South Beach Report 05/31 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: South Beach Report 05/31

Sephon
05-31-2005, 08:35 PM
Started the day off right, 2 keepers back to back, 31 and 28. Our buddy, Dave Brown, the Irishman, got another one right after mine. After that, nothing of any size, the rest of the day. My father, JimS, seemed to get close with size, but nothing over the 28 mark. The big fish seemed to only be around at the beginning of the outgoing. Talked with Bob and Jay, they concurred. They only caught bigger fish at the beginning of the outgoing. Lots of fish around, numerous fish betwen 22-25 inches and plenty of wee ones, we are just not seeing the real big fish.

Is it a result of the colder weather, or the rough winter, or the recent storms passing through? I just don't know, but what I do know is that the big fish are late. But no matter what, there are always good times and good people.

Chris

Stop by "The Simms Causeway Saloon"

flydoc
05-31-2005, 10:52 PM
Chris- great to meet the other flyfishing fanatic of the mighty Simms clan- maybe we can get all three of you together for the next Rip Trip...had a blast with your dad, Brad, and the rest of the crew last year.
Doc Shep

jamie
06-01-2005, 03:35 AM
Chris, I think your Dad was just warming up and marked a few bruisers, waiting to pull the big ones out when us Limeys are over. You know, show us how it is. :chuckle:

Adrian
06-01-2005, 08:03 AM
Very encouraging - nice report!

It is still a wee bit early, most folks seem to think everything is a couple of weeks late this year which would put us at the Mid-May point. My sense is we are a bit further on than that but who knows other than the fish. The imortant thing is they are here, in good numbers and it just gets better from here on :D
I saw a reliable report of spawning activity going full blast on the Hudson a couple of weeks ago. Those 50lb cows will have the feed bag on when they arrive at the cape - any day now :smokin:

See you all out there this week-end!

Stevo
06-01-2005, 01:08 PM
Those 50lb cows will have the feed bag on when they arrive at the cape - any day now :smokin:

20lb would do me... I do hope "any day now" is soon! :)

Sephon
06-01-2005, 08:31 PM
Just a quick update for 6/1. fish caught on the outside at high tide. Not many keepers but the fish are getting bigger, heard of 2 keepers. One was 37 though. Fishing on the inside was slow until the tail end of the outgoing. Felt bad for Dennis (Rooster) told him to come down from G bouy during the hot times, and wouldn't you know it, fishing shut off once he got there.

had a good time with all the people today, always makes a slow day better. Looking forward to seeing everyone on Saturday. Will let you all know how it is tommorrow.

Chris

Paxton
06-02-2005, 06:32 AM
Chris.......appreciate your updates.....I think that we need to change your handle from "Land-Locked Grizzly" to "The Insider" :smokin:
Weather permitting, see you Sunday and mid next week. Keep on coaxing those big-ums to arrive :) Make sure that you let your Dad catch a keeper :D
Ron

teflon_jones
06-02-2005, 09:46 AM
Chris, were you fishing from shore or from a boat?

I'm taking the day off tomorrow and heading out there. Hopefully I can reverse the skunking I experienced at the Bass River on Sunday!

Sephon
06-03-2005, 07:20 PM
Another quick update from 6/2 and 6/3. Lots of fish, tons of little ones. More and more keepers being caught everyday. Like a said, lots of fish landed and they are also getting bigger. Seeing lots of fish moving through. Not many pods of big fish being seen, but some singles and doubles have been spotted criusing the flats. One a more somber note, the blues are in too. Lots of flies lost and a couple blues landed, personally landed one about 12 lbs. But it seems that it's about time for the big fish to be moving in. Had the pleasure to fish with Ken, Adam, and his dad Dave today. Still fishing with my pa, Dennis Kelly, Bob and Jay, Dave Browne, and his son Dennis (who caught 6 fish today and it's second day of ever using a fly rod). Great times.

Chris

Stop by the Simms Causeway Saloon

striblue
06-03-2005, 09:16 PM
Great to stop by for the hospitality of the Simms Causway Saloon, .... And Jim thanks for dinner at the Squire.... saw our UK contingency at the light house... and it's was great to put names to faces... See you tomorrow.... bumped into Adrian at the Light along with meeting the UK guys.... tomorrow will be a great day.

CSJ60
06-03-2005, 10:14 PM
See everyone on Saturday...last Monday I fished the lower Cape for a few hours...10 stripers 18 - 24 and one whale. That's right, one whale about 1/2 mile off shore. What a sight from shore. I have my new digital camera, my old one rest in peace. No more stories of keeper fish.... :hihi:

Simms Causway Saloon - I understand the place never shuts down. Bottoms up!!!!!

juro
06-03-2005, 10:26 PM
I have to work this weekend, but don't count me out for the season!

One thing I can say I like about this late summer... by the time I get a little daylight in my schedule the season might catch up :D

Have a great weekend guys, this seems like the right week to do the clave next year.

FishHawk
06-04-2005, 05:47 PM
Hope to vist the Saloon soon. John can't make this Rip trip as I'll be fishing the West Branch of the Deleware. FishHawk

Sephon
06-04-2005, 05:50 PM
6/4, Not too shabby. Acouple keepers landed, more spotted. Los of fish around 24-27 inches. Not much sight fishing today, fog never lifted until about 2pm. Enjoyed the day. Really enjoyed the evening with John, Adrian, Craig, Dave, Adam, Dave, Dennis, Walt, Fred, Dennis, Keith, and John Morin's charters. Thanks for stopping by the Simms Causeway Saloon.

Chris