leader stiff or limp [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: leader stiff or limp

tws
06-21-2005, 08:58 PM
Currently I'm using maxima the green stuff for the 8 inch butt leader attached to my fly line. to this i attach via loop my tapered or furled leader and to that i attach a tippet.

Unfortunatley this short length of maxima butt leader is rather stiff (25lb test for my 6 wt rod). When i cast the maxima remains coiled like a pigs tail...

i suspect it may be responsible for poor leader turn-over.

can anyone suggest a suitable butt leader material that is approx .025 dia. and NOT STIFF?

i recently decided to embed the butt leader section into the fly line using this device.

http://www.feather-craft.com/2005MAster/images/2005B/798.jpg

I'd rather use some mono that is limp or at least something that won't remain coiled. can anyone suggest a suitable material mono or other for this critical butt section? Maybe even a tapered leader if it has a large butt diameter .025

thanks,

tws

baldmountain
06-21-2005, 10:24 PM
Hey that is a cool doodad. Where'd you get it?

Have you tried using a piece of rubber to straighten the leader before casting? (An old piece of bicycle inner tube?)

ashbourn
06-21-2005, 10:33 PM
The butt should be stiff and the tip should be soft. The softer the tip the better. I would go Maxima is very stiff even there green that is the softest is stiff.

tws
06-21-2005, 10:37 PM
baldmountain,

yes, i've tried to straighten the butt section with rubber but no luck...

i've just ordered the above device...

going to go thru my fly lines and insert the perfect butt sections.

just need to find the best mono or other

tws

zugbugz
06-22-2005, 01:18 AM
I learned of this from a local fly shop. Nail knot a leader butt with perfection loop to the fly line using Sunset brand "Amnesia" memory free shooting line...available from many fly shops or online at places such as Cabelas. It's available in 15lb, 20lb, 25lb, 30lb and 40lb. It has no memory to speak of and its stiff enough to turn over your leader perfectly. As a bonus, it is a bright red color which makes it a great strike indicator. I recommend the 30lb or use 40lb for heavier lines. Give it a try...works great! :)

Zugbugz

ashbourn
06-22-2005, 01:48 AM
baldmountain,

yes, i've tried to straighten the butt section with rubber but no luck...

I would not use a leader straightener use your hand. The rubber can heat up the leader too much making it act funny. You might want to change your leader formula.

zugbugz
06-22-2005, 02:13 AM
Baldmountain, I forgot to mention in my recommendation of the amnesia shooting line as a butt section that the line will have to be stretched when first tied on...after that, it works great! I also agree with ashbourn as far as using fingers to straighten or stretch the line. :cool:

Zug

baldmountain
06-22-2005, 06:53 AM
I also agree with ashbourn as far as using fingers to straighten or stretch the line. :cool:

I always burn myself if I use my hand to straighten the leader. :(

One of the other things I forgot to mention is that I don't tie a mono loop to the end of the fly line. I just make a small loop at the end of the fly line and then use some 20# mono to whip finish the loop in place. Then add a little zap a gap to smooth it out. Instead of turning over a mono loop at the end of your line you are turning over fly line. Seems to work pretty well.

fcch
06-22-2005, 12:57 PM
TW,

I use Maxima brown as the waters here are stained yellow a bit.

If you can't get the coils out of your maxima, ... It could be old stock too.

I use 25-30 lb butts on 5wt lines and like it (30# on wf and 25# on DT's).

I tie all my leaders on 100% maxima, ... right down to the tippet. The rubber won't always do the trick the first time. I stretch the mono too, not just friction from the inner tube.

Good luck, ... a leader that won't turn over is one of life's unpleasantries. ;)

pescaphile
06-22-2005, 02:57 PM
In case you're not doing this, remember to hold the leader material under tension for some time after using your fingers or inner tube to straighten it. This makes a big difference. Simply pulling the leader through the leader straightener is nowhere near as effective.

The best leader butt material I've ever used is "Hal Janssen's Leader Control Butt Material." I bought a spool of it quite a few years ago and it is the perfect blend between stiffness, diameter, and straightenability. I bought a spool of 30lb 0.024" dia and know they had 25lb too. Do a search on Google and you might find some.

tws
06-22-2005, 09:17 PM
Thanks everyone!

excellent recommendations...

i'll post back with my sucess in a few days...

cheers,

tws