was ignored. I retrrieved my line and got a quartering shot with the same results. It sure got the adrenalin flowing...

While we didn't see huge numbers of fish we saw mopre than enough to keep it interesting throughout the day.

FishHawk
06-27-2005, 05:25 AM
Let the Summer Games begin. For the next two months it will be the spooky summer time fishing on the Flats. FishHawk

Slowbone
06-27-2005, 01:21 PM
I am sorry to report the loss of a nice keeper size striper to one of those seals this weekend. The striper was on the flat but about 10-15ft from the edge... and that seal just torpedo in from the edge without warning. Then the hairy beast peeled out my line in seconds as he carried his lunch back to the channel. Anyone have a seal fly pattern, and what kind of tippet would you recommend for those seals? ;)