What would it take?

Location? Best time of year?

Who's interested?

Dave17
06-25-2005, 06:12 PM
Hhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :lildevl:

Eddie
06-25-2005, 06:17 PM
East Cape of Baja in April/May. Los Arenas.

petevicar
06-26-2005, 04:23 AM
If its flats fishing I am extremely interested.

Pete

Eddie
06-26-2005, 07:51 PM
Beach fishing and boat fishing.

Adrian
06-27-2005, 02:18 AM
East Cape sounds good - miles of open beach to explore! :smokin:

Philster
07-02-2005, 07:33 PM
East Cape of Baja in April/May. Los Arenas.

Las arenas is bitchin, super bitchin, but Punta Colorada, while a tad skeevie brings your cost WAY down with possibly more shots because there is Mo' betta beach.

However, for random shots at everything from Roosters to Wahoo (and yellowfin, and dorado, and sails, and the beast known as Pez Fuerte or Amberjack), Las Arenas is the place where...

If there was somebody else who was less interested in Roosters (been there, done that, gets old with too much sittin' on your hands time), and more interested in the other species available at the same time who wanted to share a boat, I'd be down.

Eddie, has anything happened since they redid the runway at Las Arenas? At the time they had "investors" who wanted to kick out the smelly fisherman and bring in the well healed tanned rested and ready windsurfers and jet skiers and club paradisio types. Those are private roads from the highway to the beach through the salt ponds. Do you have any word?

Tin Pusher
09-03-2005, 07:13 PM
Baja is on my list of places to go. Did the Carribean this spring and am planning my next adventure now. Who wants to go? Where? When?

I'm in! Sign me up. :)

juro
09-03-2005, 07:56 PM
I think we have enough for a classic Forum excursion into the wild unknown... sounds like spring after the wild steelhead season and before the stripers :smokin:

Tin Pusher
09-03-2005, 08:27 PM
Where you thinking Juro? La Paz? Punta Colorado? Las Arenas? Tijuana? :smokin:

Last time I was in Mexico I came home and sat on the toilet for a week. If the fishing is good it would be worth it. Would the plan be a simple hotel or All-Inclusive? Use guides or go it alone?

juro
09-03-2005, 08:42 PM
The plans are up for discussion, whatever works. We tend to be able to pull things together fairly well and ad lib the rest.

As far as Montezuma's revenge - bottled water and tequila. Maybe a good reason to include creature comforts (near semi-tourist area) where the fishing is just as accomodating.

We did a great trip to Acklins last winter and the water was among the highlights - they put a reverse osmosis system in 3mos before our arrival and we enjoyed great tasting water and ice throughout our stay, didn't hear of any dissentary among the whole group in fact we ate like kings too.

Start by putting forth information about optional locations / venues, then forming a basis of our requirements. Make contacts and take a leap of faith - we've been either lucky or good so far :cool:

Tin Pusher
09-03-2005, 08:46 PM
Sounds good. I will standby and watch this thread for information as it becomes available. Might even start tying the odd fly. Can you recommend any web sites or books to assist in my preparation?

juro
09-03-2005, 09:22 PM
I think we ought to begin by talking to Bob Veverka, who provided this awesome article in our Destinations section...
Bob's Baja Article (http://www.flyfishingforum.com/expertise/veverka2/BAJA.htm)

It seems that the 'buzz' is mostly from Baja or Costa Rica... this would be a budget trip so DIY / beach access is key. I agree that the rooster is the highlight species but all coastal bruisers are desireable and an occasional guided excursion to break up our DIY action would be sensible.

Don't wait for me - dig up what you can and post.

Tin Pusher
09-03-2005, 10:18 PM
I have no prejudice towards any species we target. On my first bonefish trip I had the most fun casting poppers to baracuda. I have read Bob's article and it is excellent. Time to start shopping for a 12wt. :)

n1gdo
09-04-2005, 02:58 PM
I would also like to be included in a Baja trip !

I went on the last Acklins trip and had a great time... I know we can do it.

jimS
09-04-2005, 03:31 PM
after reading Ververka's tale on the Baja. Please keep me in the loop.

Tin Pusher
09-04-2005, 03:41 PM
How about we start by talking about when, where and how long.

I am good for Nov. through to June but April to June would be best for me. When is prime fishing?

Never been there so I will leave the where up to others. I have read good things about La Paz and the coast to the SE. Punta Colorado or Las Arenas? However I have read that the Las Arenas hotel is out of business.

I will be going for at least 7 days and at the most 2 weeks.

wrke
09-04-2005, 04:07 PM
Many years ago (1986?) a friend and I drove the length of Baja in a diesel VW camper (what an adventure!) fishing along the way to Cabo San Lucas. I think our best fishing was out of Mulege where we caught both roosterfish and dorado. We fished by wading, but our best fishing was when we found locals who would take us out in pangas. We were there in late September, early Oct. As I remember it, summer is the best time (thru Sept) for roosters. I'd love to do it again . . . so much to fish, so little time.

n1gdo
09-04-2005, 05:43 PM
I just did a google of
baja shore fishing...

I will gather some info and see what they have to say about seasons etc..

If a few of us do similar searches I am sure we can come up with a
plan

n1gdo
09-04-2005, 06:17 PM
BAJA Fishing Season

Species Season Peak Times
Amberjack June - Oct Aug
Dorado May - Nov July / Sept
Grouper April - Nov May / Oct
Jack Crevalle April - Nov May / Oct
Marlin Blue May - Nov July / Sept
Marlin Black July - Oct Aug / Sept
Marlin Striped April - Dec June / Oct
Roosterfish April - Dec June / Oct
Sailfish May - Dec July / Sept
Snapper Red March - Dec July / Oct
Tuna Yellow Fin April - Dec June / Oct
Wahoo June - Dec July / Sept
Yellowtail Jan - April March

Itinerary

10 - Days / 9- Nights / 6 - Days Full Fishing

n1gdo
09-04-2005, 06:19 PM
BAJA Fishing Season

Species Season Peak Times
Amberjack June - Oct Aug
Dorado May - Nov July / Sept
Grouper April - Nov May / Oct
Jack Crevalle April - Nov May / Oct
Marlin Blue May - Nov July / Sept
Marlin Black July - Oct Aug / Sept
Marlin Striped April - Dec June / Oct
Roosterfish April - Dec June / Oct
Sailfish May - Dec July / Sept
Snapper Red March - Dec July / Oct
Tuna Yellow Fin April - Dec June / Oct
Wahoo June - Dec July / Sept
Yellowtail Jan - April March

I tried to make this neater but kept failing...you should be able to figure it out

Tin Pusher
09-05-2005, 11:39 AM
Looks like April, May and June are within the peak period for the maximum number of species. Anyone of those 3 months would be fine with me. Looks like the "2006 Spring Corona Clave" is starting to take shape. :cool:

Tin Pusher
09-08-2005, 01:05 AM
Just picked up a good book today called "Guide To Fly Fishing Southern Baja" by Gary Graham. It gives a flyfishing rating to 23 areas in the southern half of Baja.

There was a 4 way tie for top spot between:

Bahia de los Muertos
Buena Vista & Los Barriles
La Ventana to El Sargento
Las Arenas

According to the book only Buena Vista & Los Barriles had accomodations the others you had to travel up to 45 min. from La Paz. That is assuming the reports of the closing of the hotel in Las Arenas are true.

Tin Pusher
10-21-2005, 09:23 AM
Hey Juro are we going to do this thing? I would hate to see it sink to the bottom of the forum and be forgotten. My vacation selection starts in December and I want to know if and when. Lets go boys, I am pumped. :Eyecrazy:

petevicar
10-24-2005, 10:16 AM
I am also very interested in this trip and would like to try to plan it.

Pete

Dave17
10-24-2005, 10:51 AM
I have the OK from the Mrs. to sneak away for a week so I'm watching this very closely...........

Tin Pusher
10-30-2005, 09:23 AM
Lets start by narrowing it down to the peak months. From what I have read (no actual experience in Baja) it is best in April, May and June. If that works for everyone (or most) we can then narrow it down further.

juro
10-30-2005, 10:03 AM
I'd like to back up one level further just to make sure we are top-down in thinking...

what are the top three destinations?

Baja, Costa Rica, ?

Costa Rica is running about $503 r/t air from Boston...
Cabo San Lucas around $366!
(March time frame)

With lodging being more established and likely less prestigous the Baja option would likely be cheaper although there may be other problems associated with Mexico. Some of the places to stay in C.R. looked damn nice and I am sure we'd have less to worry about all-around there.

Most research I've done so far puts the best angling during the summer months on the east cape. Cabo seems like Oct-Nov-Dec if we want it to be an escape from cold crappy weather up north.

Eddie
11-09-2005, 05:02 PM
juro, give me a call for some contact info.

Tin Pusher
12-12-2005, 01:50 AM
So Costa Rica or Baja? I vote Baja but would consider Costa Rica.

juro
12-12-2005, 06:07 AM
Baja seems the easier route all around, both in terms of cost and convenience.

One down side is that the peak season there seems to be in early summer. That could pose a problem for me as I am much more likely to be able to sneak off during the winter months, not to mention more interested at that time of year.

Do roosters peak in summer everywhere or just there?

cheakamus
12-17-2005, 12:38 AM
Hi there fellas ,this is my first post. yee haw. I fished baja for a month in may of 2003. From what I gathered It was too early in the Las arenas area and the roosters and bait wouldn't be happening till june. Farther south however we did spot a few in San Jose del Cabo but never hooked up. From what I have learned since my trip, I told myself I would only go back in June or October. June is stinking hot. January 10th I am heading to San Agustinillo, in Oaxaca Mexico for three weeks. From what I have read I feel that the fishing might be better being farther south.
<non-sponsor link removed - pls read agreement again> I am super stoked about going there and would be interested if anyone knows more about this spot.

Cheers, g.

Tin Pusher
02-07-2006, 11:24 PM
Don't let the dream die.:( We need someone experience to take the reigns. Lead and we will follow, build it at they will come, etc.........
I am seriously looking at Oct. or Nov. now but still open for the spring if something surfaces here.

juro
02-08-2006, 02:36 PM
Yes you are right... late fall sounds like it might work.

The fact that June is primetime makes it difficult to go the Mexico route. I am sure there is somewhere in the world where off season roosters are the venue.

MarkS
02-08-2006, 02:37 PM
Hey Guys,

I was at Las Arenas with Bob and Mrs. V for a week in May several years back.

That resort is no longer open...I believe it converted to a condo system for private investors...but the fishing fleet is still there....does mean a 45 minute van ride from La Paz, and cuts down on the all afternoon beach fishing, which could be really good.....I VIVIDLY recall a HUGE school of 5lb squid CHURNING through the water and racing up the beach....initially weren't sure what we were watching, and cast into the melee figuring they were gamefish of some sort....

This mini-maelstrom was promptly followed by a pack of ENORMOUS amberjacks pushing HUGE bow-waves as they raced through the 3 foot water inhaling the squids........We did not bother casting our 8-wts, in large part because our lower jaws were resting on the sand.

Other than that, I personally had daily shots at roosters (early May), including the assortment of other local bruisers. That said...later is still better for numbers of roosters, as well as for Dorado.

Check out posts (with pictures!!!) of Jay murakoshi's estimated 80lb Rooster on either his own web-site or that of Kiene's fly shop. This was caught near Las Arenas...on an 8-wt!!

All that said for my next trip, I would choose to go somewhere where I had access to the beach vey regularly....Punta Colorado would be high on my list....and some of the other East Cape venues would rank highly as well.

My wife and I did some beach fishing at Punta Arenas (not the same as Las Arenas) but listed in the Gary Graham book, as well. And we had very good fishing here in March for big jacks...didn't see roosters.

Hope this helps...should be an awesome trip.

mark

juro
02-08-2006, 02:48 PM
Costa Rica's north pacific has a Nov-March Rooster fishery and South Pacific region has a year-round rooster fishery. Also very affordable flights when they run specials.

Sounds like lodging and the sense of adventure will be pure and unadulterated - a true experience in DIY

http://www.paulglassman.com/cr12.htm

The flights are running about $450-500 r/t BOS to SJO Costa Rica, and to get the Punta Jiminez for instance about $147 r/t from the International airport.

Might not need to go that remote but that would put us into the thick of it.

Sounds like the tarpon fishing is nuts too.

nevada caster
02-08-2006, 09:03 PM
There has been considerable discussion about the DIY possibilities in this area on Dan Bantons's site. Unfortunately much of may have been lost when they lost part of the data base. Most of the discussion has been "where can I go fishing" and not "where can I go fishing for Rooosters?". However it still might be worth checking.

Tin Pusher
02-25-2006, 08:21 PM
I have no problem with Costa Rica at all. Sounds like an adventure. Who else is serious about this fall? Who votes for Baja and who votes for Costa Rica?

Tin Pusher
11-10-2006, 04:24 PM
This is the Semi-Annual Bump.:hihi:

For those that need a little inspiration check this out.
http://www.drakemag.com/pages/film_2006/clip_08_qt.shtml

juro
11-11-2006, 06:08 AM
circumstances beyond my control have put my dreams of the rooster chase on hold - but you can count on me being on the virgin mission though, when the time is right

rooster
11-11-2006, 12:46 PM
Juro,
I have fished the baja a few times, Walt has fished it a bunch...,
I like the Rancho Leanordo area. Decent place to stay, food is good, guides are decent and it is not expensive. Punta Colorado and Buena Vista are also good, if you are wanting to stay on the Sea of Cortez side, all are about an hour, or so, north of the Los Cabos Airport.
If folks are wanting to stay in the Cabo San Lucas area there is a good guide, who specializes in surf/shore fishing. Walt has used him several times and I tried to use him a few weeks ago (but he was on a short vacation). His name is Steve (Stephan) Jansen, he is a Dutch, ex-pat, who lives in Cabo. He operates the Stephan Jansen Surf Fishing and Tackle Store in Cabo San Lucas. He is just down the street from Minervas Tackle Shop (a great tackle shop in Cabo). Everyone knows where Minervas is and she can direct you to Steve's place. He primarily guides very early in the morning then opens his tackle shop about 11:00 am, or so. He makes a lure that is quite effective- the Cabo Killer. He will take spin or fly fisherman to the beaches that are fishing well and costs about $80 ?, a morning. Walt has had great luck with him.
My experience with the guides in Cabo and the East Cape are that they are all "OK" with flyfisherman, but I would alway pack a spinning rod, to increase my chances for fish. This is a personal decision.
I have attached the link to an old article about Steve, above. (contact rooster for link, removed)
Wintertime can be good, but it seems that fishing is either very good or very bad, this can vary from week to week. Pangas and super pangas (18-22' wooden boats) with a "motor operator" (I wouldn't call them "flyfishing guides") can generally get you into some fish and cost about $100 bucks per rod with 2 rods per boat.
I know there are other "shore guides" than Steve, but cannot vouch for them.
The accomodations in Cabo San Lucas are pretty good and some bargains can be found, for those who want to rent houses or condos. It has grown up alot in the past couple years, so folks have to decide "what type of vacation" they are looking for. Either one, East Cape or Cabo San Lucas would be fun and a nice break from your New England winters.
I may need to pass on this years trip, as I am going to be moving to NC this winter.
Hope this helps. I am heading to Iowa tomorrow (finally drew the archery buck tag!) for a week with some buddies, but will check this post in a week or so, in case folks have some questions.
Cheers,
DK:lildevl:

Adrian
11-11-2006, 03:10 PM
Wife has decided we're going to Puerta Vallarta in March so that will be as close as I'll get next year.

I really enjoyed Punta Colorada, even though the roosters had 'flown the coup' (early October). According to our Panguero, Alonso, "Pez Gallos all leaving September 12th" :hihi:

Cabo San Lucas has probably changed a lot since I was there but hopefully they're still serving 'bucket size' margaritas.

neastfly
11-30-2006, 09:18 AM
This is the Semi-Annual Bump.:hihi:

For those that need a little inspiration check this out.
http://www.drakemag.com/pages/film_2006/clip_08_qt.shtml

Great video! That sums up my roosterfish experiences perfectly.... Basically running around the beach with a ten weight. Though there is a lot of frustration for the shore bound angler, it really isn't that bad - you are in paradise after all! I'm headed back down to Costa Rica in three weeks. I might take along the two-hander this time around.

Between the surfing and the fishing, I'm basically wet for two weeks. I can't wait!

juro
11-30-2006, 10:01 AM
That video saddens me despite being exhilarating...

it's like the potential of my own virgin joy of discovery (as seen in the first posts) was plucked from my brain and lived out by others - deservedly, but by others nonetheless. It won't be quite as pure for me now, it will be like having to copy them so I'll have to find another such exploit and do this anyway ;)

However I would do things quite differently, having been among the first few anglers to decipher the spring migratory sight fishery here on our beaches, several years before the first spring conclave when there were only a few of us out there all on a first-name basis.

Well actually spring clave alumni class of 2005 and 2006 pretty much all know a thing or two about running beaches that would translate well into this fishery.

It will happen tinpusher!

neastfly
11-30-2006, 12:19 PM
[QUOTE=juro]That video saddens me despite being exhilarating...

it's like the potential of my own virgin joy of discovery (as seen in the first posts) was plucked from my brain and lived out by others - deservedly, but by others nonetheless. It won't be quite as pure for me now, it will be like having to copy them so I'll have to find another such exploit and do this anyway ;)

QUOTE]

"Pura Vida," would be the response of a rural Costa Rican. With a pure, clean, laid-back lifetyle you are less likely to sweat the details. This is perhaps why they live longer than we do in the States. Which makes me wonder... What effect does fly fishing have on one's lifespan? Lengthen or shorten?

Any way...

There is still plenty of room to lay fresh tracks in rooster country (especially with a fly rod). Thousands of miles of coastline, much of it protected by jungle. Beaches only represent part of the total equation. Rocks, reef, and other submarine structures right inshore. Enough fishy water to seriously contemplate moving down there.

Roosterfish clave in Nicaragua?

Tin Pusher
11-30-2006, 01:49 PM
Nicaragua? Stop teasing me neastfly.:tsk_tsk:

Juro I am just sitting here planning and waiting patiently. :smokin:

juro
11-30-2006, 02:20 PM
if nicaragua i would want to spend time building homes (habitat humanity etc) then the rest of the time on the beaches

good karma

neastfly
11-30-2006, 05:00 PM
Juro, that's a great idea...

Adrian
12-01-2006, 05:23 AM
...just need to find those lottery numbers :)

neastfly
12-29-2006, 06:34 AM
I returned two days ago from a great trip to Costa Rica. Though I traveled with my wife's family and the focus was the surf and not the fish, I did manage to spend a little bit of time fishing (~4-5 hours over 11 days --- the surfing was on when the fishing was best). While I was unable to land a rooster, I did hook into three (we landed snook and some type of snapper). A combination of rocks, surf, and "angler error" were to blame. I would estimate the fish in the 10-15lb range. My brother-in-law, who also fly fishes was into one that was much bigger but made quick work of him and the 35# leader along some lava rock. Though I was dissapointed not to land one on this trip, I was encouraged because everyone we came in contact with said we would never see a rooster, let alone hook one with our fly rods.

Other trip highlights:surfing, giant leatherback turtles, beaches, surfing, weather, food, and did I mention the waves were good?

Photo: Though my brother-in-law lost the fish of the trip, he did manage to catch a ton of memorable waves.

JWW
12-29-2006, 08:18 PM
Check out this website with 5 min flyfishing videos. Film #8 is about roosterfishing.

Tin Pusher
01-07-2007, 04:16 PM
JWW, I do not see the link? Is it the same video as I posted in this thread on Nov.10?

JWW
01-07-2007, 05:46 PM
Yeah, sorry about that. I did not realize the link had already been posted.

Tin Pusher
01-08-2007, 09:22 AM
No appology needed. Great video.