Skittish Bones [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Skittish Bones

mitch
06-01-2005, 03:50 AM
Living here in Hawaii, it's a catch-n-kill environment. Most everything hooked is followed-up with "that's a good tasting fish". I do have access to some nice skinny water, however the bones that cruise it are big and very timid from being over-fished. I'm very much into sight fishing, but the island is rather limited to shallow water in protected areas from the Trade/Kona winds.
I use a balanced #8-outfit with Sci-Angler line that I keep greased. An assortment of flies from #4 to #8 keep my box full, with the #8s broken down even further to brass, bead-chain, and even mono eyes. Almost all have a little pink in them as I've found that that's what has worked. Leaders are at least 12 feet with the last 4-5 feet being #10 fluoro.
I don't know if it's the line slap from the final cast laying on the water, or the sound of the fly entering the water, but the bones are off in a hurry once the final cast is made. I'll keep working on my presentation.
I have also broke out my #6 saltwater rod and lined up my smaller reel accordingly. I'm in no hurry to snap this rod (SP 696), but think this is the next step to trying to get one of these bigger guys to take the fly.
What has been others' experience with lighter rods for big bones?

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. Just returned from 6 months in the Horn of Africa.

Take care all,
Mitch

petevicar
06-01-2005, 05:47 AM
Hi Mitch
I have caught a few "big bones" (over 12lbs) in the Florida Keys which is probably the most overfished place in the world.
I have always found that you must cast well away from the fish so that it doesn't spook and the fly musn't spook the fish either. You must cast sometimes 5 metres in front of it and wait for it to come.
In the Keys the flats mostly have turtle grass and flash flies tend to spook the fish. I have had most success with flies like tasty toads and merkins. Also the fly must never move towards the fish always away and if using crab patterns like merkins then very little movement is necesary, just enough that the fish sees the fly.

Pete