Ulcerated Bass [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Ulcerated Bass

RayStachelek
06-05-2005, 09:13 AM
Not too pretty! This is one of the worst infectioned bass with some kind of skin ulcerations we've caught. Can anyone nail it down to what the disease is or what might cause it?

I used to think this was from being in close quarters and wintering over areas, but this fish was caught in open clean waters June 5th.

Hypothesis- Should you remove this undersize/non legal fish and cull it from the others, in hopes it might help the stock stay heathly? This fish was returned to the water. It might have been better served to show as evidents to EPO's and allerting them of this problem. Does't this conditions improve or is this fish doomed?

http://castaflycharters.com/ulceratedbass2a.jpg

Jimmy
06-05-2005, 10:18 AM
I haven't seen any thing looking like that in the Long Island Sound....yet. I don't think I want to. I couldn't begin to identify the cause. Is it just a few fish or is it the majority of fish? Larger fish as opposed to smaller fish? I'll keep my eyes :Eyecrazy: and ears open around here.

gunner
06-05-2005, 11:44 AM
I hope you kept it. If so, see if your local Marine Department biologists can take a look at it to determine the cause. Don't want something like that spreading if it can be prevented.

JimW
06-05-2005, 07:03 PM
Keep it? That thing isn't getting near my cooler even for research purposes. We've been fishing hard lately and my hands are hacked, looking at something like that makes me think about investing in a boga grip or at least a bottle of purel.

sean
06-05-2005, 07:27 PM
Actually if you lick it and it tastes a little acidic is is more than likely "fungus hurryupandthrowitbackus". Nasty stuff :)

-sean

zimmjas
06-05-2005, 07:53 PM
Fired off an e-mail to The Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution to see if they might help identify what this is.

Capt. Ray, what waters did you catch this fish?

RayStachelek
06-05-2005, 10:17 PM
zimmjas,

Thanks!!! I fired off an e-mail too. Sent the thread to a friend Dr. Dave Ross, who works at Woods Hole to examine the photo. Also sent an e-mail to his friend and mine Dr. Bill K a retired professor at the University of R.I. Ocean Inst.

This bass was caught near the mid bay islands in Narragansett Bay. This bass was keeper size. Most of the fish we catch throughout the winter are much smaller, which leads me to believe it might not be a holdover stressed fish.

Chris
06-08-2005, 07:32 AM
Yuk,
I dug around and found this article. It looks as if Lymphocystis may be the ailment. Note in the description the that it appears as if the fish "were rolled in flour". This fish looks a bit like that. Kind of gives you the willies don't it?
http://www.dnrec.state.de.us/pff2.htm

RayStachelek
06-08-2005, 09:03 AM
Chris-

You might be right! Fisher's on other sites have mentioned Lymphocystis too as the culprit. Wish they had better pictures posted with the articles to compare both fish photos. Glad it isn't fatal to fish populations

Thanks...