The Shadfest Begins!!!!!!! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: The Shadfest Begins!!!!!!!

bonefishmon
06-21-2005, 09:39 PM
I'm still shaking! Hit my favorite Hickory Shad spot at 8:30 this evening. Cowbells were ringing in my ears as I walked towards the full moon high tide with anticipation of finally getting a bass in the 50's. Armed with my old and trusty Silstar 10 wt. the first shad hit on the first cast. Bought the fish in to the rocks near my feet and SLURP! Gone! Line is departing quickly, now backing...ping. Broke of the 15 lb. test Climax on the hook set. Ran back to the car for the 30 lb. test and another rod. Caught another shad on the lighter rod. Pulled it up onto the rocks and cast a 7 inch shad concoction out fifteen feet with the ten weight. SLURP!!!!! It ate this God ugly first time attempt at a shad imitaion before I could even give it a strip. The monster rolled on the fly and I froze at the sight of her. Said Shad fly was still dry and lying in the surface film. In my mind I was trying to recall all the mistakes I've made over the years as this hot fish was melting backing of the reel in it's attempt to reach Fisher's Island, NY. My heart is racing! Should I tighten the drag? Losing backing soooo fast. What about the subsuface rocks and weeds? Here we go again. I just closed my eyes and started praying and the fish cooled down for a moment. She came up about 175 yards out. The head shake was like none I have ever experienced. Dorsal was VERY far from her tail. No fork in the tail> (Bluefish). Whew! After about 15 minutes I managed to gain back half of the backing and she headed towards the dock about 80 yards away. OK it's muscle time now. Got her in to where I could she her. Ping! Straightened the hook. Short line release! Back to the tying bench. Will try again when my tennis elbow settles down! I would love to know how big she was. Anyone want to give this a try? Of course it's hit or miss as in anywhere but somewhat consistent.

Phil :Eyecrazy:

juro
06-21-2005, 09:57 PM
Phil -

You're killing me! Adrian, Sean, etc - we talked about doing this I think it's time to put in an all-nighter soon.

I have a plan - the tuna guys do it... put two Atlantis lines on one giant shad fly and wrassle it to the shore old school!

Smcdermott
06-21-2005, 10:15 PM
Phil,

Count me in. I have some big flies and a 12wt that needs some test casting. Juro, I am not convinced you need the atlantis in this spot. In fact I think the longer cast might be a hindrance in this instance. I'll take my shot with as little line out to start as possible.

Sean

juro
06-21-2005, 10:21 PM
Choose your own weapon of course, but my 600 grains are going to be much easier to throw all night even with a shad fly on, like no strain. Also I prefer to have as much bent graphite as possible with excessive amounts of backing out of the reel, the easiest time for a fish to throw a hook or run the angler around.

But it will be fun to compare!

bonefishmon
06-22-2005, 08:02 AM
Just let me know when you are ready. Sean is right about the casting. The cows stay close to home which is along the drop offs in the rocks. Lazy bunch they are laying up in the eddies waiting for free meals. Pretty soon we'll have names for some of them. Bring the yaks. Nantucket sleigh rides anyone? Ram Island is a short paddle away. High tide is best. Last night it was dead high. Not even moving! The shad begin to show around 8:30 pm. Oh. Also have a small spot where we can sight fish at night thanks to a street light.

Phil

Adrian
06-22-2005, 09:40 AM
Hey Phil, how about Friday evening?

I have to fly to London on Saturday so my week-end is shot and most of next week too. I'll be driving back from the Burlington office Friday p.m. so a detour via the CT/RI border is eminently do-able. :smokin:

Dble Haul
06-22-2005, 09:56 AM
Can I play too? :D

Phil, I sent you a PM. :wink:

Mattb
06-22-2005, 10:05 AM
I've been looking for an excuse to throw this guy:

http://photos16.flickr.com/20812185_458d9e3fd3_o.jpg

bonefishmon
06-22-2005, 07:26 PM
Hey Phil, how about Friday evening?

I have to fly to London on Saturday so my week-end is shot and most of next week too. I'll be driving back from the Burlington office Friday p.m. so a detour via the CT/RI border is eminently do-able. :smokin:

Looks like I'll be on the Natchaug River camping Friday night with the kids. As it is I'll have to leave there Fri. night for a Foxwoods Steve Winwood shoot and then head back to camping. Look me up when you get back! Love to have you over!

Phil

bonefishmon
06-22-2005, 07:30 PM
I've been looking for an excuse to throw this guy:

http://photos16.flickr.com/20812185_458d9e3fd3_o.jpg

Great looking fly Matt! The shad are in the 15" range so bigger is better. The bait and switch method tends to get them excited. Are you prepared to loss those feathers?!!! LOL! Sure. Come on over. I'll pm you my phone number.

Phil

bonefishmon
06-22-2005, 09:44 PM
Big fish on with a storm front heading my way. LIGHTNING!!!!! Tried to break her off.....snap! Broke near the tip. Got soaked running back to the car. It was either the rod or me. Bummer...rod can be replaced but no warranty. Trusty old Silstar of fifteen years caught some tremendous fish over many bodies of water. Tarpon, Jacks, Cuda, Blues, Stripers and even a Fluke! Sorry to see her go but happy she made it this far. I will miss her dearly. Was an RPLX copycat. Anyone got one they don't want? Met a guide from Fl. once at a gas station filling up his skiff. Boat had five Silstars on it that he swore by! Too bad they are no longer available. Paid $70.00 for it new. Time to build a ten wt..

Phil

bonefishmon
06-22-2005, 09:56 PM
Phil,

Count me in. I have some big flies and a 12wt that needs some test casting. Juro, I am not convinced you need the atlantis in this spot. In fact I think the longer cast might be a hindrance in this instance. I'll take my shot with as little line out to start as possible.

Sean

Hey Sean! Come ASAP while the tides are right. A longer rod would help in keeping them off the bottom. Lost a fish to the rocks before that lightning came.
Pulled the fly and a smaller one ate the fly when it came loose. 27 or so inches.
I did get a keeper on a five inch deceiver tonight. My son got one also. Complianing of a sore arm.

Phil

Smcdermott
06-23-2005, 08:25 AM
Phil.

Unfortunately I can't make it this week. I will be in your area on the boat Sunday so it is good to hear there are big fish around. I will check in with you next week.

Sean

grizz0707
06-23-2005, 05:55 PM
Hi Phil,
I aent you a PM. I can make it saturday. the drive from PA is about 5 hours. What do you think? thanks
fish we must,
grizz