FALSE EMAILS - ignore [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: FALSE EMAILS - ignore

juro
06-15-2005, 06:36 AM
I have been receiving false emails with attachment from 219-89-105-28.jetstart.xtra.co.nz (Inet addr 219.89.105.28 - New Zealand?) "masquerading" as email from the forum... webmaster@, support@, johndoe@, etc - most of which do not exist.

I've received similar emails pretending to be paypal, bankamerica, all kinds of SPOOFs.

Here is an example of the text from today:

Dear Flyfishingforum Member,

We have temporarily suspended your account

This might be due to either of the following reasons:

1. A recent change in your personal information (i.e. change of address).
2. Submiting invalid information during the initial sign up process.
3. An innability to accurately verify your selected option of subscription due to an internal error within our processors.
See the details to reactivate your Flyfishingforum account.

Sincerely,The Flyfishingforum Support Team

+++ Attachment: No Virus (Clean)
+++ Flyfishingforum Antivirus ---

Obviously, "they" have not suspended my account or I would not be typing this.

There is an attachment that I am sure is infected. Do not open this attachment, just delete the whole email.

One good trick is to view the full header info and you can see where the spoof'ed emails are originating despite the false "From" address.

Moonlight
06-15-2005, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the heads up I heard about similar issues with Pay Pal over a year ago and haven't used pay pal since!!! The web would be alot bigger without the threat of becoming "Stolen" by hack's.

Steve_sullivan
06-16-2005, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the heads up I heard about similar issues with Pay Pal over a year ago and haven't used pay pal since!!! The web would be alot bigger without the threat of becoming "Stolen" by hack's.

Ummm, that isnt a very good reason to not use paypal. People do the same thing with Bank of America, bank of <insert popular bank>. I got one from citibank and I have never used citibank. This has NOTHING to do with hacks. When you configured your email client did you notice you could put any "from" email address you want? You could put "president@whitehouse.gov", with the name George Bush, and then send someone a email. Doesnt mean you hacked into the whitehouse (PS, DONT DO THIS, it is a good (or at least possible) way to be visited by the SS).

In html, you can make the name of the link anything you want. You can name the picture of your daughter "jennys1stbday". You could also make it www.whitehouse.gov. When you clicked on the link and it directed you to www.weareevilhackers.ru/paypal you should of gotten a hint you werent in kansas anymore!

Bob Pauli
06-16-2005, 11:07 PM
Moonlight,
I had similar experience to yours. Continuous hacking immediately after joining PayPal, then PayPal not cooperating when I tried, several times, to cancel my account.