flats foot? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: flats foot?

OC
06-10-2005, 11:22 AM
What type of foot wear do you all wear on the Cape flats? Seeing I will be fishing only a few days I was thinking of a pair of cheap high top sneakers to use over my wadders. Will that work with a pair of gravel guards to keep sand out? Will they be confortable enough for long walks on soft sand to make it through the day?

sean
06-10-2005, 11:28 AM
Steve what size foot you got?

I picked up a new pair of saltwater wading sandals made by Bite that are very slick. If they would fit you are more than welcome to borrow mine.

-sean

juro
06-10-2005, 11:30 AM
I also have a spare pair that would work if they fit your feet, thin neoprene with a regular sneaker sole. Seans flats shoes are super and I am going to get a pair of those when mine wear out.

BigDave
06-10-2005, 11:31 AM
Your regular freshwater wading boots should work fine...that's what I use. Some sand will get in but emptying them out for the long walk back is no big deal.

I usually go barefoot as of July 1st and sport a fleece/windbreaker to keep the core warm. Not for everyone but it's an option...just watch out for frisky horseshoe crabs :Eyecrazy:

juro
06-10-2005, 11:39 AM
John Morin's and Bigdave's toes really get around :D

FredA
06-10-2005, 11:46 AM
I use the NRS booties and they work fine on the sand. Slick on the rocks though if you don't get the sand of the soles. I like to go barefoot too but the thought of a horseshoe crab mounting my foot gives me the willy's.

OC
06-10-2005, 12:05 PM
Thank you gentlemen for the help. My regular foot size is 9.5 or 10 and I think my wader boot size is 11 or so for my simms breathables. My boots are spiked and they may be great for keeping those pesky horseshoe crabs from getting any ideas. But you know I sort of like those old guys and wouldn't want to hurt them.
It would be great to go barefoot but after living in Hawaii for all those years I have turned into a whimp when it comes to 60 to 70 degree water temps. Whatever happened to youth when I didn't mind 34 degree water temps and an old wet suit to surf off of Marshfield on January North Easters. I'm worried about getting cold with waders on then over heating walking the beach in my middle age now.
Hope to see you all soon.

FishHawk
06-10-2005, 12:15 PM
I'm the opposite I ware breathable bootfoot waders with lug soles. Works great for me. No sand to worry about. FishHawk :smokin:

Smcdermott
06-10-2005, 12:59 PM
OC,

My only concern with the studs would be the damage you could do to Capt. Keiths gelcoat if you take a ride over the Rip Ryder. Otherwise I would think they would be fine for a few days as long as you rinse them well.

Sean

OC
06-10-2005, 01:20 PM
I'll get or borrow some boots without the spikes. The good Captin would keel haul me if I came aboard his craft with them on. :D