Red Tide [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Red Tide

Adrian
06-10-2005, 01:01 PM
It's a bit scary when you read about so many familar places. :(

Let's all pray that this stuff clears out soon and life can return to "normal".

Red tide story on Yahoo (http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20050610/ts_csm/aredtide_1;_ylt=AnBbBJeIS0HD60_bzxfB0djYeMUA;_ylu= X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl)

flydoc
06-10-2005, 06:00 PM
Adrian- read a scary story in the Cape Cod Times about this stuff- they said there is concern that this bloom is so dense that the algae are starting to form encased spores that could sink to the sea floor, setting up the possibility of recurrent blooms in future years- God, I hope they're wrong on that one.....
Doc Shep

FishHawk
06-11-2005, 04:37 AM
I think it has to do with Global Warming. Hope I'm wrong on this.
FishHawk

juro
06-11-2005, 07:55 AM
It's caused by a constant influx of freshwater into the coastal waters, or at least that allows the explosion to occur.

Chris
06-11-2005, 02:58 PM
Yup,
The word is all the rain is the primary cause. Pouring all of the untreated over flow effluent from sewage plants, and nitrates and phosphorous from farms gives those buggers a lot of bottom of the food chain chow to boost their life cycle in to high gear.

BigDave
06-13-2005, 09:02 AM
Whatever it is it stinks. Fried bluefish is great but there's nothing like a bucket of fresh refuge steamers....

Lau
06-14-2005, 02:39 PM
The Newburyport daily News reported last week that this year there were only 97 herring counted at the Lawrence dam. Last year there were 15,000. Since herring eat plankton, is there a relationship between the red tide and a dramatic drop in the herring population? Lau

Adrian
06-15-2005, 08:44 AM
Lau

Red tide algae doesn't seem to affect fish physically and there is apparently no risk to eating finfish from affected waters. The same is true of Lobsters - not sure about crabs though.

I think the toxins take a while to build a concentration in shellfish and presumably takes some time to clear out once the algae have gone away. Some finfish in the Tropics are known to accumulate toxins in their flesh - Barracuda being the best known example.

Your question on herring decline has been a big concern along the entire North Eastern seaboard for a number of years. Overharvesting, habitat loss and mis-management of fisheries in general are the likely culprits.

Lau
06-15-2005, 10:22 AM
My thought was that there are not enough fish eating the algae; therefore, the bloom is greater than it would have been.. Thanx for the reply. Lau