North Monomoy - ch-ch-ch-changes [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: North Monomoy - ch-ch-ch-changes

juro
06-09-2005, 06:23 AM
Typically the flood in the crib was east-west then had a short west-east since the ocean floods an hour earlier than the sound. The strong force of this current rippled and carved big tiger stripes into the flat and scoured it clean.

Now it's almost completely west-east even though the tide is an hour later due to the southway constriction and the influence of the atlantic tide runs well over an hour later than Stage Harbor, almost two.

The flat seemed sterile and as featureless as a parking lot, although there was one fish landed by an unknown angler that measured in the low to mid 40's and weighed over 25 pounds, blind casting in the gut. The channel is dark with vegetation and is changing into a more estuary-like area even with the chilly water temps.

We saw one push of fish making nervous water in the low lilght, caught some feisty blues and dozens of schoolies under bait in the channel - but it was not the North Monomoy that often exceeded my dreams in days gone by.

Much of that was weather-related and there was some anxiety as I wanted it to be spectacular for my special guests, but aside from all that it seemed to have turned into an odd place over the winter.

But that's the beauty of the refuge, the cards are shuffled often enough to create new hotspots and take others away, keeps us on our toes and brings new adventures each passing year!

FredA
06-09-2005, 07:25 AM
The flat seemed sterile and as featureless as a parking lot

Flat flats seem to be the order of the day. I was struck by the lack of undulations and subtle sturcture on my first walk down the south beach flats. The bayside flats I fish normally flatten out from the NW winter winds but it's even more apparent this year. Normal tidal currents typically carve things out and improve the structure as you go through the season (wish we had mid August structure in June). With the constriction at the southway you got to figure the structure change cycle will be dampened around Monomoy, at least 'til there's a permenant breach in South Beach.

striblue
06-09-2005, 07:50 AM
Great Report Juro... Looking forward to do some scouting there soon. As the summer rolls in I have some big hopes for the light house with the new bar as well.

juro
06-09-2005, 08:06 AM
The lighthouse is spectacular this year, a moonscape of cuts, bowls and bars...

and you heard it here first boys...

BIG GIRL IS BACK!!!

doogue
06-09-2005, 11:32 AM
Ahhh, I was just a wee rookie when the Big Girl was 1st in full swing.

Seuss and I went there on a day (many moons ago) when Forum followers pulled multiple 40 inchers out of the Big Girl.

We rooks were fishing in a useless, fishless spot.

Looking forward to a trip to Chatham sometime soon,

Doogue

FishHawk
06-09-2005, 03:53 PM
Interesting report. Especially the tide issue. Will have to explore it next month.
FishHawk :smokin:

Guernseybass
06-12-2005, 01:10 PM
on the day and a bit i fished north monomoy i found plenty of structure on the back flats - and plenty of fish. pretty much by accident.

this was my first attempt at sightfishing and on the first day i saw 20/30 pods of fish but they were all too close before i saw them and I only managed 6 shots all day and blanked.

the next day i had only 1 1/2 hours on the flat, but after more advice from Stevo and remembering Juro's advice i got a 5lb fish on my third shot.

I saw a fair few fish as well - plenty in the 10/12/15lb range, but inexperience told and i spooked more than a few again.

will be back next year to try again - that 1 fish was the best buzz around.

GB