Which line best to use for bass [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Which line best to use for bass

1copper
06-13-2005, 08:23 PM
Hello, I'm fishing my area reservoirs and am wondering which line is the best for bass. Most of the bass are holding at about 10-15 feet of water. If I use a long leader on a floating line will it get down that deep. Or would a sinking tip line or sinking line be better with a shorter leader?

carbon1986
06-13-2005, 10:23 PM
I'm by no means an expert but I think that if they're past about 7 feet, you're going to need a sinking or at least a sink tip line to get streamers down to them. If you use floating line you would need a leader about 18 feet long and a super heavy fly to get anywhere near the fish. JMO, but I think you'd benefit from a sinking line in this situation.

Dble Haul
06-14-2005, 08:30 AM
I agree with carbon. Even if you did use a floating line an a very, very long leader you would probably have diffficulty detecting some strikes from bass. A sink tip or sinking line would be much better.

teflon_jones
06-14-2005, 01:13 PM
Sink tip line is definitely needed. Anything past about 5' and I think you need one or else you get a weird retrieve because a floating line is constanly going go be pulling the lure up through the water column. The jigging effect can work, but all in all I'd rather have the sink tip. Scientific Angler's Mastery Series are what I use.

1copper
06-14-2005, 02:47 PM
Thanks guys much appreciated.

1copper
06-14-2005, 02:50 PM
How 'bout a bass bug line. Would that give the same effect as a sinking or sinking tip. Is that line more specialized for bass fishing?

Dble Haul
06-14-2005, 03:06 PM
Bass bug lines are floaters with a specialized head that is designed to help cast bulky flies. I have never seen a bass bug line that wasn't a floater.

There are bass tapers in intermediates and sinkers, but they are labeled as bass tapers and not bass bug lines.

Hope this helps.

1copper
06-14-2005, 08:42 PM
So with the sink tip line, you just cut off the amount of fly line and replace it with the sinking tip line? I've never realized what a staggering assortment of fly lines there are. I have a 5WT and a 7Wt. would you just outfit each with a floating and a sinking and leave it at that. And I guess I''ll need an extra spool for each?

There are so many things to buy its driving me crazy. :Eyecrazy:

wouldnt it be easier to just buy the SA quad tip and change as needed?

flyjkol
06-14-2005, 10:01 PM
the sinktip line is a complete line all its own. you dont need to use any of your floating line for this. I would just stick with a sinking line for the 7wt, the 5 is a little light for bassing. The extra spool would definitly help too.

baldmountain
06-15-2005, 05:40 AM
I would just stick with a sinking line for the 7wt, the 5 is a little light for bassing.

Nah, I do all my bassing with a 4wt. There are folks who fish for bass with 3, 2, 1, and even 0 wt rods. You aren't going to throw huge bass bugs very far but a 4 wt is fine for throwing streamers up to size 4, woolly buggers and foam poppers. (Although size 4 is pushing it.) Plus it is a LOT more fun landing a bass on a 4 wt than on Saltwater tackle. :D

juro
06-15-2005, 06:23 AM
I used to FF for bass quite a bit. I never used a sinking or intermediate line because I enjoyed the topwater action so much. I am a big fan of the Rio clouser taper line, man does that line rock if you haven't tried it you should. Large poppers, sliders, hair frogs, mice, gotta love a fish that will eat a mammal :)

When I went subsurface (rarely) I used a bunny leech or little clouser or marabou wooly bugger on the same line, just let it sink. I didn't fish deep for bass.

I prefer to use at least a 7wt for bass because where I fished them either the herring runs used to grow the bass xtra large (up to 8#) and you couldn't move them or they were early June smallmouths on Winnepesaukee up to 5+ pounds.

I could see using a sinking line with crayfish patterns for mid-day bronzebacks, but if you came back early or in the evening the same fish would blast a popper in the same spot.

baldmountain
06-15-2005, 08:26 AM
I am a big fan of the Rio clouser taper line, man does that line rock if you haven't tried it you should. Large poppers, sliders, hair frogs, mice, gotta love a fish that will eat a mammal :)

The Clouser? The RIO pages say that that line is a coldwater line. The taper looks good though. I've been using the Selective Trout and was considering trying the Nymph line. Especially since I fish a lot of streamers and subsurface bugs.

Dang! So many lines so little time, (and cash!) Plus all the line variations for Spey casting.

Dble Haul
06-15-2005, 09:05 AM
The Rio is a coldwater line in the sense that it won't work well in tropical climates. I've used it in very warm weather here in the northeast and have no troubles.

FWIW, the line also comes in a warmwater (tropics) version.

Also, 7 and 8 weight rods for bass have their place when the fish are big, the flies are big, and the fish need to be pulled out of heavy cover. Heck, I've even used a 9 before and was thankful that I had it.

teasels
06-16-2005, 05:50 PM
I would go to an extra spool and a full sinking line long leader 7-9 ft and streamers clouser ect. that is what I use and I catch all day deep
(20 ft ) takes patients to let the fly sink but it can be worth it.
Used this in Texas Louisiana Florida Georgia and Arizona . Now I use it in Illinois and I catch fish (not always )(honesty) but I catch fish.