Popham Father's Day Bonanza!! 6/18 + 19 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Popham Father's Day Bonanza!! 6/18 + 19

Chris
06-24-2005, 08:56 AM
Well I had intended to post this sooner but you all know how it goes sometimes...

Last Saturday and Sunday were fantastic at Fort Popham. The tide was right and the fish were in. All were fat and strong from the foraging they did on the way down east. Even the shorts, 16" - 20" fish were strong. They were surprisingly small for the fight. Most of our 2 dozen or so caught on Saturday were in the 24" - 28" range. The weather Saturday was stellar. Overcast all day with virtually no wind which kept the fish in close and bold. I caught one 32" that gave on hell of a fight. Between the rip of the outgoing Kennebec and the weight the fish had put on since the dinks I was catching in Kennbunkport two weeks ago these were totally different battles.

Sunday was a bit slower- more blue bird, a bit of SE wind but we managed about 6 fish each from the crack of dawn until about 9 am. I hit the jackpot with an extremely fat 36" that weighed in at about 20#, nearly twice the weight of the one I got oceanside last trip to Chatham. Sorry no pix this time. Great way to spend my fathers day furlough.

So it is finally on here in Maine.