cow anyone? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: cow anyone?

sean
06-22-2005, 02:21 PM
Thinking of floating it this sunday...Anybody interested?

-sean

juro
06-22-2005, 03:22 PM
YES!

Oh man would that ever make my day. I've got the jones for summer steel already.

Willie Gunn
06-22-2005, 03:44 PM
Should the question not be Beef anybody?

Even in America you must eat beef steaks not cow steaks even if you do hold your utensils(knife and fork) in the wrong hands.

Malcolm

baldmountain
06-22-2005, 05:59 PM
YES!

Oh man would that ever make my day. I've got the jones for summer steel already.

You'll have to settle for some stripers. :D

Philster
06-22-2005, 06:20 PM
Thinking of floating it this sunday...Anybody interested?

-sean

You still running the watermaster? My Kodiak is lonely... What were you thinking? I can't pull dark to dark. I'm going to need some decompression after saturday night. My 5 year old's dance recital :Eyecrazy:

sean
06-22-2005, 06:59 PM
Yep was planning on using the watermaster. The float from blue to mission aint that long, 5-6 hours, and I will be down there anyway visiting the folks.

Doubt I will do the crack of dawn thing and wait for the sleds to clear out a little. Thinking of starting around 9 and finishing by 4. Gotta be back in Seattle by 8 to pick up my wife from the airport.

-sean

Philster
06-22-2005, 07:06 PM
Yep was planning on using the watermaster. The float from blue to mission aint that long, 5-6 hours, and I will be down there anyway visiting the folks.

Doubt I will do the crack of dawn thing and wait for the sleds to clear out a little. Thinking of starting around 9 and finishing by 4. Gotta be back in Seattle by 8 to pick up my wife from the airport.

-sean

Cool, bankers hours, or should I say Stay At Home Dad of 2 hours :D
Well, I'm down then if you want to. Haven't fished it yet so the meet directions need to be pretty specific. How many hours from the airport would you guess in the morning? Wouldn't want to be late.

sinktip
06-22-2005, 07:07 PM
The Cow huh? Is that the only river big enough for that new 16' toy of yours? :lildevl:

sean
06-22-2005, 07:16 PM
The Cow huh? Is that the only river big enough for that new 16' toy of yours?

You are correct sir :smokin: Wait till you try it with the carron long belly. I might need to start fishing the columbia main stem.

Phlister,

It is about 2 hours from the airport. You can do it in less if traffic is moving.

Here is the directions:

http://www.ci.tacoma.wa.us/power/parksandpower/fish_wildlife/cowlitz/fishery/trout_hatchery.htm

taking from the page:

To get to Barrier Dam boat launch from Interstate 5, take State Highway 12 east to the community of Silver Creek. Turn right (south) on to Gershick Road. At the end of the road turn left on to Spencer Road and follow the road as it bends to the right. Drive straight past the salmon hatchery to the Barrier Dam boat launch and fishing area.

To get to the Blue Creek boat launch from Interstate 5, take State Highway 12 east to the community of Ethel. Turn right (south) on to Tucker Road. Tucker Road bends to the right where it meets Classe Road at a Y. Go straight on to Classe Road. At the end of the road turn left on to Spencer Road. Watch for the signs directing you to turn right to go to the trout hatchery and to the Blue Creek boat launch.

My cell is 206-427-4310 if there are any problems. Will be there at 9.

-sean

juro
06-22-2005, 07:37 PM
Philster -

Get to Blue at dawn and make a few runs through the pool. You might be smiling by the time 9a rolls around. :cool:

flytyer
06-22-2005, 07:46 PM
Sinktip,

Ah the line control one has with a 16'er is well worth the extra length. Besides, they make an even better lightning rod than those wee 14' and 15' rods of yours in this weather we have been having the last few days.

Philster
06-22-2005, 08:15 PM
Philster -

Get to Blue at dawn and make a few runs through the pool. You might be smiling by the time 9a rolls around. :cool:

Rolling out a 2:00 a.m.? To quote the Stones "I ain't got that much Jam!" :eek:

sinktip
06-22-2005, 10:01 PM
Philster,

2:00, a big deal? Just call me Schmuckers ;) I liked the "Some Girls" reference though!

Russ,

You don't have to preach anymore, I'm a convert. So much so, I'm offering to let Sean leave his 16' toy in my safe keeping when he moves to the right coast.

flytyer
06-22-2005, 11:10 PM
'Tip,

If he agrees to your generous offer to "babysit" his 16' Solstice, he may have a hard time prying it from your grasp. As the old timers I knew in the coal fields of Pennsylvania would have said, "You'd best be gettin' y'er own now."

Salmo_g
06-23-2005, 12:33 PM
Sean,

I haven't been there in a month now, but was contemplating this weekend. I haven't met most of you yet, but would like to meet more, as I'm usually the only fly rodder I see on the Cowlitz. Sunday works best for me this weekend. I've got a small sled, however, that I usually bring. You're welcome to ride and not have to arrange a shuttle.

It looks like the Cowlitz isn't getting a very large run this year, due to a large loss of fry/pre-smolts a couple years ago when the ozone water treatment went down for a while. The reports I'm hearing keep saying it's slow fishing. However, there is lots of casting room.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

Philster
06-23-2005, 01:04 PM
Sean,
I've got a small sled, however, that I usually bring. You're welcome to ride and not have to arrange a shuttle.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

Hey Sean, I would jump on that offer if I was you. I know you're not going to be here long, so you should maximize your opportunities. I have lots of options. I'm definitely down if you still want, but dude, blastin' up and down the river... Hard to pass up.

sean
06-23-2005, 01:14 PM
Hmm...

The sled option does sound nice and if there is no way to fit 3 guys and you do not mind Philster I may take that option...

Salmo what time you thinking about starting at? Can we fit three?

-sean

Salmo_g
06-23-2005, 02:32 PM
Yeah, I've got room for three, but I might be one short on PFDs that are required on board. So if someone could bring one, that'd be good. Arriving at the river about 9 sounds good to me. I can't beat the bait blasters, as they launch around 3:00 AM I think.

How about email me for phone number exchange? I'd rather not post that on the net.

If you guys are both expert Spey casters, I'm gonna' hafta' have ya' look the other way when I cast. Maybe I should just bring single handed rods, except there's a couple spots where I need the long one. Oh well.

I always launch at Mission and stay below Blue Creek, sorta' as a matter of principle, and it's not so crowded.

If one or both of you are driving down from Seattle, we could meet at Tumwater and not take all rigs to the river.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

Philster
06-23-2005, 02:50 PM
Email sent Salmo.

Phil

sean
06-23-2005, 02:54 PM
Ah the plan is coming together. Sounds like it might be best for Phil to meet you in tumwater and you guys drive down from there. THe cow has some serious big runs so fitting three guys in will be easy.

My parents live in Onalaska and I will be down there already. I will just meet you at the mission launch at 9am.

Sending my cell phone # to both your email addresses now.

Expert speycaster :chuckle: Those words and my name have never been said in the same sentence.

-sean

flytyer
06-23-2005, 06:18 PM
Sean-

Salmo is going to ruin your reputation as a sucky caster.

sinktip
06-23-2005, 10:47 PM
Me thinks Mr. Ransom is far too modest.

Salmo_g
06-24-2005, 05:52 PM
Wait until I wow 'em with my personal Spey invention I call the jig and bobber cast! I only have one Spey line (that isn't a shooting head) set up for tips, so I sometimes use weighted flies and a floating line. Expressions of amazement abound when in one schwell foop I lift the jig, er, I mean weighted fly, from the dangle (just learned that as a Spey casting term - gotta' love it) and floop it up, across, and over, to kerplunk, the place it begins its next drift. I almost persuaded one fellow that it's more efficient than a spinning rod. Alas, I haven't caught a steelhead using that method yet. Probably too disgraceful.

Actually, last trip out, I had the single Spey down to where it looked like I really knew what I was doing. I kept waiting to lasso my neck, but it didn't happen, that time, anyway.

Spey casting has provided me a lot of entertainment. But it's also reminded me of how it feels to be a novice caster again. I've often cringed when I see an angler working so hard to cast and getting poor results. I wondered why anybody would do it. Ergo, Salmo tries Spey casting; poor form and poor technique equal poor result. Ah, yeah, now I remember.

I see a subtle strategy emerging. OK guys, the 40' caster goes through the run first, OK?

And there might even be a fish or two in the river. Sunday should be good.