North East Warmwater Clave [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: North East Warmwater Clave

Adrian
06-15-2005, 07:59 AM
How about it this year?

I even picked up a Mass F/W licence yesterday so I can now fish Quentin's Carp hotspot (if he shows me where it is :lildevl: )

Kayaks, Johnboats, River/Lake wade, whatever......

Thoughts?

Dble Haul
06-15-2005, 08:05 AM
I'm down for whatever you might want to do.

And we're still gonna hit the CT River sometime, right? :) (I know, I need to call you about that.)

juro
06-15-2005, 08:23 AM
I'd love to try for a big pike on a fly...

Dble Haul
06-15-2005, 12:43 PM
Big pike on a fly in the summer is tough here in New England. It's not impossible, but it's tough. A much better time is early through late spring, and again in the fall. Chasing big pike in the fall is tough for me because I'm usually down at the shore chasing stripers, blues, and albacore.

Not enough fishing time to divide my attention and efforts! :mad: :rolleyes:

Quentin
06-28-2005, 09:46 PM
How about it this year?

I even picked up a Mass F/W licence yesterday so I can now fish Quentin's Carp hotspot (if he shows me where it is :lildevl: )

Kayaks, Johnboats, River/Lake wade, whatever......

Thoughts?

Sounds good to me.

Adrian, I'll send a PM with info for the carp spot. I haven't been there since early spring but I'm sure the carp are there!

Q

ashbourn
06-28-2005, 11:32 PM
I think I would be game. Where would this be???

teflon_jones
06-29-2005, 12:43 PM
I'm interested. When and where?

Adrian
06-30-2005, 11:09 AM
O,K, - bcak from UK jet-lagged and overworked - I will post a few thoughts over the w/e

dewey
07-01-2005, 09:30 PM
I am game. May I suggest Lake Champlain for exceptional smallmouth and good pike fishing? Similar lakes in NH?

Adrian
07-02-2005, 09:02 AM
I wouldn't mind a shot at some big bronzebacks - NH would be closer for me - Winnepesaukee sounds awesome but lots of other water traffic. Smaller "No Motors" waters to fish from Kayak & Canoe might be a bit more fun.

Any more thoughts?

ashbourn
07-02-2005, 07:08 PM
I wouldn't mind a shot at some big bronzebacks - NH would be closer for me - Winnepesaukee sounds awesome but lots of other water traffic. Smaller "No Motors" waters to fish from Kayak & Canoe might be a bit more fun.

Any more thoughts?

I 2nd no motor waters.

teflon_jones
07-02-2005, 08:00 PM
I 3rd the no motors motion. In the middle of summer it gets pretty crazy on a lot of the bigger lakes.

Dble Haul
07-05-2005, 10:07 AM
Any further developments here?

Adrian
07-05-2005, 12:04 PM
Here are a few parameters:

1) Where?

A 'no- motors' lake in Mass or Southern NH, with adequate parking, where folks can kayak, canoe, float ube etc. but with decent shore access for those on foot.

2) When?

Before the end of August - September brings major saltwater committments - but see 3 below

3) Duration?

One day or two? I'm not sure - if travelling any distance a stop-over is nice plus allows for apres-fish etc. Accomodation prices generally drop after Labour Day.
Suggestions, thoughts, alternatives ...

ashbourn
07-05-2005, 04:11 PM
2 days

I would think 1st or 2nd week of aug. After the 2nd week alot of saltwater fishings starts, :) stripers :)

Quentin
07-05-2005, 09:28 PM
I agree that we should stay away from the water skiers and jet skis. It would be nice to have the option to fish a variety of types of water, either on the same body of water or at other nearby locations. I'd think that camping and low cost accomodations would be available for most of the places we would consider. Let's hear some options and do some research and see what we can come up with. Champlain and Winnipesaukee are high on my list of places to fish someday, but they might be a little too big for my boat :hihi: .

Q

baldmountain
07-05-2005, 10:01 PM
I think everyone has a favorite place to fish. For me I grew up fishing in the Concord river. I caught a lot of bass there growing up. My dad tells me that ther are some pike to catch there too. But the Concord river gets a LOT of fishing pressure. (And is not shore friendly fishing. You need a boat...)

Lets hear some other people's favorites and choose a place that is central to everyone. (i.e. not to far for everyone to drive. Oh, and are we going to do some tailgating and BBQ? Yum!)

Oh, I don't have a boat so I'll be interested in places that I can fish from shore...

(A boat is on my list of things to buy... :D )

ashbourn
07-06-2005, 10:51 PM
I would think Harriman State Park would be perfect but alot of places you cant wade.

Dble Haul
07-07-2005, 08:29 AM
Where is Harriman State Park?

We're going to have to be specific with our suggestions, since we all come from differrent areas up here.

Adrian
07-08-2005, 08:34 AM
I believe it is in New York State. I was thinking of something a bit more Central to New England - Mass / NH / VT borders maybe?

teflon_jones
07-08-2005, 08:58 AM
Are people more partial to a stream/river or a pond/lake trip? That makes a big difference.

For a stream trip, what about a trip out to the Deerfield? There's camping in Mohawk Trail State Forest, and a few hotels nearby for anybody that's a softie. ;) Most of the stream upstream from the state park is wadeable.

ashbourn
07-12-2005, 02:02 PM
Harriman is in NY and about 30 min from NJ

teflon_jones
07-15-2005, 10:38 AM
Anybody else have any suggestions?

Bueller? Bueller?

juro
07-15-2005, 10:48 AM
They all sound good. I am iffy on August but will try to partake.

soloflyfisher
07-19-2005, 04:55 PM
You might want to consider the Belgrade Lakes in Maine . . . the Belgrades are a tad far to drive to, I know, but they hold a nice mix of fish (pike, LMB, SMB, salmon, trout) . . . they do allow motors, but the traffic usually isn't too bad.

teflon_jones
07-20-2005, 09:15 AM
Belgrade is too far for me to go. The Deerfield is about as much as I can manage, and that's pushing it.

Anybody interested in a smaller get together to go after some LMB in Southeast MA? Just a day trip?

Adrian
07-20-2005, 10:25 AM
Belgrade looks a bit of a haul but might be worth it.

There must be something a bit closer in the Northern Mass/NH/VT region?

Where's jfbasser when you need him? :lildevl:

I would be up for a S.E. Mass day-trip :) I would probably combine it with a trip out to the Cape.

I plan to check out the the Hudosn / Croton river this week-end - weather permitting. I accidentally hooked a huge carp there a few years back in early spring and I've heard reports of SMB activity.

I also took a ride up the the Enfield area of the Connecticut river last week-end with the kayak but the flow was too high for paddling - nice looking water though. Plenty of shore access but tough for flyfishing.

BigDave
07-20-2005, 10:40 AM
There are good bass ponds in central MA. A-1 site and Lake Rohunta - which is right off Rt 2. I think the south shore around Plymouth area is loaded with bass ponds but don't know anything about access or motor regulations. The pond map directory on the mass wildlife site might be a good place to start....I think they even provide a 'best bets' for LM and SM bass...

jfbasser
07-20-2005, 11:54 AM
Adrian,

I am only familiar with those 150 HP and above lakes :lildevl:

but, Mary's Pond in Rochester, MA (SE mass) has good canoe and wade access...no motors either! (I still sneak up once in a while, back the trailer down, and spin up the old four blade stainless prop to throw out a 80 foot rooster tail)..it is a "cape" bowl lake with clear water (a 6 weight bass lake LM and SM)...across the road from Mary's is a weed choked (9 wt LM) lake (Leonards) that has easy canoe access but because of the soft bottom is not very wadeable. So that area offers two options at the ends of the spectrum of FW Bass fishing within a very short drive (3 to 4 minutes)...Easy access from 195 so getting to the Cape from there should be straightforward.

Adrian
07-20-2005, 12:29 PM
Wow John, that was fast :smokin:

Those two sound like great options - 9wt LMB has me intrigued :lildevl: I'm thinking stealth / kayak with surface poppers & sliders.

Who's up for this?

Best time?" - I'm pretty much limited to week-ends.

jfbasser
07-20-2005, 12:35 PM
I just ordered a 6 weight...so I am game for a Saturday if someone will lend me some wooly buggers :smokin:

teflon_jones
07-20-2005, 12:53 PM
I'm going to the Cape for a week of vacation starting Saturday so I won't be around for any fishing until 7/31 (unless you want to meet me for stripers on the Cape!).

I'm always interested in fishing new water so just let me know the time and place and I'll be there for a day trip! I'll probably use my float tube.

soloflyfisher
07-21-2005, 08:23 PM
There are good bass ponds in central MA. A-1 site and Lake Rohunta - which is right off Rt 2.

I fish these regularly and agree they're great bass ponds. I enjoy Rohunta in particular. Motors are allowed, but usually it's not too crowded. I fish it in a canoe. There's also Lake Mattawa off of route 2, which is more of a trout pond.

One of my absolute favorite places to fish is Willard Pond in Antrim, NH. It's a small, quiet trout/smallmouth pond that doesn't allow gas motors and is never crowded. I never catch lots of fish there or very big fish, but it's scenic and undeveloped and just a pleasant place to spend a day on the water. (Please keep this one secret--I'd hate to see it get too popular.)

Quentin
07-22-2005, 06:42 PM
I like the sound of the Rohunta/Mattawa area. Check out the maps and species info at http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/dfw_pond.htm . Quabbin is nearby as well, although I'm not sure how good it is in the summer. Canoes, kayaks and wading are not allowed on Quabbin, but small craft can be launched on adjacent Pottapaug Pond. They also rent rowboats and motorboats for very reasonable rates. Don't be put off by the size -- boating areas 2 and 3 are all small coves and access is strictly for fishing so there are no swimmers, waterskiers or jet skis.

Q

soloflyfisher
07-22-2005, 08:23 PM
Small craft can be launched on adjacent Pottapaug Pond. They also rent rowboats and motorboats for very reasonable rates. Don't be put off by the size -- boating areas 2 and 3 are all small coves and access is strictly for fishing so there are no swimmers, waterskiers or jet skis.
Q

I've caught some nice bass at Pottapaug--and it's a pretty pleasant place to fish. Plus Quentin is right that the boat rental option might be useful for those who are currently boatless . . .

Wee Hooker
08-07-2005, 11:23 AM
New guy here who has been lurking on this site on/off for a while. Not new to WWFF though. Warmwater (&Saltwater) FF is my passion for the last 10-12 years. ( Some of you might recognize the handle from other sites) I'd be interested in meeting /fishing with a few of you if this thing comes off within a 1/2 days drive of SW Mass. Have yaks, canoe, jon and skiff along with a few :roll: fly rods to help out with.

Dave

Quentin
08-15-2005, 07:40 PM
Looks like we're running out of weekends . . .

Anyone still interested in putting something together for this summer?

My recent obsession with pike has me thinking of the A-1 site now (is that the same as Assabet Res. #1?) and nearby Chauncey Pond/Lake Chauncy (see Central District chart http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/dfwpike.htm#CENT ).

Q